• Unraid OS Version 7.0.0-beta.3 available

SpencerJ
    • Minor

Thanks for your feedback! Unraid 7.0.0-beta.3 is now available on the Next branch. Everyone running -beta.2 is encouraged to upgrade

This is BETA software. Please use on test servers only.

This announce post is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic in the Prereleases board. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

Upgrade steps for this release

1. Read the release notes via the Update OS-> Next -> Unraid 7.0.0-beta.3 Changelog.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 12.29.56 PM.png

2. As always, prior to upgrading, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

3. Update all of your plugins. This is critical for the Connect, NVIDIA and Realtek plugins in particular.

4. If the system is currently running 6.12.0 - 6.12.6, we're going to suggest that you stop the array at this point. If it gets stuck on "Retry unmounting shares", open a web terminal and type:

umount /var/lib/docker

The array should now stop successfully.

5. If you have a recent release or Unraid Connect installed:

Open the dropdown in the top-right of the Unraid webgui and click Check for Update, then press More options and switch to the Next branch. You may be prompted to sign in to access the Next branch. Select the appropriate version and choose "View changelog to Start Update". More details in this blog post

6. If you don't have the Check for Update option in the upper right corner:

Either install the Unraid Connect plugin or upgrade to 6.12.10 first. Then check for updates as described above.

7. Wait for the update to download and install

8. If you have any plugins that install 3rd party drivers (NVIDIA, Realtek, etc), wait for the notification that the new version of the driver has been downloaded. 

9. Reboot

This announce post is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic in the Prereleases board. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

• Like 9
    • Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi,

after upgrading from beta 2 to beta 3, I now tried to start up a VM and get following error:

internal error: Child process (/usr/libexec/virtiofsd --print-capabilities) unexpected exit status 2: error: invalid value '' for '--fd ': cannot parse integer from empty string For more information, try '--help'.

I had no issues before the upgrade.

Any clue how to solve this?

@SimonF i actually had to reflash the bios because it was broken on every single linux distro and kernel version i tried. Now its back to some more "normal" numbers(but also wrong ones xD). Still, very funny.Funny-fix.thumb.PNG.2a5befa3acccedf06d99b9f73f15673f.PNG

Edited by Mainfrezzer
    46 minutes ago, Unpack5920 said:

Hi,

after upgrading from beta 2 to beta 3, I now tried to start up a VM and get following error:

internal error: Child process (/usr/libexec/virtiofsd --print-capabilities) unexpected exit status 2: error: invalid value '' for '--fd ': cannot parse integer from empty string For more information, try '--help'.

I had no issues before the upgrade.

Any clue how to solve this?

run this in a cmd line

sed -i 's/$options\[\] = "--fd=".$argoptions\['"'"'fd'"'"'\];/if (isset($argoptions\['"'"'fd'"'"'\])) {\n    $options[] = "--fd=".$argoptions\['"'"'fd'"'"'\];\n}/' /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/scripts/virtiofsd.php 

fixed in next release, but you will need to re apply at boot. It is in the release notes.

• Thanks 1
    32 minutes ago, Mainfrezzer said:

@SimonF i actually had to reflash the bios because it was broken on every single linux distro and kernel version i tried. Now its back to some more "normal" numbers(but also wrong ones xD). Still, very funny.Funny-fix.thumb.PNG.2a5befa3acccedf06d99b9f73f15673f.PNG

Maybe a kernel/package update may fix in future.

Just a small thing:

On stopping services (e.g. Docker) on the status bar you will see "Starting services ..."

instead of "Stopping services ..."

16 minutes ago, Unpack5920 said:

On stopping services (e.g. Docker) on the status bar you will see "Starting services ..."

That's normal, it starts the other services after stopping docker.

1 hour ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I had to go back to beta 2 as I find access the docker tab is way too laggy and takes a long time to response.

Do you use docker folders?

6 minutes ago, Niklas said:

In Settings -> Docker. Do you use "Docker directory"?

I use docker dir with overlay2, no problems. Native on zfs gave me slowdowns.

I keep reading about overlay2. Is this an option given in UNRAID 7.0? Because I cannot find it in current UNRAID.

Also if it is NOT overlay2, can it be changed or needs cache disk to be reformated?

Finally, for zfs cache disks made pre-7.0, what is their default mode?

