Anyone upgrading systems and want to sell me their old one?

pickthenimp

When I first built my box I think I spent just shy of $300.  It can be done if you search and wait for deals, but you also need to expect to not get the top notch of everything right out of the door.  You can keep the cost lower by forgoing the hotswap bays and the like.

The only thing to really spend on right out of the door is a good PSU (for sure) and a decent motherboard.

LOL, god only knows how many parts he really has... he has probably "lost" some of them at this point... I myself have done the same thing on many occasions.

There may be some here that are selling there pieces and parts, but a whole server is expensive to ship properly, Rajahal and myself can both attest to that.  Your usually looking at about $100 to ship a server that is fully configured (if you have a company association with a shipping company it can be cheaper... but still). We both build servers for customers, but it is really for people that do not want to build servers themselves and are willing to pay a build fee.

Looking for deals and building it yourself is probably going to be your best bet.

There may be some here that are selling there pieces and parts, but a whole server is expensive to ship properly, Rajahal and myself can both attest to that.  Your usually looking at about $100 to ship a server that is fully configured (if you have a company association with a shipping company it can be cheaper... but still). We both build servers for customers, but it is really for people that do not want to build servers themselves and are willing to pay a build fee.

Looking for deals and building it yourself is probably going to be your best bet.

Yes indeed, don't expect to get deal prices for a preassembled server. I know I work very hard to get the prices I want. I can't expect them to be handed to me for free not to mention built for me at no additional expense. Get you hands dirty or clean out your wallet :) it's your choice.

Shipping fees can definitely be a PITA also (not to mention properly preparing the prebuilt machine for shipment), fortunately I do have an "in" at the company I work for so it's reduced a bit.

Unfortunately my friend has already claimed the server I'm going to be replacing soon (waiting on beta 3 and also the new line of Xeon cpu's that are just around the corner).

prostuff1 Sorry I forget you like to torture yourself too. LOL

Torture... masochism... Six of one, half-dozen of the other ;)

I enjoy building servers, though I don't do quite as many as Rajahal.  I program all day at my day job and then go home and do the same whether it be unRAID related or iPad related.  I had a friend point out to me a couple weeks ago that me going home and doing more programming and computer related stuff would be like him going home and doing accounting related stuff for the rest of the night (he is an accounted).  Kind of funny when you think about it that way...

I was able to build mine for under $200 with all new parts from Newegg. With shipping it was like $216.

That included a Ark rackmount case, Biostar MB with 6 on-board sata ports, Sempron CPU, Coolermaster Power Supply, 1GB Ram, and a flash drive.

When I purchased the parts the Case was on sale for 59 with free shipping, and they threw in a free 4gb Flash drive as part of the deal, and the MB was also on sale.

Just check prices daily.

I was able to build mine for under $200 with all new parts from Newegg. With shipping it was like $216.

That included a Ark rackmount case, Biostar MB with 6 on-board sata ports, Sempron CPU, Coolermaster Power Supply, 1GB Ram, and a flash drive.

When I purchased the parts the Case was on sale for 59 with free shipping, and they threw in a free 4gb Flash drive as part of the deal, and the MB was also on sale.

Just check prices daily.

Could you send me your parts list?  I would love to get this up and running for under $250 with all new parts

You guys make good points about it being a pain in the ass and not any cheaper to ship a complied server.  (unless someone lives in chicago with an unused system)  Guess I will take the plunge and try to build it own my own!

You have one Fry's and two Microcenters brick and mortal stores in Chicagoland, never mind the countless online-ones (often with free shipping promotions and no state taxes and no Cook county surcharge tax  ;))

If you watch out the flyers you can easily pick-up:

1. Good motherboard plus CPU for under $100

2. Memory - $20-30;

3. Decent case - $50;

4. Power supply - Corsair 400/430 watts are often under $20 (after MIR).

5. Add a few good SATA locking cables, perhaps power splitter cables and cat5e/Cat6 network patch cables from www.monoprice.com and you are set.

One of these days I'm going to have a garage sale. I have 15 years of saved computer parts, cases, cards, just about anything. Not that anyone will need anything. I also have a couple large heavy metal type cases that I would love to get rid of, but would only allow pick up. They are pretty heavy and that's empty!

I would be happy to build you a cheap server under $250, but as others have said the shipping cost would likely not make it worthwhile.  I don't mind delivering servers, but Chicago is a bit too far away (I'm in Reno, NV).  Do you have any old hardware you could recycle?  That's how I built my first box - turned my PC into a server and built a new PC ;).  You could also offer to buy a friend's old hardware and help them upgrade...

I do have a bit of a surplus at the moment - in the room I'm sitting in I count 5 servers, ranging from 6 to 15 drives.  I believe I have another 9 drive one in the back room too.  Some of these are builds for clients, some are prototypes, and one is my personal server.  Another I plan to give to a friend as a wedding present.  As for spare parts...well, I've got shelves and shelves of them.

Could you send me your parts list?  I would love to get this up and running for under $250 with all new parts

Sure thing:

Case-Ark 4U-500 79.99 (This goes on sale every few weeks for 59.99 shipped, but you can use a different case if you want to save even more)

Biostar TA785G3HD Micro ATX Motherboard This was 46.00 last week open box deal...oos right now.

AMD Sempron 140 CPU 37.99

Coolermaster Elite 460 Power Supply 29.99 On Sale right now

Kingston 1GB DD3 1066 Ram 12.99

Just need a Flash drive (about $7) and some monoprice Sata cables at under $2 each, and you are ready to go.

Heres my original wishlist:https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=12091774

im telling EBAY EBAY EBAY! built my server under $210 got a motherboard with a cpu and ram for $90 got a case off new egg on a deal $39 and a old psu i had so just hardware $129 - the hard drives got 2 1tb drives off new egg for $80 at the time and had a left over hard drive to make 3 drives total build = $209 will post pics and specs on the other build forum tomorrow.

One of these days I'm going to have a garage sale. I have 15 years of saved computer parts, cases, cards, just about anything. Not that anyone will need anything. I also have a couple large heavy metal type cases that I would love to get rid of, but would only allow pick up. They are pretty heavy and that's empty!

I have the same dilema. A whole closet of parts! I've resorted to pawning them off on some local friends.

I have to make room for more guitars and synthesizers.

Sure thing:

Case-Ark 4U-500 79.99 (This goes on sale every few weeks for 59.99 shipped, but you can use a different case if you want to save even more)

Biostar TA785G3HD Micro ATX Motherboard This was 46.00 last week open box deal...oos right now.

AMD Sempron 140 CPU 37.99

Coolermaster Elite 460 Power Supply 29.99 On Sale right now

Kingston 1GB DD3 1066 Ram 12.99

Just need a Flash drive (about $7) and some monoprice Sata cables at under $2 each, and you are ready to go.

Heres my original wishlist:https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=12091774

Damn I like that case.  Havent seen that one yet on anyones builds.  How many drives can you fit in there?  I see it can hold 7 drives but confused by these 3 "External" slots.  Any pics of the inside of your rig?

I only have 4 drives in mine right now but from the reviews on Newegg it seems some people are using that case with at least 14 HD's in it. Its much quieter than I thought it would be with the stock fans and 26 C is the highest any of my drives have read so far.

Ill get some pictures and start a build thread in the next couple of days.

BTW, the case is $75+25 shipping right now. Wait until its on sale before getting one. They put it on for 59.99 shipped pretty often.

Archived