Appdata showing unprotected

My situation appears to be unique and i haven’t come across it on the forum.

My appdata folder is on an NVME drive which is part of the array, The nvme drive is set to not use the cache drive and no part is stored on the cache drive, however my Appdata has the orange triangle next to it showing it is unprotected. Any ideas?

(Ignore disk 2 in the screen shots it is doing a parity rebuild)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Do you by any chance have an empty ‘appdata’ folder on the cache drive.    That is enough to cause the share to show as unprotected.    The diagnostics definitely show that something related to appdata is on the cache.

There is an empty appdata folder on the cache drive, what’s the best way to fix this?

13 minutes ago, doma_2345 said:

There is an empty appdata folder on the cache drive, what’s the best way to fix this?

I figured i would just use the quick and dirty route and used ‘rm -r appdata’ not sure if this is the correct way but it has fixed the issue

Edited by doma_2345

A more ideal configuration is to have appdata, domains, and system shares all on cache and set to stay on cache. That way your docker and VM performance will not be impacted by slower parity, and docker and VMs won't keep array disks spunup.

You can backup appdata and libvirt using CA Backup plugin.

The yellow indicator saying files are unprotected just means you don't have protection from parity or a multi-disk cache pool. It is perfectly OK to have that indicator if you understand what it means and you deal with it another way such as backups.

33 minutes ago, trurl said:

A more ideal configuration is to have appdata, domains, and system shares all on cache and set to stay on cache. That way your docker and VM performance will not be impacted by slower parity, and docker and VMs won't keep array disks spunup.

You can backup appdata and libvirt using CA Backup plugin.

The yellow indicator saying files are unprotected just means you don't have protection from parity or a multi-disk cache pool. It is perfectly OK to have that indicator if you understand what it means and you deal with it another way such as backups.

Surely that does not make sense, having all my appdata, domains, and vms on an nvme drive is the fastest way to do it and the slowness of parity only affects writes. So having it parity protected does not make a difference when running a VM or docker as it is mostly reads with some small writes. My vm’s write large data sets such as games to an unassigned drive and my plex metadata is on a separate SSD (parity protected), but again that is mostly reads with some writes.

I also use CA Backup plugin.

My issue with the yellow indicator was annoyance rather than worry as I couldn’t work out what file was on there. 

Edited by doma_2345
  • 2 years later...

sorry to add to an old topic , but i just had one of my drives die and i just replaced it and formatted the new one and didnt rebuild and all my dockers and vm settings dissapeared, i didnt really need the data or the settings because i transferred all the data to the new Unraid server before that happened am upgrading to , had 3 SATA SSDs and 2 NVMEs , and now its 5 NVMEs (its a VM machine)

So my question would be , granted ive 5 NVME drives , would it really hurt the performance if i had appdata on the array with parity?

Sorry my bad should've mentioned hardware

The new setup is:

i9-13900K

MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI (MS-7D91)

128GBDDR5

3xSamsung_SSD_980_1TB

2xSamsung_SSD_980_PRO_1TB

Old one is:

Z390 GAMING X-CF

96GBRAM

1xSamsung_SSD_980_PRO_1TB (cache)

3xSamsung_SSD_860_EVO_1TB

1xKIOXIA-EXCERIA_PLUS_SSD (the drive that was unmountable and was formatted)

Old diagnostics attached

old-diagnostics-20221223-2148.zip

Edited by Xcage
attachment