Chia farming, plotting; array and unassigned devices

Shunz

Sync status: Synced
   -Total Balance: 2.000001500136 xch (2000001500136 mojo)
Sync status: Not synced
   -Total Balance: 6.0 xfx (6000000000000 mojo)
Sync status: Synced
   -Total Balance: 2000.0 cgn (2000000000000000 mio)
   -Total Balance: 40.0 spare (40000000000000 graviton)
   -Total Balance: 12.0 xgj (12000000000000 moji)
   -Total Balance: 12.0 xse (12000000000000 mojo)

How u doin.

is your cgn still synced?

mine stopped farming around 10:28am this morning I noticed.

restarted the client and it's stuck at 'not synced' block height 295417, and all the peers I see on the screen have the same height.

something break somewhere else?

looks like i'm not the only one who's noticed.

also...

Difficulty 4028610604171264

somebody shut the chain down for the moment I guess?

that's 229*2^44 btw. :D

Edited by sota

Interesting, thanks for the heads up, will try that out as well.

I am waiting for things to settle out a bit to start plotting. Going to move over to the new plots just not in a major rush to do it. Want to give the forks time to implement the changes so I can keep farming them all lol.

I did figure out what seems to be causing a slowdown when starting blockchains, seems my antique 250gb drive that is lucky to get ~30mb/s is slowing everything down a lot. Gonna remove that one from the raid at some point and see if things speed up. That drive stays pegged at 100% during startup of a blockchain.

Edited by TexasUnraid
1 minute ago, sota said:

at this point i'm gambling on one of these forks having some value at some point.

it's about the best I can do.

lol, ditto.

It costs nothing to farm them now, so keep doing it and see if I get lucky down the road.

Chia itself it almost not worth the hassle at the market value right now unless like us you already had the hardware and you don't care about it. Most of these drives I simply do not care if they live or die. I have moved to 12TB+ for my real data.

Speaking of which, I ordered some 14TB drives back in april for $200 each and they are STILL on backorder. Got an email today that they don't expect them before October! I actually need those drives to get a proper backup of my unraid server.

lol, yeah pretty close to mine. 8x 12tb drives for my main server and planning to use these 14tb drives as backups.

Although I will be using the dirsyncpro docker to handle the sync. It is MUCH faster then using a windows VM in my testing (I also tried that first and it was stupid slow with a bunch of small files).

Might look into the dirsyncpro docker, it has a GUI and works great. The drives also work natively with unassigned devices with unraid which I find a lot easier to deal with. Plus I like having all my drives encrypted, just provides that piece of mind that my data won't fall into someone else's hands.

I also use BTRFS for all the drives, the check summing is really nice so you don't have to worry about silent data corruption.

Edited by TexasUnraid

does it do something similar to the archive attribute in windows? that was my biggest stumbling block with any other choices.

I need to be able to split up the 50TB protected array, on to many smaller disks.  and frankly, running a windows VM under unraid and using robocopy, with the source array as a UNC, and the target device(s) as locally attached disks (passed through from UD), I'm still seeing full data rate to the target disks (100MB/s+), so I don't think i'm hurting in terms of speed.

Edited by sota

Had a strange thought after reading a youtube comment about people selling their old plots when moving to the new pool plots.

I would consider selling my drives + plots + seed if there was a market for it. I mean if someone wanted ~20TB worth of drives + plots for ~$250, I think I would let it go and hope hard drive prices get back to normal in the coming months then re-purchase a new 14tb drive with the money. Loose a bit of space but save ~100w worth of power and 16 bays in my server.

Someone would be silly to buy it though so doubt it would happen.

when I did my unraid array backup a couple times, I noted the file copy speeds, and determined that they were within a couple % (at worst) of what the raw pre-clear data rates were for that size/style drive, so given that using a windows VM gave me the functionality I need (archive flag on the files, allows me to spread the backup across dissimilar sized drives) I'm going with it for now.  the other nice bit is, it stores the backup in NTFS format, which means if unraid took a total poop I could just connect the backup disks to any windows machine and get access to the files, if I needed them before I got unraid back up and running.

got my 10pack of 900GB 10k SAS DP disks in just now.

seller didn't disclose, they're 520byte format.

got sg_format taking care of it now, hopefully, but i'm gonna bitch the dude out a bit for NOT mentioning that.

also need to order another stick of memory for these chenbro machines.  8GB is getting tight with 7 sh*tcoins all running at the same time. :D 

Edited by sota

FYI, you can pop any unraid drive into a linux system like ubuntu and the drives will work perfectly, even able to unlock encrypted drives.

If you use BTRFS for the unraid drives there is winbtrfs on github that will allow you to mount them in windows as long as they are not encrypted.

I have been using both of these options while moving drives around between plotters and farming machines.

If it works though, run with it.

Since I had to upgrade all my drives anyways, I was lucky enough to be able to match up my data and backup disks 1:1. So I simply sync each disk to it's respective backup (well, I will once the rest arrive anyways).

This is also important for me as I handle all the organization of my data on the disks manually so I can keep files together to make restoring from data loss easier. Already had to deal with this once and it made life so much easier.

In your case I would personally use 2x 4tb drives for each 8tb data drive and backup directly between them but that does take a bit more setup of course. So I understand why you do it that way.

I will admit I have seen the archive option before but never messed with it or had a clue what it did lol.

9 minutes ago, sota said:

got my 10pack of 900GB 10k SAS DP disks in just now.

seller didn't disclose, they're 520byte format.

got sg_format taking care of it now, hopefully, but i'm gonna bitch the dude out a bit for NOT mentioning that.

also need to order another stick of memory for these chenbro machines.  8GB is getting tight with 7 sh*tcoins all running at the same time. :D 

yeah I could see that, I am sitting around 10-12gb of memory usage after mining for a few days it seems.

Lucky for me I found an old 4770 mobo/cpu/memory at a garage sale for $3 since something didn't work. The mobo appears to be dead but it came with 32gb of ddr3 that found a nice new home. 😉

15 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

FYI, you can pop any unraid drive into a linux system like ubuntu and the drives will work perfectly, even able to unlock encrypted drives.

If you use BTRFS for the unraid drives there is winbtrfs on github that will allow you to mount them in windows as long as they are not encrypted.

I have been using both of these options while moving drives around between plotters and farming machines.

If it works though, run with it.

Since I had to upgrade all my drives anyways, I was lucky enough to be able to match up my data and backup disks 1:1. So I simply sync each disk to it's respective backup (well, I will once the rest arrive anyways).

This is also important for me as I handle all the organization of my data on the disks manually so I can keep files together to make restoring from data loss easier. Already had to deal with this once and it made life so much easier.

In your case I would personally use 2x 4tb drives for each 8tb data drive and backup directly between them but that does take a bit more setup of course. So I understand why you do it that way.

I will admit I have seen the archive option before but never messed with it or had a clue what it did lol.

I run either a full or incremental backup (the joys of the archive flag. :D ), then clone the backup disks to another set, so I have 2 complete backups of my data.

41 minutes ago, sota said:

hence my love affair with <$10/TB 4TB disks :D 

Just can't bring myself to buy that small of drives anymore, would rather spend $14/tb and get a new 12tb disk back when that was a thing.

I seriously considered getting some 10TB disks for $10/tb just before chia but passed on it when the 14tb popped up for $15/tb.

Seeing as drives are going to stop getting bigger soon, I figure I could easily have these drives for the next ~10 years+ so not already having ~40k hours on them is worth it long term I think.