Josh's Build # 1

Built the machine about two years ago when I switched from DVD's to Blue rays when I realized that burning blue rays were way too expensive.  Started adding hard drives to my windows box.  Lost a drive with a bunch of music on it so started looking for something with some protection and hence found UnRAID.  Currently on my 3rd upgrade of the same system

OS at time of building: 4.6

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz

Motherboard: JetWay JHZ03-GT-LF AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3

Case: NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case

Power Supply: SILVERSTONE OP800 800W Single Rail

SATA Expansion Card(s): 2 x SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4

SATA Expansion Card(s): 1 x SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express RAID Controller Card (Silicon Image SIL3132)

Cables: 4 x NORCO C-SFF8087-D SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 SAS Cable

Cables: 2 x NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable

Fans: 3 x Scythe SY1225SL12H 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan

120mm Fan Plate: 120mm fan wall bracket

Parity Drive: 2TB Western Digital EADS

Data Drives: 3 x 2TB Western Digital EARS

2 x 2TB Western Digital EADS

8 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP (CC35)

3 x 1TB Western Digital EADS

1 x 500GB Seagate 7200.11

2 x 2TB Samsung F4 (In array but no data on drives, waiting for another firmware update)

Total Drive Capacity: 33.5TB (9.25TB Free)

Primary Use: Movies, TV, Music, Backup, Stream to my XBMC machine

Likes: Big storage, Mico Motherboard is nice for cooling and cable management, capacity for 24 drives

Dislikes: Not silent even after replacing the ridiculously loud stock fans (I sit right beside my servers and workstation), power consumption is high, I leave the drives spinning up all the time.  File transfers are never fast enough :-) and this summer I'm adding a small window air conditioner to my office, can get really hot up here and the thing is freakin heavy

Add Ons Used: unMenu, Airvideo

Future Plans: Crashplan, still need to add a UPS

Start-up: 302W (Peak) 250W (Average)

Idle (all drives spinning): 236W

Idle (all drives spun down): 150W

Spin Up Drives in UnRaid: 421W

Parity Check: 275W

A5yk9.jpg

Oax86.jpg

Hhoo1.jpg

JplOH.jpg

Un5c4.jpg

uN7Fe.jpg

- Parity Checks finish at 60 MB/sec

- Write speeds to protected array for large 10GB files are 29-34 MB/s with TeraCopy from Win7

- Air Video Streams 1080P to iPhone4 perfectly at about 75% CPU usage on the X2

- Typically runs about 5-8 degrees over ambient room temp, 10-15 when running parity check

- Not silent, I had quieter fans in but when ran parity check it was hitting 50 degrees Celcius.  Now with the replacement about 35 degrees on parity check, the 7200 500 GB Seagate is about 40 degrees

The 500GB Seagate is starting to report some errors in its smart report so will replace that drive with a 2 TB drive, what ever is cheaper.  Will also replace the 1TB drives soon with 2 TB until i'm fully populated.  Then I will re-build my Norco 4020 case to build my second server.  I'm hoping that the daisy chain server thing will be ready in UnRAID 5 by then

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 1-21-2011

- Upgraded to 4.7-beta1 this week so I can add two more EARS drives

- Both EARS drives precleared with -A option with zero errors

- Replacing both Samsung drives with the EARS drives

- Once replaced, will re-preclear the Samsung drives with -A option and add to the array.  One will add to disk 20 to fully populate array and second will replace the 500GB Seagate drive

- Will bring storage to 37TB with about 12TB of free space and still have three slots open in the case

- At the rate I go current space will be good for about 4-5 months before I need to either add more drives (if Tom bumps up the number of supported drives) or start building my second server

Josh

I may get that supermicro add on card. The one with the ports on the back. I see you have what looks like SATA cables wrapped in black? What are those cables, and can you send a URL on them? I'll probably need something like that I guess if I'm going to get that card, right? Two SATA plug into the card and then the cable breaks out into 8 individual connections?? Is that how it works?

Thanks,

Michael

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

built it myself, bought the rails from http://www.starcase.com/detail.aspx?ID=999

used this writeup I found for help with dimensions, inspiration, etc....

http://www.codymays.net/projects/server_rack/

I used some nice oak wood and stained it to match the rest of the furniture in my office to make my wonderful OCD girlfriend happy :-)

I actually kind of like that idea. Now I just need to decide how big to make it.