We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Cache drive automatically moves to array and clears on startup (repeated)

howdy - got a fun one! 

Issue:

Upon restart, I noticed that a Clear operation had started automatically on my Cache disk which was also moved into my array in the last position (Disk 22). I reassigned the SSD to the Cache drive in "Pools" and formatted it as it was unmountable.

The same thing happened again this morning upon boot.

Weird things I noted that I'm not sure matter but may help ¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

• While initially setting up the cache drive, I noticed there was no "cache devices" section. I chose to click "Add Pool" and noticed that the default name was "cache," and took that as my cue.
  • I was having difficulty with Macinabox (script confirming VM was ready but not appearing in VM menu). I initiated an install 3 times using Macinabox, then restarted. This issue first happened on the boot of this restart.
  • Repeated this issue the morning after. I had only the plex docker installed and the server had been off overnight.
  • The SSD is an m.2 in the motherboard slot that shares bandwidth with the 1st sata port (I *believe* this is the port that my parity drive is using)

iss-diagnostics-20210127-0843.zip

image.png

iss-diagnostics-reconfigured.zip

Edited by starwak3
reformatted and reassigned cache drive and posted diagnostics again
15 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

This is a strange one, re-assign cache, grab diags before rebooting, then reboot in safe mode, if it happens again grab new diags and post both.

haha - I'm new to UNRAID but got the feeling this was actually a strange one. thanks for the quick reply.

it did happen again. diags attached.

iss-diagnostics-20210127-1213-BEFORE.zip iss-diagnostics-20210127-1222-AFTER(safe).zip

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Looks like it still thinks that disk is assigned as disk22. Did you actually New Config and rebuild parity without the disk before you tried to use it as cache?

I did not make a new config and rebuild parity without the new cache disk. I followed spaceinvaderone's tutorial and that wasn't mentioned. "New Config" is foreign to me - could you please elaborate? If by "rebuild parity" you mean performing a parity check then I understand that part.

EDIT: I looked in Tools and of course New Config is there (duh - my bad). Do you suggest doing this and a parity check?

49 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It wasn't assigned before rebooting, looks like the clear was canceled, so it was never really assigned to the array, I have no idea what could cause this, never seen it before, best to create a bug report, add both diags again.

whacky - alright then. I'll do that, unless you think that trurl's question opens up a different angle of attack here.

Also, I'm curious if you have any comments regarding this part of my original post (quoted below).

Thanks so much for your help, JorgeB

2 hours ago, starwak3 said:

• While initially setting up the cache drive, I noticed there was no "cache devices" section. I chose to click "Add Pool" and noticed that the default name was "cache," and took that as my cue.

Edited by starwak3
corrected username "turl" to "trurl"
2 hours ago, starwak3 said:

I did not make a new config and rebuild parity without the new cache disk.

It's not "without the new cache disk" I was talking about, it's with no disk assigned as disk22. When you remove a disk from the parity array you must rebuild parity.

But

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

it was never really assigned to the array

I agree it shouldn't be considered assigned until it has been cleared, but I've never tested that myself. I don't doubt @JorgeB has test that though 😁

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

It's not "without the new cache disk" I was talking about, it's with no disk assigned as disk22...

now I understand what you were getting at. I thought you were asking it as a prep-question inferring that I missed a step.

As of now, I have let the m.2 disk fully clear and removed it physically from the motherboard. Parity check / data-rebuild is underway. Once completed, my plan is to give it another go using the other m.2 slot. Hoping that, or just the chance of a second try will do the trick. I will also submit the bug report.

Here goes nothin' - thank you both again!

29 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Confusion averted. When you said...

I was concerned that things weren't going as planned.

I see it's actually a Parity Sync, which is proper.

Woah! I posted that quick as I was heading off to a huge plate of sushi - my bad. Regardless, I'm reassured that you checked in. Thank you. (weird bug huh?)