Western Digital to Buy Hitachi HD Ops For $3.5 Billion

johnodon

It really depends on what they do with the hitachi brand. Obviously Hitachi drives haven't been held in the highest regard since the while Deathstar incident, but if be upset if they just consumed the company and it went away.

I think the competition would be a good thing so this will definitely effect that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:( >:(>:(

echo "bjp999" | at now

This kind of really sucks.  I have started recommending the Hitachi 5K3000 drives for all my clients builds as they have looked rather good in the all tests so far.  The WD seem to be locking up on certain people, the samsungs have firmware issues, and the Seagate also had firmware issues...

Was hoping to see a green 3T drive from Hitachi soon.  Hope they are in the pipeline.

I remember when Seagate bought Maxtor, Maxtor drives continued to be available for a while.  But since the whole company is not being sold, just the HDD division, likely the Hitachi branding will disappear almost overnight.

Only good news is maybe we'll see some closeout deals. :-\

Wonder what the timeline looks like.  Final statement about penalty for backing out - wonder if that implies it will take some time to execute.

Only good news is maybe we'll see some closeout deals. :-\

If WD wants to get all the Hitachi drives out of the market that they can they will run deals on them.  If that is the case I will probably be buying a few even though I do not need them at this point in time.

I was impressed with the Hitachi's I have used in client builds... sad to see them go...

Interesting news to be greeted with during the Monday morning news feed consumption. Have had a good opinion of Hitachi, and not sure what my ultimate opinion on the matter is. The Seagate gulping of Maxtor wasn't without its rough spots. I guess we'll find out later this year...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:( >:(>:(

echo "bjp999" | at now

This kind of really sucks.  I have started recommending the Hitachi 5K3000 drives for all my clients builds as they have looked rather good in the all tests so far.  The WD seem to be locking up on certain people, the samsungs have firmware issues, and the Seagate also had firmware issues...

+1*2

I have been using Hitachi's almost exclusively when their 2 TB drives seemed to be the best performing and reliable, and under priced.  Now we have the most expensive brand gobbling up competition because they are losing market share.  We'll only have 3 choices in hard drives by next year, and that is a terrible thing.

Competion is good. When competion goes away so does your choice. ACK

Even thou I'm exclusively a WD household other than what came pre-installed on my laptop, which I think might be Fujitsu I just hate to see another company go down.

Heck I still have one of those DeathStar drives and it still works to this day. LOL