Preclear Error When Using Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Hi there I just added a few hard drives to my server and there using the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and I'm trying to run preclear on all of them but if I try to do more than one at a time I get the following error. Thanks in advance for the help.

Unraid login: root

Linux 2.6.32.9-unRAID.

root@Unraid:~# cd /boot

root@Unraid:/boot# screen

Device Model:    Hitachi HDS721010KLA330

Serial Number:    GTA000PAG8L57A

Firmware Version: GKAOA70M

User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes

Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

ATA Version is:  7

ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D revision 1

Local Time is:    Sun Feb 27 00:14:24 2011 PST

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

Error SMART Status command failed

Please get assistance from http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Register values returned from SMART Status command are:

ST =0x50

ERR=0x00

NS =0x20

SC =0x3f

CL =0x00

CH =0x00

SEL=0x40

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.$

Edit: I just added the disks to array instead of preclearing, and it seems to be working so far hopefully all the drives will format and add successfully. I was reading some other posts and it seems a few people have problems running pre-clear when using Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8. Thanks

can you please explain what and how do you add the -D option to the preclear script.

When you invoke it, you type

preclear_disk.sh -D  /dev/sdX

or

preclear_disk.sh -A -D /dev/sdX

or

preclear_disk.sh -D -A /dev/sdX

or

preclear_disk.sh -D -a /dev/sdX

or

preclear_disk.sh -a -D /dev/sdX

I am having exactly the same issue when trying to preclear a drive on the same controller.

I am using version 4.7 unraid and preclear 1.7. Initially I executed preclear with the -A option (seagate AF drive).

I got this:

Tower2 login: root

Linux 2.6.32.9-unRAID.

root@Tower2:/boot# preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/sdg

Pre-Clear unRAID Disk /dev/sdg

################################################################## 1.7

Error: preclear_disk unable to continue.

smartctl is unable to run on /dev/sdg with the -d ata option.

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:     ST2000DL003-9VT166

Serial Number:    5YD1PQX5

Firmware Version: CC32

User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:   8

ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is:    Thu Mar  3 19:08:55 2011 GMT

Register values returned from SMART Status command are:

ST =0x40

ERR=0x00

NS =0x08

SC =0xa2

CL =0xff

CH =0x03

SEL=0x40

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.$

iled:Tower2:/boot# A mandatory SMART command failed:A mandatory SMART command failed

root@Tower2:/boot# preclear_disk.sh -A -D /dev/sdg

smartctl is unable to run on /dev/sdg with the  option.

Local Time is:    Thu Mar  3 19:35:12 2011 GMT

I then added the -D option and the same:

root@Tower2:/boot# preclear_disk.sh -D -A /dev/sdg

smartctl is unable to run on /dev/sdg with the  option.

Local Time is:    Thu Mar  3 19:43:50 2011 GMT

root@Tower2:/boot#

Any ideas?

Thank you

I have an identical drive (Seagate LP ST2000DL003) being precleared on the same box with no issues - but that one is connected to an adaptec 1430.

I added the drive to the array  to see if unraid had any issues with. It formatted OK and shows up but then on the devices page I get:

disk1 device: pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-1:0:0:0 host7 (sdd) Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK11A4B8HX764W

disk2 device: pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-2:0:0:0 host8 (sde) Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK11A4B8HX7PMW

disk3 device: pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-3:0:0:0 host9 (sdf) Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK11A4B8HXAS7W

disk4 device: pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-4:0:0:0 host10 (sdh) Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK11A4B8HX7PDW

disk5 device: pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-5:0:0:0 host11 (sdi) Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK11A4B8HY20JW

disk6 device: pci-0000:01:00.0-sas-phy1:1-0x0100000000000000:1-lun0 host0 (sdg) ST2000DL003-9VT166_5YD1PQX5

disk7 device: unassigned

Disk6 is obviously connected to the AOC-SASLP.

I have seen the same errors and for me I narrowed it down to:

1. it occurs when the system is busy (eg rebuilding a drive, running a parity check etc) and I try and preclear a drive. retrying it a couple of times usually finds a some free cycles to get it through

2. I had accidentally added a 1.5G drive with a 3G drive on the same card (AOC-SASLP-MV8) and trying to preclear on that card was a problem (similar error). Again retrying it a few times got one through. Once I reset the 1.5G drive to 3G it was all good again.

As I said this is what I noticed but could be totally wrong  :) Hope this information is useful.

So Prostuff1 and Squirrellydw are you saying that you have never seen errors like these, or the duplicate driver error on boot, or mini lockups trying to get SMART info on the drive etc (granted these errors are few and far between)......... or are you saying yes these errors pop up now and then but it is of no consequence the systems still chugs along.

My opinion is that the drivers need a little work ie not as polished as they could be, but its still solid.

