[SOLVED] Is the Realtek RTL8125B-NIC supported?

I'm happy to say I figured out the issue.  For whatever reason something wasn't happy with both the motherboard ethernet and the new NIC installed.  I did manage to find an old GPU I could put in the box so I could do some investigating, and the first thing I tried was disabling the onboard ethernet to see if that might be enough.  Luckily it was just the ticket.  Fired up the machine and it showed 1.0 Gbps at the switch at first, but once the OS started booting and hardware drivers started getting loaded, when it got around to the driver for the NIC the light went out on the switch and shortly afterwards came back on but showed a 2.5 Gbps connection.  I'm glad it was as simple as that.  Thanks again for your time anyway.

3 hours ago, _Shorty said:

I'm happy to say I figured out the issue.  For whatever reason something wasn't happy with both the motherboard ethernet and the new NIC installed.  I did manage to find an old GPU I could put in the box so I could do some investigating, and the first thing I tried was disabling the onboard ethernet to see if that might be enough.  Luckily it was just the ticket. 

Was that onboard NIC a RealTek 1gbs unit?   If it was, I suspect that it was detected first and the 1gbs driver for that unit was installed .  Then, when the 2.5gbs NIC on the card was detected, the software 'said', "I have already installed a RealTek driver and this NIC can use that one."  (If I recall correctly, this is what use to happen when these 2.5gbs NIC were first added as onboard NIC's.  What I don't know is if the 1gbs NIC's will work with the 2.5gbs driver...)

No, Nvidia NIC, if I remember.  It's a pretty old AMD system with an Nvidia chipset. AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 CPU, ASUS M3N72-D motherboard with NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI chipset.  The CPU and the Realtek 2.5 Gbps were only giving me about 800 Mbps while maxing out one of the cores, haha.  So for now I went back to the Nvidia NIC, as it offloads enough from the CPU to max out its 1 Gbps.  But at least it is another reason to upgrade that machine to something newer with an NVMe SSD for cache.  At least I have a 2.5 Gbps NIC that I know will work if whatever I get doesn't already have a 2.5 Gbps port built in. The Realtek seems to have a larger software component that the old CPU just can't crunch through quickly enough to make it worthwhile to use in that old machine. :D

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, eLpresidente said:

now its almost 2024, is the Realtek RTL8125BG now working with 2.5G ?

It works, the in tree driver can have some issues for some, including a new one with the new kernel in v6.12.5, where it doesn't work with jumbo frames, but there's an alternative driver included with the Realtek driver plugin that works better for some and still works with 6.12.5 and jumbo frames.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, JorgeB said:

It works, the in tree driver can have some issues for some, including a new one with the new kernel in v6.12.5, where it doesn't work with jumbo frames, but there's an alternative driver included with the Realtek driver plugin that works better for some and still works with 6.12.5 and jumbo frames.

Thanks for your quick response.. is the first or the last one the right one.. i think you can use both? 

image.thumb.png.13b5cd751b86ad3817cb01c1f2431d77.png

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, fishermanG said:

Hey, how this RTL8125BG working for you? Any issues?
I am thinking of upgrading my mobo but choices with intel nic are pretty limited in my area. 

I have no issues.. but I also don't use jumbo frames.. but many people don't recommend it.. they recommend Intel.. but I have has problems with Intel.. so it's up to you.. I don't even use the community plugin drivers for realtec and it worked fine for me

4 minutes ago, eLpresidente said:

I have no issues.. but I also don't use jumbo frames.. but many people don't recommend it.. they recommend Intel.. but I have has problems with Intel.. so it's up to you.. I don't even use the community plugin drivers for realtec and it worked fine for me

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to achieve low c-state with this nic if you happen to have measured before?