[SOLVED] HBA attached drives not showing up in UNraid

Hi,

Im a completely new user to Unraid and was just trying to get everything up and running 🙂.

I ran into some issues though with my attached drives. 

My drives are attached to an SAS expander (Intel RES2SV240) which is in turn connected to an HBA (SAS9211-8i)

The HBA detects both the expander and the drives and they also show up in the list of possible boot devices in the mainboards bios

when I have Legacy devices enabled (switched it to UEFI only though now).

IMG_20200523_202819.thumb.jpg.87f06906dde1316d88de6ea9dd747d6c.jpg

They do not show up in the list of SCSI devices in unraid though and I dont think the HBA shows up anywhere either.
I have attached diagnostics as I believe is customary in this fine establishment.

Thanks in advance for any help 😁

schmuseturm-diagnostics-20200523-2031.zip

16 minutes ago, Stoned887 said:

Could this be a cable related issue?

Could be, especially if connecting directly to the HBA did not cause the the drives to appear.

The issue in these cases is generally the cable type.  These Mini SAS SFF 8087 to SATA breakout cables come in two configurations; forward breakout cables and reverse breakout cables.  They both look the same.  Unless it is stated in the product description which type they are, there is usually no way to tell.

Here are the cables I purchased.  Notice how they specifically state they are forward breakout cables.  That is likely what you need.

The only possible indication of what type your cables are comes from the orientation of the ">" symbol in the product title.

"Delock Cable Mini SAS SFF-8087 > 4 x SATA" 

That could be interpreted to mean these are reverse breakout cables.

if it were to read "Delock Cable Mini SAS SFF-8087 < 4 x SATA" that could denote forward breakout cables.

I have no idea if the ">" can be interpreted that way, but, there is no specific statement in the product literature as to the configuration of these cables.

• Thanks 1

I looked at your syslog (a part of your diagnostics file) and I could find no evidence that an LSI card was detected.  Are you sure that the card is actually flashed with the IT Mode firmware?  I am pinging @johnnie.black to have a look as he is quite knowledgeable in this type of problem. 

If you have it plugged into the video card slot and you have another 8X slot, move the card to that slot.

• Thanks 1

Ahh,

I figured our what it was. I had to change the PCI mapping in the mainboard BIOS from 1x16 to 2x8.

I guess I would have found out eventually but your comments pointed me in the right direction, so thanks alot.

I was maybe a little to reluctant to poke around in the BIOS, because until now on all my PC builds really just worked pretty much out of the box

but I guess this kind of setup is different animal 😅.

Thanks again!

• Stoned887 changed the title to [SOLVED] HBA attached drives not showing up in UNraid