Unassigned Drive no spinning down.

Good Morning.

I have gone through the fourms and I can't see this question being answered.

like a lot of users here I have moved my Plex Docker data onto a SSD so speed up access time, when I am browsing through my Plex library but I have discovered that when my Plex is not in use and or if I turn off my Plex Docker, the SSD is still running.

I have checked the settings and within UA it is set to spin down in 30 mins, but alse it don't

As a test I also have added a second hard drive, and this also don't spin down.

Is there a settings that I am missing, within unraid or UA that allows the disks to spin down after a set time of none activate.

@dlandon  for your referance.  The drive and partitiom are both mounted.   I have been thinking that at the moment the sata cable goes into a sata expension board.  That this might be effecting it. So i am going to do some swopping around and get it onto a MB sata port.

And then i will report back

Update:  ok I have place the SATA within a port on the motherboard and it still hasn't spindown.    I also have check the settings within UA and this is set to Yes.

Edited by chris_netsmart
On 8/28/2020 at 10:50 AM, dlandon said:

I see one situation where UD will not issue the spin down timer to a drive.  That will occur when a drive is never mounted.  I’ll issue an update to UD this weekend.

Good afternoon

I am sad to report that your update didn't work.  I am on version Unassigned Devices 2020.08.29 and for Unassigned Devices Plus: 2020.05.22.

I have tried un-mounted and then remounting the drive and each the the drive is still showing at active and not spinning down.

image.thumb.png.b7b8da0fbf95200223797901dec33c9b.png

2 hours ago, chris_netsmart said:

I would like to confirm that the hard drive within in Unassigned should spin down, after a period of time of none use.

Yes.

The only hard drives that not spin down are SSD, but all other hard drivers, that is connected via SATA or USB should. And this also covers all manufactures.

Yes, with some exceptions.  Some USB drives won't spin down.  I believe that some disk controllers also can be a problem.

Look in the log and confirm that you see the following:

Aug  8 19:57:51 BackupServer unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdg'.

for the drive(s) in question.  The command issued is:

/usr/sbin/hdparm -S180 /dev/sdg

You will see this in the log for SSDs:

Aug 30 07:56:34 BackupServer unassigned.devices: Don't spin down device '/dev/sdc'.

hi @dlandon

thanks for your help so far. 

OK I think I am looking at the right log ' the syslog which can be found at /var/log/syslog '

I have opened this up and then open a Terminal season and type in the following command /usr/sbin/hdparm -S180 /dev/sdk

I got a message information me that the drive will go into standby mode in 15 mins. but after this time the drive was still up and running

looking at the log file, there is no reference from unassigned.

I migh have been looking at the wrong log files, I just seen a log file for the Unassigned drive.

Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: ata16: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m4096@0xf7908000 port 0xf7908280 irq 62
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: ata16: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: ata16.00: ATA-10: WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0, WD-WCC7K2UY7A2J, 82.00A82, max UDMA/133
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: ata16.00: 7814037168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 32), AA
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: ata16.00: configured for UDMA/133
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: sd 16:0:0:0: [sdk] 7814037168 512-byte logical blocks: (4.00 TB/3.64 TiB)
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: sd 16:0:0:0: [sdk] 4096-byte physical blocks
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: sd 16:0:0:0: [sdk] Write Protect is off
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: sd 16:0:0:0: [sdk] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: sd 16:0:0:0: [sdk] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: sdk: sdk1
Aug 28 17:13:47 Tower kernel: sd 16:0:0:0: [sdk] Attached SCSI disk
Aug 28 17:14:04 Tower emhttpd: WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K2UY7A2J (sdk) 512 7814037168
Aug 28 17:14:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdk1'...
Aug 28 17:14:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdk1' '/mnt/disks/userbackup'
Aug 28 17:14:19 Tower kernel: XFS (sdk1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Aug 28 17:14:19 Tower kernel: XFS (sdk1): Starting recovery (logdev: internal)
Aug 28 17:14:19 Tower kernel: XFS (sdk1): Ending recovery (logdev: internal)
Aug 28 17:14:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdk1' on '/mnt/disks/userbackup'.
Aug 28 17:14:19 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdk'.
Aug 29 12:46:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdk'.
Aug 29 12:46:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmounting '/dev/sdk1'...
Aug 29 12:46:23 Tower unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount '/dev/sdk1' 2>&1
Aug 29 12:46:23 Tower kernel: XFS (sdk1): Unmounting Filesystem
Aug 29 12:46:24 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully unmounted '/dev/sdk1'
Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdk1'...
Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdk1' '/mnt/disks/userbackup'
Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower kernel: XFS (sdk1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower kernel: XFS (sdk1): Ending clean mount
Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdk1' on '/mnt/disks/userbackup'.
Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdk'.

but we still have the green light

Edited by chris_netsmart

This is from UD:

Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdk1' on '/mnt/disks/userbackup'.
Aug 29 17:27:09 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdk'.

got a message information me that the drive will go into standby mode in 15 mins. but after this time the drive was still up and running

It should spin down unless there is activity on the disk.  Since the disk is mounted, I suspect the issue is from disk activity.

I have just tried 2 different hard drivers and they are all doing the same thing,  

they sping up with no issues, but none of them are spinning down.

