Forum Reorganization

limetech

I'm soon going to be reorganizing the forums.  Below is what I have in mind, comments welcome.

Why am I doing this?

• I want a non-posting board that users can subscribe to for important news such as new releases and critical bugs/issues.
  • I want an official Roadmap board where I'll post what changes are going into the next couple of releases.
  • I want to consolidate all the individual release boards into a single "General Support", with option of sub-boards if necessary.
  • I want an entire section devoted just to those building their own servers.
  • Among others.

Something like this:

Category

Board

Sub-Board

General

Announcements [non-posting]

Forum Feedback

Lounge

unRAID Server OS

General Support

Advanced Format Drives

[All the current "unRaid Server xxx" boards, w/no more new topics]

Applications

User Customizations

Development (Beta Releases)

Roadmap

Community Feedback

webGui Design

Plugin Design

Unraid Compulsive Design [props to WeeboTech]

Server Building

Motherboards and Controllers

Other Hardware

Pimp Your Rig [future ability to post albums]

Good Deals! [should this stay in General?]

LimeTech Products [moderated by limetech]

Pre-sales Support

Hardware/Installation

Installers and Resellers [moderated by company reps]

Company 1

Company 2

Bilge

Sand Box

Archive

Junk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I would leave it in the lounge...

Applications

User Customizations

What's the difference in these two?

The reason these two are separate is because there are currently two separate boards with those names.  I'm thinking that to start out, I would simply move them over as-is, but when 5.0-beta gets released as 5.0-final, then at that time there will be a plugin manager, and I will set those two boards to be reply-only, and create a new board called 'Plugins' that would eventually supplant those two.

The Plan (which will be apparent in Roadmap), is to release 5.0-beta3 with it's current feature set frozen and move as quickly as possible to 5.0 final.  Then 5.1-beta will resume with new features.

Applications

User Customizations

What's the difference in these two?

Applications would be third party additions such as unraid_notify, unmenu, preclear

User Customizations I would surmise (Just guessing) this would be for stuff like bubbaraid, etc, etc. Larger premade customizations?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I like it where Tom suggests it, However, I'm not opposed to it being in General either.

UCD.. I'm going to laugh a long time on this one. I know I had it for ages and Raj has it.  How many of us have it.

Awesome news, i think many people will appreciate the new setup and ability to subscribe to the non-posting Announcement board so they are notified when critical updates / news is available (instead of having to blindly drop in on the forum to check of any major news)

I think the roadmap feature is most welcome too, thanks for listening to our requests Tom! I have only been using unRAID for 9 months and it has been rock solid! It will be great to know what direction unRAID is going and if you can provide more information about *expected* release dates, this will help lots of people plan upgrades etc...

I think i am getting UCD as i feel the need to build another unRAID server just for the heck of it!

Happy New year to you Tom, and all the unRAID(ers) out there  ;D

Tom - the reorganization makes sense and seems very logical. I just wanted to confirm that existing content will be migrated and the existing hyperlinks to that content will continue to work.

It sounds like 2011 is shaping up to be an outstanding new year for unRaid and its users!!!

Brian

I thought the whole forum was a bug board  ;D

Not so negative Tom about your unRAID creation.  ;D I think its good software and unRAID can even become better.

[quote author=bubbaQ

link=topic=9744.msg93693#msg93693 date=1293825355]

A board is not a really good place for bug tracking.  It is good for getting support from the community regarding a bug, but that's a different purpose.

A real bugtracker would be preferable for tracking bugs and feature requests.

I agree bubbaQ. The forums are good for disusing and getting support regarding a bug.

A board is not a really good place for bug tracking.  It is good for getting support from the community regarding a bug, but that's a different purpose.

A real bugtracker would be preferable for tracking bugs and feature requests.

Something like this?

That is very very nice to see.  It gives everyone and especially new members an idea of what is going on.

The Forum Reorganization is underway.  I've tried to keep things simple and not move too many topics around.  Over the next week or so, I, or another moderator might move topics around without notice.  If you can't find your topic, just search on your user name.  If you find that your topic(s) is now perhaps not in the right board, feel free to move it.  Also feel free to continue commenting in this thread on the forum reorganization itself.

Honestly I would highly suggest that users are told to get used to using the "Report to moderator" button aka link so that way any moderators that are assigned a forum can address each post that needs to be addressed. Its on every post of every thread in the same spot so its very easy to find.

That's just a suggestion of course limetech.........

A comment regarding the location of "Good Deals"...

I come to that forum most often, so I'd prefer it be somewhere near the top of the forum listings. 

