Intel 12th generation Alder Lake / Hybrid CPU

On 5/20/2022 at 1:20 PM, Daniel Heppner said:

What's the latest on IOMMU groups? I have a good deal on a i5 12600k + ASUS Z690 Motherboard combo. I'm hoping to run a Windows VM for gaming with a GPU, will it be possible? Have people had any luck with this kind of setup on one of these CPUs?

I've got an ASRock z690 and the 12600k. Running a 6 P core W11 VM with no issues performance wise. I couldn't pass through the onboard audio though due to too many things in the IOMMU grouping, so YMMV. Luckily I have sound via HDMI out.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:20 PM, Daniel Heppner said:

What's the latest on IOMMU groups? I have a good deal on a i5 12600k + ASUS Z690 Motherboard combo. I'm hoping to run a Windows VM for gaming with a GPU, will it be possible? Have people had any luck with this kind of setup on one of these CPUs?

Got 12700k with Asus mobo, shutting down win10 VM with 3060ti passed through freezes unraid with no error after some time, usually 1-2 hours, not immediately so upgrading to 5.18 didn't change this for me (same happens with old kernels, tried 5.10 with unraid 6.9.2 and 5.15 with unraid 6.10). Somehow it freezes faster now than before, with older kernels it was taking ~5-6 hours until freeze

Edited by Alz7777
On 5/21/2022 at 11:47 AM, snazz said:

I've got an ASRock z690 and the 12600k. Running a 6 P core W11 VM with no issues performance wise. I couldn't pass through the onboard audio though due to too many things in the IOMMU grouping, so YMMV. Luckily I have sound via HDMI out.

Not too worried about the audio issue- I use audio via a Dell USB docking station anyway. Hopefully I'm able to get that thing working. Do you have a GPU passed through as well? Sounds like you have the same setup I'm aiming for. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Heppner said:

Not too worried about the audio issue- I use audio via a Dell USB docking station anyway. Hopefully I'm able to get that thing working. Do you have a GPU passed through as well? Sounds like you have the same setup I'm aiming for. 

Which Dell dock do you have? I might have the same one at home and could try passing it through to get audio. And yeah, I have a 3080 passed through to the VM. Performance is great and the VM & host OS are stable, although I haven't done much to stress both at the same time.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:26 AM, flyize said:

If anyone else wants to try @thor2002ro's latest kernel, its very simple.

1. Backup your USB drive. You're very unlikely to screw up, but you should be doing this anyway
  2. Download the latest kernel from https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases
  3. Download the latest firmware file from https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases. Note: this isn't always included with every release. As of this writing, the latest firmware file is found under 5.18rc2 20220412 o3 clang14 thin LTO 6.9.2.
  4. Power down your Unraid server and plug the USB drive into your computer.
  5. In the root of the drive, move or rename the following files: bzimage, bzimage.sha256, bzmodules, bzmodules.sha256, bzfirmware, bzfiremware.sha256
  6. Unzip and move all the downloaded files into the root of the USB drive.
  7. Open /syslinux/syslinux.cfg in a text editor. Look for the following entry:
label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot

and add

md_mod.unraid_patch=22

to the append section. It should look like this:

label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot md_mod.unraid_patch=22

Note: Pay attention to the release notes from @thor2002ro as that Unraid patch number may change!

8. Plug the USB drive back into the server and start her up!

9. Profit.

@thor2002ro's 5.18 kernel is out. I'm travelling this weekend and can't risk the server crashing while I'm gone, but for those willing...

https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases

• Thanks 1
On 5/20/2022 at 6:20 PM, Daniel Heppner said:

When I was doing my own research I found a couple of people talking about ASUS IOMMU:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/asus-z690-usb-controller-and-ram-in-same-group/178838

Taking a punt that this is the motherboard in your bundle. I've been using a Win VM with a GPU plugged into a monitor and have not had any trouble on MSI.

On 5/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, flyize said:

@thor2002ro's 5.18 kernel is out. I'm travelling this weekend and can't risk the server crashing while I'm gone, but for those willing...

https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases

I upgraded to 5.18 (Unraid 6.10.0) and tried hardware encoding in Plex. Played a film for about 20 mins and it didn't crash. (In 6.9.2 when I tried it, it would crash the server after about a minute.)

I'll see how stable it is over the next few days.