Aug 31 11:03:32 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdk1' on '/mnt/disks/test'.
Aug 31 11:03:32 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdk'.
FUJITSU_MHV2120BH_PL_NW9XT7136T1D     ntfs

Aug 31 12:41:18 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdl'.
Aug 31 12:41:18 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdl'.
TOSHIBA_MK5061GSYN_83GTT5C5T      ntfs

I am thinking could it be a Motherboard issue ? that i not allow it to spin down ?

Update:

encase anyone else i having issues - I have discovered for my setup the following

XFS -  Label Unassigned     - No spin down

BTRFS-  Label Unassigned- Spin down 

exfat-  Label Unassigned  - Spin down 

NTFS-  Label Unassigned  - Spin down 

vfat-  Label Unassigned  -Spin down    

I used the same Hard Drive, a WD 500gb for my testing.   so now for any unassigned drives I will be using the BTRFS

Update: 6/9

I am sad to report that for some reason - the drive is no longer spinning down.  so I will need to do some further work.  NOTE I am also having issues with unraid OS that is not not showing CPU usage within the dashboard which might be related.

Edited by chris_netsmart
  • 1 year later...
On 8/31/2020 at 7:18 AM, chris_netsmart said:

Aug 31 11:03:32 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sdk1' on '/mnt/disks/test'.
Aug 31 11:03:32 Tower unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdk'.
FUJITSU_MHV2120BH_PL_NW9XT7136T1D     ntfs

This is UD issuing a standby command to the disk.  If the disk does not respect this standby command, then it will not spin down.  On Unraid versions earlier that 6.9, there is no direct spin down issued to the disk.  The best way to handle this is to upgrade to 6.9.

You may find that your disks still won't spin down.  Some older USB disks will not spin down at all.

• 3 months later...

I want to pick up this thread. I have an

ST500LT012-1DG142_S3P6J9YM (sdd)

connected via internal SATA port to the system.

When I click the green Icon, it will spin down (at least the icon goes grey). Pressing the device log only produces an empty window with an error logged by the log facility:

Jun 21 06:20:28 NAS emhttpd: error: run_cmd, 882: No such file or directory (2): invalid cmd: /webGui/scripts/disk_log

(Side note: UA should use the new device log style (inside new window) ifpossible. UA still shows an modal, Unraid opens up a new window, pointing to "logterminal/sdx").

Does UA spins down, even if the Unraid spin down setting is set to "never"?

(Another side note: Would be great, if UA would support the "title=" attribute on the icon images for icon description, like the check-mark or lightning icon :) )

Unraid: 6.10.3

UA 2022.06.19 + UAP 2022.05.17

Edited by KluthR
21 hours ago, KluthR said:

Pressing the device log only produces an empty window with an error logged by the log facility:

Which icon are you clicking on?  That error doesn't make any sense to me.

(Side note: UA should use the new device log style (inside new window) ifpossible. UA still shows an modal, Unraid opens up a new window, pointing to "logterminal/sdx").

Are you talking about the short log in the black screen?  The UD device log is more like the syslog display, and not the short log.

Does UA spins down, even if the Unraid spin down setting is set to "never"?

UD devices are supposed to follow the same rules as the Array disks.

(Another side note: Would be great, if UA would support the "title=" attribute on the icon images for icon description, like the check-mark or lightning icon

It does.  If the icons are active, the tool tip will show when you hover your mouse over the icon.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Which icon are you clicking on?

grafik.png.e79b1ced6ab26319a3f2538bef594bb7.png this one (fa-hdd icon). And then it shows me:

grafik.png.39e23a75dd01bf553355676cb5536ae6.png

and the Unraid MAIN log:

grafik.png.d090bc72af3ec728b74acaa18285f33a.png

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Are you talking about the short log in the black screen?

Maybe? Iam talking between the difference of your fa-hdd icon opened modal and the one Unraid uses above the UA section under "Main":

grafik.thumb.png.61a6a3a26bc4f3017808503f901149e5.png

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

UD devices are supposed to follow the same rules as the Array disks.

Oh, then it will never spin down. I thought one could adapt this setting per UA device maybe? :)

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

It does.  If the icons are active

Ah - IF active! Thats the difference! Would be great if a title= would be there even if they're not (to explain what it usually does).

(Side note: If one is inserting images with CTRL+V inside the forum text input, it is always inserted two times. Weird :/)

8 hours ago, KluthR said:

Maybe? Iam talking between the difference of your fa-hdd icon opened modal and the one Unraid uses above the UA section under "Main":

Fixed in the next release.

8 hours ago, KluthR said:

Oh, then it will never spin down. I thought one could adapt this setting per UA device maybe?

If the Unraid settings are spin down on a timer, that will apply to UD devices as well.  You cannot set spin down per UD device.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, KluthR said:

If possible, I would vote up for that feature :)

My system is set to never spin down, but the USB disk could spin down. But it does not :/

+1 for this feature. My system is also set to not spinning down, but I would like to keep my hot spares spun down.

Is there any other way that I can achieve this? Maybe I can set the default setting to spin down disks, and then go in and change all of the array disks to not spin down individually?

On 7/30/2022 at 2:08 AM, Jezper said:

+1 for this feature. My system is also set to not spinning down, but I would like to keep my hot spares spun down.

Is there any other way that I can achieve this? Maybe I can set the default setting to spin down disks, and then go in and change all of the array disks to not spin down individually?

That would work.