Parity sync/rebuild speed is slow(Critical Noob Level Alert)

Hello. I am really new to this so please keep that in mind.

I just built a NAS using these spare parts I had:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500

MB: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI

PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX

SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB

Then I got myself these parts:

SilverStone CS381 (bad airflow case)

6 x Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

1 x Team Group CX2 2.5" 2TB SATA III

1x Samfox Model: SA3004 6Gb/s Pci-e Pci Express to 4-Port Sata 3.0 Expansion Controller Card

When I first booted Unraid and got the trial key, I went (under the steps I followed from a YouTube guide) to set up the array.
What I had in mind is:

1 x 8TB HDD for Parity (I thought I wanted to have more storage)

1 x 2TB SSD for cache (I used the 275GB SSD instead by mistake. Oooops!)

5 x 8TB HDD for storage (Will add 2 x 4TB HDD later when I empty them)

1 x 275GB SSD for Plex Data

So then after ‘configuring’ my array setup, I started Parity-Sync/Data-Rebuild process.

I started with speeds around 82MB/sec then after some hours it went down to 72MB and when writing this it went even further down to 67MB.

My noob theory is:

Either the controller is bad.

Or one of the HDD has issues since it was not working in one of the slots.

Attached is the diagnostics zip (Tools >> Diagnostics >> Download)

And some screenshots.

Just a heads up, I most likely will not understand some of the suggestions I will get since I am really knew to this and am planning to learn step by step and take it slow.

Thank you so much

2021-04-07 19_43_58-Window.png

2021-04-07 19_45_19-Cyborg_Main — Mozilla Firefox.png

2021-04-07 20_27_09-Cyborg_Main — Mozilla Firefox.png

cyborg-diagnostics-20210407-1907.zip

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It's normal for speed to decrease during a sync/check since disks are much faster in the outer tracks, but you're using a SATA port multiplier for 3 disks, this is bad for performance (and reliability), see here for a list of recommended controllers.

Wow! Thanks for the super quick response! It is incredible that you knew about the 3 disks connected to that "controller" in such a short time.

Ok. So The "controller" is bad. You called it multiplier is there a difference so that I can pay attention when getting the new one.

Also what controller do you suggest that I get?

I mean I am going to  mostly use it for personal use and Plex streaming.

After getting a new controller, do I have to (or should I) redo the parity sync/rebuild?

Is there anything you suggest that I should do differently when it comes to my set up plan?

Any hits or suggestions would be great!

Thanks a lot!

29 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It's normal for speed to decrease during a sync/check since disks are much faster in the outer tracks, but you're using a SATA port multiplier for 3 disks, this is bad for performance (and reliability), see here for a list of recommended controllers.

Something abnormal, if it is controller / multiplier issue related, we should expect a flat ceiling speed then start slowly drop once total bandwidth less then the ceiling bandwidth. Next, according the attach PIC, only parity in writing and other member were idle, I haven't idea what operation was going. 

In 2nd PIC was expect, all member in reading and parity in writing.

** Samfox Model: SA3004 must replace with recommend one **

Some moe ifo., that controller was PCIe 1x, most likely a PCIe 2.0, so expect max bandwidth was 500MB/s. With 5 data disks sync to 1 disk, expect each should got around 100MB/s. So with overhead, 83MB/s in start is normal.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, FreakLaws said:

It is incredible that you knew about the 3 disks connected to that "controller" in such a short time.

It's all in the diagnostics, if you know where to look:

Apr  6 11:19:16 Cyborg kernel: ata7.15: Port Multiplier 1.2, 0x1b21:0x1092 r0, 3 ports, feat 0x5/0xf

14 minutes ago, FreakLaws said:

Also what controller do you suggest that I get?

Click on the link:

26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

see here for a list of recommended controllers

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Something abnormal, if it is controller / multiplier issue related, we should expect a flat ceiling speed then start slowly drop once total bandwidth less then the ceiling bandwidth. Next, according the attach PIC, only parity in writing and other member were idle, I haven't idea what operation was going. 

