• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6 Neutral

About planetwilson

  • Rank


  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

1622 profile views
  1. I found that updating from Penryn to passthrough of the host game me a 20% approx speed boost. My CPU params become:- <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/> <qemu:arg value='host,vendor=GenuineIntel,+hypervisor,+invtsc,kvm=on,+fma,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,+sse4a,+bmi1,+bmi2'/> Geekbench with Penryn: Single 835, Multi 3477 Geekbench with Host: Single 1021, Multi 3736 (4 cores passed to VM)
  2. Ah brilliant thanks, didn't know I could do that.
  3. Any plans to include the required libraries for Intel hardware based HDR->SDR tone mapping?
  4. How did you work out which ones are good for shucking? Anything to look for?
  5. I have the tips and tweaks plugin installed and wondering how much difference the power saving vs performance setting for unraid will have on VM peformance when playing a game? Looking at CPU speeds, it runs constantly at full whack when in performance, but drops to the low 800MHz or so when idle. But it still does boost up if there is work to do for the is there an issue in leaving it on power saving which is the default setting after all? The propertion of time I am playing games on it is very small compared to the time the server being on 24/7 doing it's unraid thing.
  6. As an update to this - I actualy stopped doing this and just passed through a separate USB 3 card instead because the unplugging of the TB3 cable from the AIC card to my MBP and back again causes weirdness with the VM. The USB controller which is part of the monitor gets in a stuck state and can't be used without a reboot. Passing through individual USB devices or a 3rd card is a better solution
  7. I’d like to know this too. The docker page suggests so but there’s nothing in the gui for it. I get an error about 2020/10/27 22:30:55 Failed to get the value from the keyring: keyring/dbus: Error connecting to dbus session, not registering SecretService provider: dbus: DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS not set does that mean it’s not checking? will it stop working?
  8. One of SpaceInvader's videos talks about a workaround to reset the gfx card without rebooting the server using a script:-
  9. I have a Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC. It takes 2 DisplayPort cables from my Radeon 570 as inputs and outputs on a thunderbolt 3 cable to my LG 5K Ultrafine monitor - the one LG made in partnership with Apple. I love this monitor and didn't want to only be able to use it with my Macbook but also my gaming VM and this works perfectly for that. The card itself appears as several different devices under System devices and passing those through never really worked correctly. The card mixing the DisplayPort inputs and outputting via TB3 only requires power so doesn't need to be passed to the VM. H
  10. Okay found the solution - I was being daft mixing up passing individual USB devices and controllers. Once I isolated the USB controller that is on the LG 5K monitor (which has the same chipset name as a separate card I use for a hackintosh hence much confusion) - I can pass that alone using VIFO-PCI config and everythings works just great.
  11. I have a Windows 10 VM and a Gigabyte THunderbolt 3 AIC working fine with an LG 5K ultrafine monitor. When I start up I can pass all the USB devices it finds including those plugged into the LG monitor. Everything works swimmingly until I either reboot the VM or I unplug the TB3 cable. Plugging it back in or waiting for the VM to come up again leads to no USB devices being available. They don't show in the system devices list any more so I can't choose them in the hot plug/unplug plugin. My log looks like this when it happens:- Sep 7 19:46:37 PWNAS kernel: xhci_hcd 0000
  12. What have you tried so far?
  13. SpaceInvader's videos are very good but those methods using Clover in general present the Mac as an older Penryn machine. I had mine up and running as one of those but it was fairly easy to switch over to OpenCore and have it present as an iMac pro in my case. Also this:-
  14. Is your M.2 slot one which supports NVMe drives or only SATA. The Windows VM will benfit from being on the fast drive it can be. The cache drive will be fine as a SATA SSD I think. I would personally have the VM running on its own SSD. I have an M.2 NVMe drive for desktop VMs with GPU passthrough and a normal SATA SSD for a cache drive. It really is easier to just leave the machine running than start messing about with sleep modes and the effect on VMs etc. I actually downgraded from a 14 core/96GB unraid box to a 6 core i5/32GB machine as it used a lot less power, to the point where I do
  15. So using HOOB/Homebridge I’ve got the ability to turn on my VMs by asking Siri using my Apple Watch! Feels quite cool but I would still like to sleep/wake cleanly with macOS