[SUPPORT] JoplinApp - CorneliousJD Repo

This container allows you to have a working Joplin desktop app, reachable via a http noVNC that can be placed behind a reverse proxy.

More information about the noVNC baseimage here : https://github.com/jlesage/docker-baseimage-gui

More info about Joplin : https://joplinapp.org/

This can also be used with the JoplinServer container as well to have a full Joplin stack runnin on unRAID.

NOTE: If you're going to put this behind a reverse proxy be sure to either use the VNC password that you can set in the template or provide your own means of access control via proxy.

• 8 months later...

Hi @CorneliousJD

I am looking to get away from my Synology DS Note station application

Its one app that synchronize between everything IOS/Android Apps and a Desktop App - and it have a webUI that I can access through a proxy

I am not sure but would this then require all these 4 dockers:

joplin/server:latest

postgresql14-joplin

acaranta/docker-joplin

https://github.com/jlesage/docker-baseimage-gui

The last one I couldn't find in the Unraid store?

And this would provide the same functionality? (Except the webUI would be through VNC?

Sorry I have been reading and its not really stated very clearly whats required? or I am just not finding it in my searches ;-)

Br

Casperse

11 minutes ago, casperse said:

Hi @CorneliousJD

I am looking to get away from my Synology DS Note station application

Its one app that synchronize between everything IOS/Android Apps and a Desktop App - and it have a webUI that I can access through a proxy

I am not sure but would this then require all these 4 dockers:

joplin/server:latest

postgresql14-joplin

acaranta/docker-joplin

https://github.com/jlesage/docker-baseimage-gui

The last one I couldn't find in the Unraid store?

And this would provide the same functionality? (Except the webUI would be through VNC?

Sorry I have been reading and its not really stated very clearly whats required? or I am just not finding it in my searches ;-)

Br

Casperse

The first docker you list is the Joplin server, which is optional and new.

2nd is Postgres for storing the database - you'd want that or another Postgres container for hte database

Third is this container's support page -- it's the VNC based access method. It's not great, but it's the only webUI option.

4th is not required - it is just a base package and is built into the 3rd one.

Another option you may be interested in is Trilium Notes - it's an "All in one" system where it has a database, web UI, server, etc, and has apps for all platforms, and is based on markdown, you may find it useful. Joplin to me feels dated at this point and the sync methods are just... cumbersome. I wish it worked differently!

• 9 months later...

Hi, @CorneliousJD I appreciate you putting in the time to make Joplin app available via docker. After start, and opening the WebUI I am receiving this error: 

"EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/app/.config/joplin-desktop'"

Perhaps this is the issue?: When using data volumes (-v flags), permissions issues can occur

Any suggestions? After hitting 'ok' on the error dialog, the logs show the app shutting down. [edit: remove unneeded info]

Edited by L a r s
remove unneeded info
8 hours ago, L a r s said:

Hi, @CorneliousJD I appreciate you putting in the time to make Joplin app available via docker. After start, and opening the WebUI I am receiving this error: 

"EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/app/.config/joplin-desktop'"

Perhaps this is the issue?: When using data volumes (-v flags), permissions issues can occur

Any suggestions? After hitting 'ok' on the error dialog, the logs show the app shutting down. Here is the log:

Easiest option here is to just chmod your /mnt/user/appdata/joplinapp to 0777 that way it should have whatever permission it needs.

This seems to be a recent issue with unraid's newer versions where permissions get wonky with containers, LOTS of of them need this type of permission change on new installs, which frankly kind of sucks, but this is the easiest solution to quickly fix yourself. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CorneliousJD said:

Easiest option here is to just chmod your /mnt/user/appdata/joplinapp to 0777 that way it should have whatever permission it needs.

This seems to be a recent issue with unraid's newer versions where permissions get wonky with containers, LOTS of of them need this type of permission change on new installs, which frankly kind of sucks, but this is the easiest solution to quickly fix yourself. 

Thanks for your help - chmod -R 0777 /mnt/user/appdata/joplinapp did the trick. (still new to linux...)

• Thanks 1
  • 11 months later...

In case anyone has issues, here is how I got this container working with the latest version of the Joplin app:

1. After installing the app, you need to 
    chown -R 1000:1000 /mnt/user/appdata/joplinapp
  2. Then, open a console into the docker (it should put you in /app.  If not, "cd /app"
  3. Get the latest appimage.  For 2.11.11, that would be (replace with whatever the latest is from https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/releases)
    wget https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/releases/download/v2.11.11/Joplin-2.11.11.AppImage
  4. Execute
    rm -rf /app/squashfs-root
  5. Execute
    chmod +x ./JoplinXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.AppImage

where JoplinXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.AppImage is the name of the file you downloaded in step 3 (e.g., Joplin-2.11.11.AppImage for the latest version at the time of this posting)

6. Execute
    /app/JoplinXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.AppImage --appimage-extract
  7. Execute

chown -R app:app /app/squashfs-root

8. That's it.  Now, restart the container and you should be running the latest version.

Hope this helps someone!