• Like 6
On 5/27/2022 at 10:59 PM, michaeldt said:

I upgraded to 5.18 (Unraid 6.10.0) and tried hardware encoding in Plex. Played a film for about 20 mins and it didn't crash. (In 6.9.2 when I tried it, it would crash the server after about a minute.)

I'll see how stable it is over the next few days.

Something new ?

we are all curious 😅 it’s still up? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, feraay said:

Something new ?

we are all curious 😅 it’s still up? 

Well, I bought a UPS, so had to shut it down to connect the UPS up. But after I rebooted, I played a film through plex again and it was still fine (only played a few minutes). Haven't used plex since, but the server is still up now (2days). I'll run a whole film through this evening while I do other stuff and see if it crashes.

Update: So some files play fine, others cause a crash. I'm not yet sure what the difference is, but it's not working universally, so I'd advise against upgrading for now if you need a lot of transcoding. 

Edited by michaeldt
12 hours ago, michaeldt said:

Well, I bought a UPS, so had to shut it down to connect the UPS up. But after I rebooted, I played a film through plex again and it was still fine (only played a few minutes). Haven't used plex since, but the server is still up now (2days). I'll run a whole film through this evening while I do other stuff and see if it crashes.

Update: So some files play fine, others cause a crash. I'm not yet sure what the difference is, but it's not working universally, so I'd advise against upgrading for now if you need a lot of transcoding. 

Weird, I've been running on 6.10 with 5.18rc7 for some time now with 0 issues and heavy transcoding.

I'll install 5.18 release today/tomorrow.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:04 AM, Luukholleman said:

Weird, I've been running on 6.10 with 5.18rc7 for some time now with 0 issues and heavy transcoding.

I'll install 5.18 release today/tomorrow.

Thats the first result ive seen that has no crashyness.   You're sure you're hardware transcoding with the iGPU?

• Like 1
On 5/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, michaeldt said:

The films that cause crashes, do they co sister my do it?  Are they possibly HDR content?

Before I switched to Unraid my Ubuntu system on 5.17 would crash when doing HDR tonemapping, if I disabled HDR tonemapping everything was fine.

Right now I'm running the 5.18 kernel with Unraid 6.10 and it seems to work fine so far, I haven't enabled HDR tonemapping though.

5 hours ago, feraay said:

Thought the same may hdr Tonemapping?

@michaeldt

do you have enabled hdr tonemapping? 

does the whole system crash or just the Plex container? 

thx 

HDR tonemapping disabled. Can't think of anything to distinguish between them. HEVC, mkv container. Same audio codec etc. 

The first couple of times it was just Plex that crashed. It seems that after playing fine, the GPU gets locked up somehow - GPU stats shows 2-3 Watts usage when nothing is playing and trying to hardware transcode anything just fails to play. Need to restart pc to fix. 

Later on unraid crashed as well.

18 hours ago, jbrukardt said:

Thats the first result ive seen that has no crashyness.   You're sure you're hardware transcoding with the iGPU?

100% sure, CPU low, iGPU usage goes brrrrrrrrr

17 hours ago, Oggie said:

What cpu do you have ?

12400, combined with Gigabyte B660M DS3H if that matters.

Running for 2 days now without problems and heavy use on 5.18 and 6.10.1. HDR tonemapping is still broken on plex (on emby it works), plex was working on it AFAIK. But HW resolution/quality transcoding works 100%.

Edited by Luukholleman
1 hour ago, feraay said:

Ah ok it’s not the first time I read that 12400 works may the Igpu is already supported 

UHD-Grafik 730 Is also on the 11400 so the igpu support is may better

Nope, stock kernel definitely crashes on the 12400.  I think I got two days once, but roughly once a day crashes. Heavy use server, mind you, it wouldn't just crash when it transcodes a particular file, it would often do several just fine.  

But hard crashes inevitably.

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Nope, stock kernel definitely crashes on the 12400.  I think I got two days once, but roughly once a day crashes. Heavy use server, mind you, it wouldn't just crash when it transcodes a particular file, it would often do several just fine.  

But hard crashes inevitably.

Either I'm very lucky or I gotta disagree. Been running RC kernel for 2 weeks now. 

My server is never doing nothing. I'm constantly running encoding jobs in the background on 6 cores, other stuff running on the other 6, often transcoding on the GPU on foreground with 4 plex users. Hope I don't jinx it but it doesn't crash.

• Confused 1