[6.9.2] Shutdown while mover is running

Hi,

I'm currently turning the system on and off using a Raspberry Pi connected to the MB's pins. This way I can emulate the pressing of the power button, remotely.

I believe that this procedure doesn't let the array stop properly. If the mover is running while I press the power button, the system will shutdown cleanly with no error and no data loss, but the file that was being transferred from the cache pool to the array will stick to the cache forever. 

In other words, the file is ignored by the mover, even if it is still on the cache drive.
Which is the proper way to cleanly shutdown the system without breaking the mover? 

Edited by Alby24

Normally it is by issuing the 'shutdown' command from the GUI or the command line.

If trying to do it via simulating pressing the power button then you must simulate a short press (just a few seconds) which should also initiate the shutdown sequence.  

What you must NOT do is simulate pressing the power button for a long time (e.g. 30 seconds) as that will force the BIOS to do an immediate cut of the power.

23 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Normally it is by issuing the 'shutdown' command from the GUI or the command line.

If trying to do it via simulating pressing the power button then you must simulate a short press (just a few seconds) which should also initiate the shutdown sequence.  

What you must NOT do is simulate pressing the power button for a long time (e.g. 30 seconds) as that will force the BIOS to do an immediate cut of the power.

Yes a short press is what I am simulating already, but that seems to generate the issue.

How is the mover supposed to behave if system shuts down while running?

Could someone else try to reproduce this?

Edited by Alby24
4 minutes ago, Alby24 said:

Yes a short press is what I am simulating already, but that seems to generate the issue.

How is the mover supposed to behave if system shuts down while running?

Could someone else try to reproduce this?

Have you tried a short press on the real power button to see if that works?  You need to get the Pi out of the loop at this stage and make sure that is being captured, and if not then look into why.  If that seems to be captured but the system does not shutdown tidily then it is probably worth raising it as a bug report.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Have you tried a short press on the real power button to see if that works?  You need to make sure that is being captured.

It is being captured because the system does turn off.

Anyway, I haven't tried to reproduce it with the real power button yet, but tomorrow I definitely will.

Edited by Alby24
Just now, Alby24 said:

It is being captured because the system does turn off.

You need to make sure that it is being captured as a "short" press to initiate the Unraid shutdown sequence.  If it is being treated as a "long" press then that is captured by the BIOS and does an immediate poweroff bypassing Unraid.

This is the code that simulates the pressing of the button (it pilotes a relay)

gpio mode 0 out
sleep 0.500
gpio write 0 0
sleep 0.250
gpio write 0 1

As you can see, the signal is up for less than a second. 

In fact, I never got problems about unclean shutdowns, it is just this mover "thing".

Edited by Alby24
11 minutes ago, Alby24 said:

This is the code that simulates the pressing of the button (it pilotes a relay)

gpio mode 0 out
sleep 0.500
gpio write 0 0
sleep 0.250
gpio write 0 1

As you can see, the signal is up for less than a second. 

In fact, I never got problems about unclean shutdowns, it is just this mover "thing".

It sounds like a bug in the shutdown code then where the mover process is being forcibly aborted leaving behind an incomplete file on the array rather than shutting down tidily and making sure that any partially copied file on the array is removed.  Because mover never overwrites existing files on the array this would give the symptom you describe of the file getting 'stuck' on the cache.  

14 hours ago, itimpi said:

It sounds like a bug in the shutdown code then where the mover process is being forcibly aborted leaving behind an incomplete file on the array rather than shutting down tidily and making sure that any partially copied file on the array is removed.  Because mover never overwrites existing files on the array this would give the symptom you describe of the file getting 'stuck' on the cache.  

I managed to reproduce the problem by pressing the power button manually, steps:

• Transfer a large file (mine was 271 GB) to a share that uses the cache pool
  • Invoke the mover, or wait for its schedule, doesn't make any difference
  • Press the power button, the system shuts down 
  • Turn on the system again
  • The file that was being transferred is stuck on the cache drive and the mover will ignore it from now on
  • A copy of the file is present on the array too (perhaps damaged, even if showing the correct size, as there is no way 271 GB were copied in a few minutes)

So yes, it sounds like a bug in the shutdown/mover code.

Could someone else try to reproduce it?

Alright, maybe I have understood what is happening.

UnRaid this time noticed that something was off, this notification was shown:

Automatic unRaid Non-Correcting Parity Check will be started
Unclean shutdown detected

I believe this happened every other time but I just ignore it because I didn't realize the mover was running.

Probably unRaid will now wait for the parity check to end, and it will realize that the file was moved only partially and eventually invoke the mover again.

Still, I need the parity check to be complete to verify this, so...See you tomorrow :) 

AFAIK, a powerdown will stop mover.  However, it'll probably only manage to cleanly stop it after the current transfer is finished.

If (with everything else going on during a shutdown), mover takes longer than the shutdown timeout, then the system will forcibly kill the process.  This will result in a partial file being on the array (in the case of useCache:yes), or a partial file being on the cache pool (useCache:prefer).

Because of how Unraid handles multiple identically named files on the array / cache, in the latter case it will appear that the file is corrupted / incomplete. (even though the source file isn't)

So basically unRaid uses COW in the case of useCache:yes and the source file cannot be corrupted, am I correct?
I will still wait for this parity check to end, to see if unRaid can solve the issue automatically.

I believe more tests need to be done, does the same behaviour occur when the shutdown is sent using the GUI or with the "powerdown" command in a terminal?
(I read somewhere that "powerdown" is a cleaner way to stop the system)

Thanks for your help guys

35 minutes ago, Alby24 said:

So basically unRaid uses COW in the case of useCache:yes and the source file cannot be corrupted, am I correct

UnRaid is not using COW - just a simple copy that it looks like is being aborted prematurely.    I would expect the copy that appears to be ‘stuck’ on the cache to be fine.

Hello again,

Parity check completed successfully (finding 0 errors), but the mover is still ignoring those files and so they are "stuck" on the cache drive.

Today I will make another attempt by shutting down the system via the GUI button.

What now? Can we officially call it a bug?

39 minutes ago, Alby24 said:

but the mover is still ignoring those files and so they are "stuck" on the cache drive.

You just need to delete the partial files and run the mover again, it can be considered a bug but a very corner case, or do you plan to regularly shutdown the server while the mover is running?

• 7 months later...