Hitachi 5K3000 (new model) 2TB Drive - $79.99@newegg {EXPIRED}

mbryanr

Looks like a "Green" drive from hitachi, which is nice to see.  Look to spin at about 5300RPM (though they do not say that specifically).

The price is very nice also an I wish I could buy a couple of these right now to do some testing.  I am a huge fan of the hitachi 7200RPM drives so I hope these are as reliable.

If it works as well as the 7200rpm version only slower rotation, I'd recommend this over the WD EARS and definitely over the Seagate LP.

But personally I'm planning to wait for 3T support before buying more disks, but i have some excess capacity to let me wait a while.

If it works as well as the 7200rpm version only slower rotation, I'd recommend this over the WD EARS and definitely over the Seagate LP.

But personally I'm planning to wait for 3T support before buying more disks, but i have some excess capacity to let me wait a while.

Ditto.  I have some space still available so am going to wait until I have to buy more drives.

fitbrit: when you get the drive run some tests on it and let us know how it goes.  I really like the 7200RPM Hitachi's and if I can get a 3TB "Green" version I will probably jump all over these drives when the time comes!!

Will do, but I'm having some issues with my server/parity at the moment. I've had so many WD green drives fail, and recently bought a Seagate and a Samsung F4... only to find they have their own rather significant issues. So I'm trying Hitachi now. I used to hate how hot their 750GB 7.2k drives were reporting in unRAID. However, when I pulled the drives and now run them in an external dock, they run much cooler to the touch than a WD 7.2k drive.

Wasn't there a problem with Hitachi green drives com compared to their competitors?

1/10th the LCC rating or something?

1/10th the rated LCC?  Or drive produces 1/10 the # of LCCs (which would be a good thing, not a bad thing)?  Can you find a link?

Thanks for the heads up on the $10 rebate. It pushed me over the edge and I just got one. Luckily the Newegg $20 off code still worked at 1:13AM. I guess it's because I'm EST and they're likely PST. Whatever, no complants, I like money back and ~$70 total is a nice price.

I'm pretty sure the $10 rebate will work since, they will be getting the original UPC/serial #. That's usually the biggest issue, in my experience.

I can't personally verify this myself, but according to Slickdeals this drive will sell for $60(after rebate) after 1PM today(Tuesday). I'm guessing that's PST and likely is going to be a Shell Shocker. Just wanted to let those know who may be interested, to keep an eye out.

As for me I'm already on the hook for one, but I'm pretty sure NewEgg will adjust the price(If this deal does materialize). If they won't adjust the price, I'll just re-order at the lower price and refuse the shipment(of the 1st order). Still I don't see that happening, as this deal(original in this thread) and the new(1PM) deal are both popular. So alot of other people would get the same idea, and that would cost NewEgg alot in shipping. Better to just price match those who ordered on the 7th.

Heck, I may even get a second drive at the $60AR price. Rebate limits to 2, but $120AR for 4TB isn't bad. ;)

Anyway, who knows what will happen...

EDIT>>NewEgg issued me a $10 credit, with less than a minute on the phone. I love NewEgg service<<EDIT

peace,

/justme  

• 2 weeks later...

I installed mine as a parity drive after my WD Black was found to be DOA. The parity sync is going quite slowly at 7 MBps, but that seems to be unrelated to the drive itself.

After you complete the parity check you might want to report success in this thread to help with confirming suitability as a recommended drive.

For the time being my two pre-cleared 5K3000s are back in boxes as spares until I need them.