In 2nd PIC was expect, all member in reading and parity in writing.

** Samfox Model: SA3004 must replace with recommend one **

Thanks!
Although I did not really understand everything, one thing is clear, you suggest the "controller" to be changed.

4 minutes ago, John_M said:

It's all in the diagnostics, if you know where to look:

Apr  6 11:19:16 Cyborg kernel: ata7.15: Port Multiplier 1.2, 0x1b21:0x1092 r0, 3 ports, feat 0x5/0xf

Click on the link:

Hahaha! Apologies. I clicked the link just after I sent that reply.
Thanks for clarifying things for me. I hope one day I can be as skilled as you guys in reading the diagnostics report, since I can't really understand much of it.

1 minute ago, Vr2Io said:

Sure, that type controller really rubbish.

The ASM1061 that it's based on is fine for controlling one or two disks and it's cheap and only needs a x1 slot. It's on the list of recommended controllers. The issue is with the port multiplier.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, John_M said:

The ASM1061 that it's based on is fine for controlling one or two disks and it's cheap and only needs a x1 slot. It's on the list of recommended controllers. The issue is with the port multiplier.

But I still need to get a new controller, right?

12 minutes ago, John_M said:

with the port multiplier.

Of course know that, not everyone understand the architecture of a controller card, call it controller just for easy understanding. The keypoint is it is PCIe 1x only.

10 minutes ago, FreakLaws said:

But I still need to get a new controller, right?

Yes, you connect 6 disks, LSI HBA i.e. 9211-8i also a PCI2.0 card, but it was PCIe 8x, much bandwidth.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Of course know that, not everyone understand the architecture of a controller card, call it controller just for easy understanding. The keypoint is it is PCIe 1x only.

Yes, you connect 6 disks, LSI HBA i.e. 9211-8i also a PCI2.0 card, but it was PCIe 8x, much bandwidth.

Alright, so after some searching, I found these parts and would like help choosing from them and if they are recommended/compatible:

Controllers:

https://www.amazon.com/Array-Internal-Controller-9260-8i-46M0851/dp/B07V6132NX

https://www.newegg.com/global/sa-en/p/14G-0006-00159?Item=9SIA4A0C555953

Cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Internal-SFF-8643-SFF-8087-Compatible-Controller/dp/B08NPY32ZN

9 minutes ago, FreakLaws said:

This card has a MegaRaid LSI chip which cannot be flashed with IT mode firmware.  It is not a good choice for unRAID.

The card in the 2nd link will work well.

Are you planning to connect SATA drives directly to the controller?  If so, you need an SFF-8087 to 4 SATA forward breakout cable like this one.  Make sure you get a forward breakout cable and not reverse.  The direction matters.  To connect 8 drives to the second controller listed, you would need two cables.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

This card has a MegaRaid LSI chip which cannot be flashed with IT mode firmware.  It is not a good choice for unRAID.

The card in the 2nd link will work well.

Are you planning to connect SATA drives directly to the controller?  If so, you need an SFF-8087 to 4 SATA forward breakout cable like this one.  Make sure you get a forward breakout cable and not reverse.  The direction matters.  To connect 8 drives to the second controller listed, you would need two cables.

Thanks for letting me know! I would never have known that by myself!

I chose that cable because I want to connect the PCIe controller (sff-8070) to my case  SilverStone CS381 which uses sff-8643.

So I will have to go with this one:

https://www.newegg.com/global/sa-en/p/14G-0006-00159?Item=9SIA4A0C555953

Hope that makes sense.

And are my choices good or bad?

2 hours ago, FreakLaws said:

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, just note you use SilverStone CS381.

HBA/cable price a bit expensive, btw different market/source have different price. I got those in 1/3 🙂

FYR, after add LSI HBA, expect parity sync/check should start in 180MB/s and end in 100MB/s, average 140MB/s.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Thanks 1