Disk faling - n00b need a little help

Hi

I got a disk that found more than 30K error in less than 24 hrs.

Seagate agreeded to start a replace.

I only have 2 normal HDD in my unraid Parity and Disk 1

Its disk 1 that is failing so here is my question.

Can i just shut down and pull the disk replace it and boot up again and all date will recover?

1 minute ago, Ira said:

Hi

I got a disk that found more than 30K error in less than 24 hrs.

Seagate agreeded to start a replace.

I only have 2 normal HDD in my unraid Parity and Disk 1

Its disk 1 that is failing so here is my question.

Can i just shut down and pull the disk replace it and boot up again and all date will recover?

Yes as with 1 parity drive you can recover from a single disk failing.

in fact if you start the array with disk1 removed it will act as if it were still present and UnRaid will say that it is emulating it (using parity) although you are now not protected against the parity disk failing as well.     When you plug in the replacement for disk1, then Unraid will rebuild its contents from the ‘emulated’ drive and you will be back in a protected state.   The procedure for replacing a failed disk is covered here in the 0nline documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI

Thank you.

Im a little confused one place it say i can replace safe other it say i might have some data loss :/

Array cannot tolerate a disk failure without potential data loss to both the disk being replaced and the additional disk that has failed.

Data is still available and the disk can be replaced

The first point applies when you have more disks failing than you have parity drives.    Unlike more traditional RAID systems under Unraid any disk that has not failed will still have its data intact and accessible even when you have more drive failures than parity drives.   On a traditional RAID system everything is lost in such a scenario.

Thank you very much i love the nice people that help even if i might make some stupid question due to my n00b level >_<

Befor i return the disk i need to be sure that its failing.

I was using Plex monday when i saw i had error my plex started to fail as the Parity check started now i stoped it and plex is fine again.

Is this cos while Parity check is going on it cant access the Parity drive and when it stoped it can use both disk again?

• 2 weeks later...