Forum Reorganization

limetech

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from: squirrellydw on Today at 04:03:14 PM

Any chance the older versions of unraid (3.0 to 4.5) can be a separate section so we can hide/collapse them?

Yes, they will be moved to the Bilge eventually.  At present there are still several active threads in there though.

I humbly request you not deep six old information.  I know storage costs space but sometimes the information you need only is discussed in older versions.  I suggest you put them in a sub forum called older versions or something like that.

To put it in a general garbage dump doesnt seem right to me.

thanks

Any chance the older versions of unraid (3.0 to 4.5) can be a separate section so we can hide/collapse them?

Yes, they will be moved to the Bilge eventually.  At present there are still several active threads in there though.

I humbly request you not deep six old information.  I know storage costs space but sometimes the information you need only is discussed in older versions.  I suggest you put them in a sub forum called older versions or something like that.

thanks

I agree... Perhaps a sub-forum for older versions, and under it, the old 3.X, 4.1/2/3 releases....

Bilge seems a poor place for them.

thanks

Point taken.  Did some more re-org, now last category is Archive.  These topics will eventually get move there.

The reorg looks great at first glance.  I think my prototype builds thread should be moved somewhere into UCD (as it is pretty much the epitome of UCD :D) but I'm not sure where.  Hardware?  Pimp Your Rig?  I'll let you decide.

Also, if I may be so bold, could it be stickied at the top of whichever thread it ends up in?  I know a lot of new users consult it for ideas.  There's a link to it in the wiki, but besides that it can be hard to find.  No worries if you don't want to go that far.

One final request: how about a big, bold link to the wiki on the forum homepage?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a suggestion, and not terribly important, but I do like the way SageTV separates support related to beta versions from general support for the official releases.  My suggestion is to keep the "General Support" board for all 'general support', and add "Support for Beta Versions", strictly limited to problems with current and future beta versions, plus any beta testing threads.  This keeps all beta related problems and testing in one place, easy for Tom and others to check, and where it won't scare the many users who never try beta versions.

By the way, outstanding job with the testing regime, Brian!  Way to organize willing users, very productively!

Just a suggestion, and not terribly important, but I do like the way SageTV separates support related to beta versions from general support for the official releases.  My suggestion is to keep the "General Support" board for all 'general support', and add "Support for Beta Versions", strictly limited to problems with current and future beta versions, plus any beta testing threads.  This keeps all beta related problems and testing in one place, easy for Tom and others to check, and where it won't scare the many users who never try beta versions.

+1

By the way, outstanding job with the testing regime, Brian!  Way to organize willing users, very productively!

Yes - community is doing a great job, and the volunteers are learning some of the nuances they might not experience in normal array usage.

I think what's happening is:

- General Support is for "all general support" related to current released 4.X versions.

- Announcement thread for a beta/rc release gets posts related to that specific release.

- Development area is for 5.0-beta.

One final request: how about a big, bold link to the wiki on the forum homepage?

I have found two solutions to that request, but it would require limetech to do some php changes to the forum since there are no easy click install mods for it. I'll follow up with him soon to see if this could be implemented.