jacksonliam

Very slow parity copy on parity swap

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am trying to use the parity swap procedure to upgrade my parity disk from a 2TB WD Green (5400RPM) to a 4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ, 5400RPM, CMR). Using the old 2TB drive to replace a data disk with SMART errors.

This is on an N54L microserver with the AMD Turion II Neo Dual Core @2.2Ghz. Unraid was just upgraded to 6.8.3 from 6.1 prior to starting the swap.

I started the array copy yesterday but it has only done 17% in 26 Hours.  CPU usage bar sitting around 60% with one core sitting near 90%.

Is this expected? I know this isn't the fastest hardware, but surely it shouldn't take a week to copy 2TB?

Is there any way to do this faster? If it is a CPU issue can I take the drives out and do the copy (e.g. with dd) on my desktop?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jacksonliam

32 minutes ago, jacksonliam said:

Is this expected?

No

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

Nothing obvious there and nothing in syslog really after parity copy begins.

43 minutes ago, jacksonliam said:

I know this isn't the fastest hardware

Can you tell us more about the hardware?

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Nothing obvious there and nothing in syslog really after parity copy begins.

Can you tell us more about the hardware?

Thanks for looking!

Not much more to add than its:

N54L HP Microserver

AMD Turion II Neo Dual Core @2.2Ghz

8GB RAM (RAM usage around 13%).

Write cache is disabled for all disks, HP Microservers have a write cache setting in the BIOS that is disabled by default, enable it and try again.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Write cache is disabled for all disks, HP Microservers have a write cache setting in the BIOS that is disabled by default, enable it and try again.

Thanks, that appears to have done the trick! Now going at about 1% every 12 minutes (so should complete in 20 hours!)

Do you know if there is a risk to the whole array if I leave write cache enabled? Or would it just be a case of the files being written (e.g. currently being moved by mover) becoming corrupted in the event of power failure?

There's an increased risk of data corruption if there's a power failure, but it would only affect files being copied at the time, also you can (should) get a UPS.