[Solved] Parity Disk Slows Unraid Tremendously and Takes forever to Write Making it Uselss

Hello, New to Unraid transferred from Freenas to Synology to Unraid. 

I recently setup Unraid and while setting up this Large Plex server I took some YouTube video lessons to prep it on unraid and so far I love it. Only thing and the most frustrating thing is this. When I finally got enough money to buy a parity drive I install it and add it to the slot but it says it'll take 1060 days or more to finalize (INSANE) and not only that it slows the whole system down and Plex is unplayable completely it would freeze randomly or not load at all. Is there something I am doing wrong, Anyone can give me some pointers or tips attached is my setup screenshots if more info needed please let me know and if possible where to obtain. I Took out the parity and Cache as for some reason adding it just slows everything down and make plex inaccessible. 

Parity.PNG

System Specs.PNG

Hardware.PNG

Looks as if your diagnostics appear to be shortly after booting and not taken while you were exhibiting the problem?  Regardless, they are enough to show that you have file system corruption on disk7 so you should put the array into maintenance mode and the click on the drive on the Main tab to run a file system check and  repair.

• Thanks 1

Ok so switch it to maintenance mode and then click on the drive on the main tab and run a file system check should I do that for all drives with a error indicated next to them? Before i put these drives in they didn't have any errors until I tried to do the parity and the error occurred during that state. I will run the maintenance mode and all repairs and come back thanks for the quick response! if any other news please keep letting me know what I will need to do.

Diags are just after booting, but there are already ATA errors in multiple disks:

Jun 25 07:19:58 RetroShare-Plex kernel: ata6: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Jun 25 07:19:58 RetroShare-Plex kernel: ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Jun 25 07:22:27 RetroShare-Plex kernel: ata3: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)

You should replace cables on these disks, could also be a power issue.

• Thanks 1

I am running a 14 Bay Server is there any power supply you all recommend that would be sufficient to my specs? I am currently at 1000w but maybe that was enough? Also I am using power splitters as most of these power supplies do not come with many Sata Power Cables attached to them, I am open to any suggestions and will get this replace asap if this will be another solution to my issues. I am currently using these. 

Power Splitters

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V6QA65G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Supply

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07817VQJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Guess these aren't strong enough for the Build? Which is shocking because I have a gaming rig with 1000w with a 3090 and double the specs and just 5 Hard Drives that run just fine no issues so not sure I am putting money on the splitters. But what power supply would have multiple harddrive power cables for a 14 bay? 

ok I did run -n and -nv in the repair section but i am not sure if I am doing the repairs right is there a place I can check what does what or can someone point me to the right direction? Also key note these drives have data on them already. except the last two in the array. Thanks again! Also forgot to ask is it possible to change my file formats from xfs to Brtfs without having to lose my data? I DID NOT KNOW that the starting format is xfs i was so used to always being in brtfs from the other servers i just saw that and don't know which would be the best choice for UNRAID.

Edited by Amagner
11 hours ago, Amagner said:

ok I did run -n and -nv in the repair section but i am not sure if I am doing the repairs right is there a place I can check what does what or can someone point me to the right direction?

You need to run xfs_repair without -n (no modify flag) or nothing will be done.

11 hours ago, Amagner said:

Also forgot to ask is it possible to change my file formats from xfs to Brtfs without having to lose my data?

No, disks have to be formatted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that It's fine to keep it xfs its just a big plex server really thanks for that information rather not format anything haha, I ran the repairs after youtubing some things and did the -v repairs since -n is just a report of what it would do. I completed the repairs and everything is checking out fine now i even did it with the parity drives attached but that took longer for some reason and was slower. After all complete everything showed fine and i took those two parity drives out. I got the cables to replace the splitters I will try and do it tonight or sunday night. I think it might legit be a power issue spinning the drives slowly, will update once cables are switched and see if the parity drives kick faster afterwards. Thanks again for the awesome help i will keep you all posted!

• Like 1

Update:

Thank you guys so much seems you guys were on the mark the power to the drives were just not as strong with the splitters. thank you jonathanm for pointing out the molex adapters and recommending not to go for splitters rather those adapters, Thank you everyone else for working together and finding the faults in my system! I switched the cables and got everything hooked up and now my parity will only take 1 day and 2 hours compared to 1060 days! i can finally have security also plex and everything else is working while thats happening in the background so this is wonderful! You guys rock! if theres like a kudo thing to give proper thanks let me know how! im a happy unraid pro user now :3

• Like 2
  • ChatNoir changed the title to [Solved] Parity Disk Slows Unraid Tremendously and Takes forever to Write Making it Uselss