How does Unraid count attached devices?

I'm just curious about the way Unraid counts the attached devices.

The registration page tells "27 attached devices". My main page shows 24 hard drives plus 1 cache and 1 flash device. In the past I had a cache pool of two devices, but after a crash one of the pool devices is dropped off and no longer available. I did reboot after the crash and now I'm running a single cache device. Is Unraid still counting the removed cache disk?

Thanks in advance.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20201117-1001.zip

The flash drive is not counted in the attached devices.

But I think Unraid lists the devices present when the array is started. If one drops after that I guess it will still be counted.

Since you rebooted, you restarted the array, it would seem logical that the missing devices are counted since it is not a normal situation and the device is emulated and is supposed to be connected back or removed from the array or pool.

The removed device was part of the cache pool. As you can see in the images above the cache pool is not degraded, the device is not emulated. The device is no longer there. It's not listed in the SCSI devices on the System Devices page.

I usually don't care because I hold 5 or 6 Pro licenses for 3 machines. It's just something I'm interested in. Even with the missing device counted in, the result would be 24 array devices + 2 cache devices = 26 and not 27.

Just curious.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by hawihoney

At boot time and besides the OS flash drive these were also connected:

Nov 12 17:28:17 Tower kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
Nov 12 17:28:17 Tower kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     JetFlash Transcend 16GB   1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6

They were since removed, but they still count until you reboot, or maybe until array re-start.

Just a follow up - just out of curiosity:

I can block PCI devices and pass them thru to VMs like so (two HBAs):

# on flash
kernel /bzimage
append xen-pciback.hide=(06:00.0)(81:00.0) initrd=/bzroot

# for VM
[...]
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
[...]

Is this possible with USB sticks as well? I mean, these sticks wouldn't count to the limited devices and can be used as boot devices for the VMs then? If yes, how? Here are the two USB sticks for example:

# How to block these USB sticks???
Bus 002 Device 004:	ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. TransMemory-Mini / Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick
Bus 002 Device 005:	ID 8564:1000 Transcend Information, Inc. JetFlash

# on flash
--> no idea???

# for VM
[...]
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x0930'/>
        <product id='0x6544'/>
        <address bus='2' device='4'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>