And a comment regarding the addition;

Company 1

Company 2

As a newcomer, I'd interpret that as an implied endorsement/guarantee by LimeTech.  [Resellers with their own forum] It's obvious that several individuals' efforts showcased here, are a labor-of-love, and they would probably be excellent representatives of LimeTech/UnRAID......  But if you allow just anyone to post an ad for pre-made systems, you're opening yourself to the blame when something goes wrong- regardless of whether it's accidental or fraudulent.  A considerable amount of diligence would be required to ensure UnRAID's value isn't diminished by the 'black eyes' of systems built with sub-standard, poorly-configured equipment.  Just imagine the potential implications if a reseller had offered-up 20-drive servers filled with F4s.  The unsuspecting buyer may have eventually discovered the real cause of their problem, but I doubt it would matter by then.  And if the buyer has deep pockets.....ugly for everyone.

Just a thought...

In certain forum areas I would also suggest a sticky with some kind of Readme that says what that forum section is about and what is expected. Call it rules or maybe some basic guidelines if you would. For instance if you are reporting an error and the general response is always "You need to post a syslog"

It would be nice if you in the sticky mention such and as well explain to the poster how to obtain the syslog so it helps out the posting user, but at the sametime gives the posters replying something to work with opposed to saying "can you post a syslog" and delivers a faster fix for the poster seeking help.

In the sticky you could nearly make it a mini wiki with things like how to post a syslog and other basic frequently asked questions with solutions. Of course each section would vary since each section is different for various reasons.

The current OS section appears to be set up to lock down old OS version categories once a new version is released.

• My first thought is that Lime Tech might want to leave the last version open for legacy support. I wouldn't expect everyone to update to the latest version immediately, especially commercial/business setups. This also would help when 5 is released, since you would have a section supporting 4.6 and 5.0.

• My second thought is that the current version should be in its own sub-category as well (4.6 in a sub-category). This would make it much easier to lock down that sub-category once a new version is released. Otherwise everything in the General section would be moved to a locked down sub-category and that might not be appropriate.

The challenge of having each OS flavor in its own section would be the moderation to make sure topics that target a specific flavor are in that correct sub-category and generic topics in the General.

my $0.02,

-Mark

And a comment regarding the addition;

Company 1

Company 2

As a newcomer, I'd interpret that as an implied endorsement/guarantee by LimeTech.  [Resellers with their own forum] It's obvious that several individuals' efforts showcased here, are a labor-of-love, and they would probably be excellent representatives of LimeTech/UnRAID......  But if you allow just anyone to post an ad for pre-made systems, you're opening yourself to the blame when something goes wrong- regardless of whether it's accidental or fraudulent.  A considerable amount of diligence would be required to ensure UnRAID's value isn't diminished by the 'black eyes' of systems built with sub-standard, poorly-configured equipment.  Just imagine the potential implications if a reseller had offered-up 20-drive servers filled with F4s.  The unsuspecting buyer may have eventually discovered the real cause of their problem, but I doubt it would matter by then.  And if the buyer has deep pockets.....ugly for everyone.

Just a thought...

You are absolutely correct & that is the reason the Category isn't on there yet.  But if/when it does become available, they will only be "qualified" vendors.  There are a few people I've been working with along these lines, and the issue of "support" naturally comes up.  The prospective Category is my attempt to pre-empt posts in other parts of the forum that start out, "I have a model A-1 server from Acme Corporation and I'm getting these strange errors....".

Same for Installers.  There are several small installer companies around the country who are using unRAID in their custom theater installations.  This would provide a way for these guys to provide a bit of online support as well as pick up a reference or two.  Again, I need to come up with a way implement "qualification".

In certain forum areas I would also suggest a sticky with some kind of Readme that says what that forum section is about and what is expected. Call it rules or maybe some basic guidelines if you would. For instance if you are reporting an error and the general response is always "You need to post a syslog"

It would be nice if you in the sticky mention such and as well explain to the poster how to obtain the syslog so it helps out the posting user, but at the sametime gives the posters replying something to work with opposed to saying "can you post a syslog" and delivers a faster fix for the poster seeking help.

In the sticky you could nearly make it a mini wiki with things like how to post a syslog and other basic frequently asked questions with solutions. Of course each section would vary since each section is different for various reasons.

Moderators can do this now  ;D

The current OS section appears to be set up to lock down old OS version categories once a new version is released.

• My first thought is that Lime Tech might want to leave the last version open for legacy support. I wouldn't expect everyone to update to the latest version immediately, especially commercial/business setups. This also would help when 5 is released, since you would have a section supporting 4.6 and 5.0.

• My second thought is that the current version should be in its own sub-category as well (4.6 in a sub-category). This would make it much easier to lock down that sub-category once a new version is released. Otherwise everything in the General section would be moved to a locked down sub-category and that might not be appropriate.

The challenge of having each OS flavor in its own section would be the moderation to make sure topics that target a specific flavor are in that correct sub-category and generic topics in the General.

my $0.02,

-Mark

Agreed and this is still a work-in-process.  At first I did put the legacy release boards as "child boards" of General, but I didn't like how they looked in the Board List  ::)