Edited by basnappl
Fixed some errors
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
7 hours ago, almarma said:

Hi. Any clue about how to install Joplin Server? It's mentioned on the description of this docker image, but I have no idea about how to install it instead of a client

Just came here to ask this myself...

Gonna have to do more digging.

• Like 1

I'm getting this in the log when I start the container. I can open the web page, but I don't get anything but the VNC stuff - no hint of the Joplin interface. Thoughts?

LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
xdg-settings
[836:0531/120249.610201:ERROR:bus.cc(392)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
[836:0531/120249.612397:ERROR:bus.cc(392)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[836:0531/120249.612425:ERROR:bus.cc(392)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[836:0531/120249.735565:ERROR:bus.cc(392)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
(node:836) electron: The default of nativeWindowOpen is deprecated and will be changing from false to true in Electron 15.  See https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/28511 for more information.
(Use `@joplinapp-desktop --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
[893:0531/120249.905764:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(162)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[922:0531/120249.974037:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(441)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is swiftshader
[836:0531/120256.016696:ERROR:bus.cc(392)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Got connection from client 127.0.0.1
31/05/2024 12:03:31   other clients:
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Got 'ws' WebSockets handshake
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Got protocol: binary
31/05/2024 12:03:31   - webSocketsHandshake: using binary/raw encoding
31/05/2024 12:03:31   - WebSockets client version hybi-13
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Disabled X server key autorepeat.
31/05/2024 12:03:31   to force back on run: 'xset r on' (3 times)
31/05/2024 12:03:31 incr accepted_client=1 for 127.0.0.1:43226  sock=10
31/05/2024 12:03:31 webSocketsDecodeHybi: got frame without mask
31/05/2024 12:03:31 rfbProcessClientProtocolVersion: read: Input/output error
31/05/2024 12:03:31 client_count: 0
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Restored X server key autorepeat to: 1
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Client 127.0.0.1 gone
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Statistics             events    Transmit/ RawEquiv ( saved)
31/05/2024 12:03:31  TOTALS              :      0 |         0/        0 (  0.0%)
31/05/2024 12:03:31 Statistics             events    Received/ RawEquiv ( saved)
31/05/2024 12:03:31  TOTALS              :      0 |         0/        0 (  0.0%)

I could have sworn I saw some config editing instructions somewhere in the install pages of the Joplin docs, but I'm not seeing them now.

Actually, I've realized that I have no need for this docker. Having a client running on my unRAID server doesn't buy me anything, as I'd use the Win desktop version of the client for use when I'm at home and the phone or laptop version when I'm away.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the effort put into making this docker available, just that (now that I've got a better understanding of how Joplin works) I realize I don't need it.

Yes you guys just need the Joplin server (there USED to be an app in CA for it but it's been removed) or just run it serverless since it uses flat files.

no actual need for a server. the idea behind this (not developed by me) was to just have a way to view your notes in a web browser was all.

This is not a server side software -- it just ran the app w/ a VNC window so you could view it.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:00 PM, CorneliousJD said:

Yes you guys just need the Joplin server (there USED to be an app in CA for it but it's been removed) or just run it serverless since it uses flat files.

no actual need for a server. the idea behind this (not developed by me) was to just have a way to view your notes in a web browser was all.

This is not a server side software -- it just ran the app w/ a VNC window so you could view it.

Yeah, it took me about 1/2 a day of digging and reading to get that figured out, but I did. Appreciate your efforts to put this together, but it's not something I'd need.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, ThanOneMulke said:

Yeah I love these "out of the box working containers without any manual" so much more thank workin stuff. Thanks for wasting my time!

While differing opinions, negative feedback and criticism are OK, please try to remain respectful towards others while expressing it. 🙂 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ThanOneMulke said:

Yeah I love these "out of the box working containers without any manual" so much more thank workin stuff. Thanks for wasting my time!

Wow, the entitlement here is so real. 

This thread, right here. The one you've posted in, is the support thread, which contains information for what this container is (and is not) and how it's used. AND that I am NOT the person who developed it. I simply put the template into CA in case anyone else wanted to use it. 

Feel free to build your own in the future instead. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, CorneliousJD said:

Wow, the entitlement here is so real. 

This thread, right here. The one you've posted in, is the support thread, which contains information for what this container is (and is not) and how it's used. AND that I am NOT the person who developed it. I simply put the template into CA in case anyone else wanted to use it. 

Feel free to build your own in the future instead. 

Yeah I respect your work. I also made some Unraid-Docker-Templates but I will do the devil before releasing them to the public. They have to work out of the box - if not, I will write a users manual. But any way, thanks for this experience. Joplin is nothing what I am looking for, its not 1% of Microsofts OneNote - sad to see there is no alternative.