• [6.12.12] Harddrives can't be spun down

ChristianHawkins
    • Urgent

Neither via the interface, nor via hdparm -y can I spin down my harddrives. Works again after downgrade to 6.12.11

root@Mediadinger:~# hdparm -y /dev/sdi

/dev/sdi:
    SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 01 00 00 00 00 0a 00 50 40 ff 00 1d 00 00 00 81 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
     drive state is:  unknown

Since my public ipv6 block is all over the place in the diagnostics file, I am hesitant to post it. I'd rather supply information on demand.

• Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have the same problem. If I stop the disks manually, they start again immediately without anything ever accessing them, let alone writing to them.

30 minutes ago, swiss01 said:

Since I don't use IPV6, here are my diagnostic filestower-diagnostics-20240822-0059.zip

I don't think diagnostic is at all necessary. The bug has already been acknowledged on the kernel mailing list and it only affects 6.1.103

Unraid has to ship a new version with updated linux kernel to fix it.

Same here....

Seagate ST16000NM001G : NG

Toshiba MN05ACA800 : NG

Toshiba MN05ACA600 : NG

If the problem is in the kernel, are we talking about days or weeks until a solution arrives at Unraid?

Because then I would rather downgrade...

-faxxe

I only see the issue with drives connected to an LSI HBA, onboard SATA still spin down fine, but it appears to have been already fixed in the kernel.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I only see the issue with drives connected to an LSI HBA, onboard SATA still spin down fine, but it appears to have been already fixed in the kernel.

It also happens on a ASM1166 Serial ATA Controller here.

• Upvote 1

Confirmed here too, drives ran all night, all mobo SATA, downgraded for now

image.png.c5794bdbe3429cd40739cf752c0657cc.png

Edited by Kilrah
    • Featured Comment

Yeah, also see the issue with different onboard SATA controller, so not all are affected, good news is that I can confirm that kernel 6.1.106 with that commit reverted fixes the issue, so I would expect 6.12.13 with that kernel to be released soon.

• Like 3

I also can't spin drives down on 6.12.12.  Some various seagates and WD Reds.  Some are on Sata controller card and some on the motherboard.  Downgraded back to 6.12.11.

Edited by Gragorg
    spelling

Same issue here - some HDDs connected via LSI HBA and some directly to motherboard. Running on a Supermicro X11 board.

Same problem here with Exos and WD Red drives since 6.12.12. On the previous version spin-down worked fine.

15 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Please update to 6.12.13.

Probably barely tested by unraid. I am not happy that it was fixed that fast, because it is impossible that proper testing was done leaving a way for other regressions to sneak in.

8 hours ago, ChristianHawkins said:

Probably barely tested by unraid. I am not happy that it was fixed that fast, because it is impossible that proper testing was done leaving a way for other regressions to sneak in.

Then don't update ? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

My drives aren't spinning down either, and they used to do so correctly until I installed this update.

1 hour ago, akguy said:

My drives aren't spinning down either, and they used to do so correctly until I installed this update.

Known issue that is fixed in the 6.12.13 release.

On 8/26/2024 at 1:34 AM, itimpi said:

Known issue that is fixed in the 6.12.13 release.

I just updated from 6.12.11 straight to 6.12.13 and it does not spin down automatically. Manual spin down command works though

25 minutes ago, nhatlinh said:

it does not spin down automatically. Manual spin down command works though

That would be a different issue then, try reaplying the setting, and make sure nothing is using the disks, there are no other reports of spin down issues with 6.12.13 AFAIK.