Supermicro Server Kicking My Butt

I'm hoping someone can help me with some issues I'm having with a Supermicro server.   Motherboard H8DGU-F / LSI 9211-8i

It's throwing a fit with all the drives installed.  I powered down my old server, and was able to boot with just the flash drive installed.  unRAID complained it was missing the disks, but they hadn't been installed yet.  I powered it down, installed all the disks, edited the BIOS so the only thing available was the Flash Drive.  It booted to the "No boot device available" error.

Upon initial power on, the light on my 6TB WD WD60EFRX and a Seagate ST3000DM001 go solid (all other drive lights are off).   About 10 seconds after, the WD turns off and the Seagate light stays on.  If I remove either of those two drives, it will boot to the flash drive.  But if they are both connected, it won't boot to the flash drive.  For some reason, if I remove the WD and leave the Seagate installed, the light remains on all the time.

I have 2 other ST3000DM001 drives and they are fine.

Anyone know what's going on with those drives?  Everything was fine in the old tower.

Edited by Spyderturbo007

I wish it was that easy.  I even went so far as to remove all the drives from the setting where you could order the individual drives.  

It doesn’t make sense to me that leaving both the WD and Seagate installed keeps it from booting to the flash drive but removing either drive and it’s fine. 

I’m also not sure why the HDD activity light on the Seagate is on solid. 

38DC4373-8C91-4361-B861-3B36E732918E.thumb.jpeg.aa02d9f9a0956252ecc7fc3860e00659.jpeg

B730997C-B7BA-4BA1-85C4-869704CB266D.jpeg.2fff8145ab5f139753b70b8aa95fe687.jpeg

Edited by Spyderturbo007

See, if on the Hard Disk Drive BIOS menu, if you can set the Flash Drive as the first 'hard' drive.

One more thing, you can check is to see if there is an update to the MB BIOS. 

In the back of my mind, there were some MB's that had difficulty booting from a flash drive after a certain number of hard drives were added.  (looking at that 2009 copyright date...)

9 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

Since it worked before have you tried undoing everything you changed? Maybe try setting things back to defaults and changing just the essential settings back like VT/VT-d?

I booted initially with the BIOS set to defaults and all the drives installed and it wouldn't boot.  That's when I changed the boot order.

9 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

See, if on the Hard Disk Drive BIOS menu, if you can set the Flash Drive as the first 'hard' drive.

One more thing, you can check is to see if there is an update to the MB BIOS. 

In the back of my mind, there were some MB's that had difficulty booting from a flash drive after a certain number of hard drives were added.  (looking at that 2009 copyright date...)

The USB drive shows up under USB Drives and isn't shown under the HDD section.  It's a Supermicro case with 36 bays, so I hope it doesn't choke after 12 or 13 drives.  The BIOS is current according to the Supermicro website v3.5c (3/18/16)

I'm convinced it's some type of weird interaction between the WD drive and that Seagate.

Edited by Spyderturbo007
20 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

@Frank1940 You were definitely on to something with that comment, but I initially dismissed it because of the stuck blue activity light on the Seagate drive.

I ended up having to go into the LSI configuration utility and change the adapter control from BIOS and OS to OS Only.  Now it will boot with all the drives installed. 

The blue light on that one drive is still stuck on, but I think that's for another thread.

The GUI says its spun down.  Not sure why it would only be that one drive.  I have 3 of the same model.  I even swapped out the cage with the same result.

Now it's off to find out why initially all drives had temperatures and then the next time I looked they are all *.   Well, all except for the new one that's sitting there as "unassigned".

Ugh, this new setup is driving me up a wall!

Edited by Spyderturbo007