2 minutes ago, NLS said:

I keep reading about overlay2. Is this an option given in UNRAID 7.0? Because I cannot find it in current UNRAID.

Also if it is NOT overlay2, can it be changed or needs cache disk to be reformated?

Yes is it is in 7 

Docker storage driver: native is my current settings.

37 minutes ago, NLS said:

Added in beta3 and now default for new installs. Its in the changelog.
    This is only if you used docker directory on ZFS in Setting -> Docker

You need to delete the old docker folder/dir and the zfs datasets/snapshots that the native docker zfs driver created and used.
    Change storage driver from native -> overlay2 in Docker settings. Your containers will disappear but can be added again with Apps->Previous apps. No need to format anything. My cache is still ZFS.

Capture_ServerDockerSettings_–_Brave_2024-10-13_23-20-28_87638756.png

Edit: I was also confused about overlay2, what it was and what I needed to do. I use dir to limit write amplification and I don't like the img taking up space not used. No warnings about the space in the docker img, no need to increase the size of the img (that you need to delete if you want to make it smaller).

Edited by Niklas
    confused
    10 minutes ago, Adiventure said:

Just tried updating. 

Upon clicking start array I get:

Wrong Pool State

cache - invalid config

Not using zfs

image.thumb.png.a876a2280e5052c904cfa44f19550c27.png

Mentioned several times. Look at the top and "Recommended Comments".

Edited by Niklas
    • Like 1
    41 minutes ago, NLS said:

I keep reading about overlay2. Is this an option given in UNRAID 7.0?

I forgot to mention this earlier, but since the kernel for beta.3 was downgraded to 6.6, it's no longer a problem using a docker folder with the zfs native driver, since only kernel 6.8+ is affected, this means that if a user wants to keep using a docker directory with the zfs native driver for v7.0, he can, though will likely run into issues again with v7.1 and a newer kernel, so still recommend using overlay2 for any new installs.

20 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but since the kernel for beta.3 was downgraded to 6.6, it's no longer a problem using a docker folder with the zfs native driver, since only kernel 6.8+ is affected, this means that if a user wants to keep using a docker directory with the zfs native driver for v7.0, he can, though will likely run into issues again with v7.1 and a newer kernel, so still recommend using overlay2 for any new installs.

Good to know... now. It took me some time to change but now it's done for the future. Also no need to exclude all the zfs datasets or snapshots from view in zfs master. 😁

I guess the original problem could be solved in kernel and/or openzfs updates in the future too. 

Edit: And the slow thing mentioned earlier has nothing to do with it then?

Edited by Niklas
    8 minutes ago, Niklas said:

Edit: And the slow thing mentioned earlier has nothing to do with it then?

If you mean docker directory with zfs native, from what I've read that can perform considerably worse, and it will make a mess with the legacy datasets, hence why I still recommend overlay2.

• Thanks 1
    2 hours ago, Mr Q said:

please add easy adjusment for zfs arc cache, 1/8 is to little

There should be a GUI option soon, but it's not difficult to do now, you can go to Tools - System drivers, search for zfs and edit the value there, then reboot:

image.png

21 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Yes but you didn't reply my original 3 questions (as it will eventually, as you said, need to be handled). :D I quote here again and put numbers to point them out:

22 hours ago, NLS said:

I keep reading about overlay2. (1) Is this an option given in UNRAID 7.0? Because I cannot find it in current UNRAID.

(2) Also if it is NOT overlay2, can it be changed or needs cache disk to be reformated?

(3) Finally, for zfs cache disks made pre-7.0, what is their default mode?

Edited by NLS
    39 minutes ago, NLS said:

Yes but you didn't reply my original 3 questions (as it will eventually, as you said, need to be handled). :D I quote here again and put numbers to point them out:

1. Yes, in unRAID 7 only. overlay2 is not supported on ZFS before 2.2, which is what ships in unRAID 7. It's used in 6.12 but only if using an XFS image.

2. Yes, once you upgrade to 7, but you have to rebuild your containers. It's similar to the process of changing from a docker image to folder in unRAID 6.12.

3. Existing installs should remain in the zfs driver unless changed, as far as I understand.

Edited by andrebrait

I tried to answer some of the questions before. It can be changed with some work but no need to format any drive. 

Edited by Niklas