Looking forward to your feedback.

The card works fine.  You would be hearing much much more complaint if it did not work.

I have used it numerous times myself in client builds and never had a problem, compliant, or call to fix it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the card is not compatible with unraid. It clearly works..! As you mentioned, dozens, if not hundreds, of users have installed and used these cards without problems. It is about the only card out there with 8 ports on PCIe at a reasonable price. The others are much more expensive with raid functions which will never be used by unraid (3ware, adaptec, etc.). Like spencer785, I have it "working" with unraid in so far as the disk attacted has been formatted and added to the array. The issue is the functionality of this card with preclear. It seems to be more common on non-supermicro motherboards.

Having looked around the forum, it seems users who have it installed on supermicro motherboards have none of the issues mentioned above and yet there are a number of posts about their behaviour when installed in ASUS or Gigabyte boards. Again the issues are more to do with SMART commands/operations than drive errors or performance. I have swapped drives to other ports on the system and only those connected to the card refuse to do preclear. The adaptec 4port card has none of these issues and works well in all motherboards.

Ultimately this is not a huge problem if you can do preclear on another port and then use the ports on the SASLP-MV8, it is more a peace of mind issue to believe that these minor issues related to preclear will not manifest into serious problems in long term operation. So if the problem can be diagnosed, it can be determined if it can lead to problems in everyday usage.

Are you stating it's okay to unplug a disk that is using a built in port, and leave it disconnected for the time to complete a pre-clear? I though I had read that unRAID would flip out if a disk previously in the array was now not visible.

No... the disk is precleared, BEFORE adding it to the array. It's just that the port that is used to preclear has to be an unused port that is not on the SASLP-MV8 - in my case that would be a free port on the adaptec or the 2port JMB363 card in my new build:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11202.0

Once a disk has been formatted and added to the array, the array will not start without that disk.

Are you stating it's okay to unplug a disk that is using a built in port, and leave it disconnected for the time to complete a pre-clear? I though I had read that unRAID would flip out if a disk previously in the array was now not visible.

No... the disk is precleared, BEFORE adding it to the array. It's just that the port that is used to preclear has to be an unused port that is not on the SASLP-MV8 - in my case that would be a free port on the adaptec or the 2port JMB363 card in my new build:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11202.0

Once a disk has been formatted and added to the array, the array will not start without that disk.

Sorry, that was supposed to quote of your post.

Sounds like I'll need to get another SIL3132 just for preclearing before adding the disk to the SASLP-MV8. I'm weeks away from it, but it doesn't hurt to have things mapped out ahead of time.

Sorry, that was supposed to quote prostuff1.

Sounds like I'll need to get another SIL3132 just for preclearing before adding the disk to the SASLP-MV8. I'm weeks away from it, but it doesn't hurt to have things mapped out ahead of time.

Only if you have already tried to run preclear on a disk  attatched to your SASLP card and got the same error as spencer785 or I got.

Sorry, that was supposed to quote prostuff1.

Only if you have already tried to run preclear on a disk  attatched to your SASLP card and got the same error as spencer785 or I got.

Alright. I think I understand now. Stupid ASUS M4A785-M...  :D

What is a good alternative to that SuperMicro card? I'm pre-clearing a drive right now, but my syslog had quite a few errors in it that I've never seen before.

I spent some time looking this morning. There's a couple Adaptec models that look okay as replacements. My board has two PCI-E slots, so two four port cards are not out of the question. That solution just doubles the cost of expanding, that's all.

What is a good alternative to that SuperMicro card? I'm pre-clearing a drive right now, but my syslog had quite a few errors in it that I've never seen before.

There is only one that I have seen which compares on price / spec. That's the Highpoint 2684: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_rr2600.htm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115057

Searching this forum indicates that there are serious issues with this adapter and unraid in normal use (i.e. not just preclear).

I think supermicro card should not be discounted just because of the preclear issues. I ihave just read a post from another user

sorry if this has been asked, i tried searching for it but one of the keywords is "smart" and it gave me 7 pages of results in this thread alone :P

Im trying to preclear some of my HDDs that are connected to a LSI SATA/SAS card.

Drives on that don't report any smart data, so when running pre-clear it fails straight away.

Is there a way to skip the SMART testing?

I think due to the fact that preclear relies on smart data and commands does not mean that the host card which does not fully provide this; can not perform its functions in unraid. Unless I am wrong, in which case it would be great if someone can correct me...

Joe helped me determine that the locking issues I was experiencing with WD EARS drives was due an issue with the preclear script addressing sectors that did not exist, not with the drives themselves, the SASLP cards, or any other hardware.  Joe will likely be releasing preclear 1.8 soon which fixes this issue.

So before you spend a bunch of money on new hardware, you might want to wait for preclear 1.8 and see if that fixes the issue.