Rajahal

SATA Controller Cards

647 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 2/23/2019 at 5:01 PM, johnnie.black said:

That's a good option and it's plug and play, seems a little too cheap for a new one though, need to be careful of fakes.

How do you tell if it is a fake or doesn't work as advertised? I mean if you did buy one. How would one tell?

3 hours ago, vdsilva said:

I mean if you did buy one. How would one tell?

You can check the serial number with Broadcom to see if it's genuine, though likely only after buying it, I usually buy used server pulls, less chance of getting a fake.

Anyone know of a good and cheap (around 200 us dollars) HBA that has 16 internal and at least 4 external ports? I rather it be a single slot.

I got a Norco 4224, and want to fill the other 16 slots (24 total MB has 8 sata).  And I'm looking at using the 4 external for 2 bd drives and a quick connect 2.5 and 3.5 drives.

I been looking at a few cards on eBay the only one that I found for a decent price was the lsi 9280, but not sure on how it would work with unRAID. I'm not good enough to troubleshoot and make it work. Do I'm hoping on a plug and play.

2 hours ago, mdipinto said:

I been looking at a few cards on eBay the only one that I found for a decent price was the lsi 9280, but not sure on how it would work with unRAID.

I did a quick search and I don't believe this is what you want.  It is a dedicated RAID card and won't work with Unraid.  Read here for a details on the type of card that you should be looking for:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69018-sata-controller-replacement-question-and-advice/?tab=comments#comment-630097

Can I use an Intel Raid Expander with the LSI 9211-8i card to add more than 8 drives? I have the expander here that not in use atm and I want to add 14 drives to unraid.

6 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

Can I use an Intel Raid Expander with the LSI 9211-8i card to add more than 8 drives?

You can use an Intel SAS expander.

Thank you.

Turns out the LSI 9211-8i I bought is fake. Probably why it gives me CRC error all the time on all my drives. No error when connected to motherboard, so it looks like the lsi card is faulty.

So I am having a hard time deciding on what to buy. I have an areca 1880i that I cant figure out how to use with unRaid so then I need a new card. No clue on what disk index is and were to find it 🤣

There is a second hand Dell H310 being sold not far from me and there is always the option to buy a new 9211 or 9207 off ebay with the risk of it being fake again. Dos it matter which one of these cards I buy to use with Inte Expander RES2SV240?

3 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

Dos it matter which one of these cards I buy to use with Inte Expander RES2SV240?

No, they all work.

I see. Thank you.

One last question then :)

Will the 9207 perform better than the other two since it has pcie-3 over pcie-2?

2 minutes ago, ProphetSe7en said:

Will the 9207 perform better than the other two since it has pcie-3 over pcie-2?

It will have more bandwidth, the question is if it's needed, depends on how many disks you have on the expander and if using single or dual link, some benchmarks here.

Posted (edited)

as far as I can tell the intel card only has one input port?

I have all my drives attached to the expander, so a totalt of 8 drives + 4 SSD. Will be adding 2 more drives soon.

Edit: Turns out I have no clue on what dual link on the expander is lol

Edited by ProphetSe7en

what are people buying now a days? I am looking for a card doesn't need to be anything special, but preferably cheapish and 8 or 2 4s if needed. My MB has 6 ports which I am using now with 5 drives and another utility drive. Current case has enough expansion for 12 total drives so shouldn't need more than 8 I am thinking in the current setup. 

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Current recomendation is to use LSI cards.  The ones you should be looking for are listed here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69018-sata-controller-replacement-question-and-advice/?tab=comments#comment-630097

You can find most of these for less than $100US on E-bay.  The used cards (particularly, HP and Dell OEM) are prized as the are generally genuine LSI parts.   But they must be crossflashed with the LSI firmware to be in the 'IT Mode'.  New LSI cards can be counterfeit and the seller must be carefully vetted to determine if they are selling genuine LSI cards.  (Cheaper is not the way to go if you want to avoid getting a counterfeit card.  The Real Deal is going to cost a bit more...)     

Edited by Frank1940

Picked up a couple low capacity SATA controllers for testing the Controller Benchmark in my DiskSpeed docker.

Ubit Riser Card, PCIe 2.0 X4 to SATA III 6-Port Adapter Card (ASM Chipset) for IPFS Mining - Model SU-SA3006.V1: No driver support in unRIAD

Rivo 4 Port SATA III PCIe 2.0 X1, Marvell 88SE9215: Detected & loaded

6 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

Ubit Riser Card, PCIe 2.0 X4 to SATA III 6-Port Adapter Card (ASM Chipset) for IPFS Mining - Model SU-SA3006.V1: No driver support in unRIAD

This one should work with the standard AHCI driver, though usually don't work very well because of the port multipliers.

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

This one should work with the standard AHCI driver, though usually don't work very well because of the port multipliers.

Shame it didn't. Could see it in the lspci list but none of the six drives I attached were recognized. The poor performance was exactly what I was looking for which I eventually found in the Rivo card and it's x1 interface. Something on the range of 76% slower with all 4 drives reading vs single drives.

Just now, jbartlett said:

Could see it in the lspci list but none of the six drives I attached were recognized.

Strange, several users already using that one and the similar 10 port model.

Could anyone tell me what bandwidth you should expect per drive on a h310? Would it be 3gbps per drive?

21 minutes ago, Spies said:

Could anyone tell me what bandwidth you should expect per drive on a h310? Would it be 3gbps per drive?

The H310 is a PCIe 2.0 x8 card.  You can expect a max bandwidth of ~400 MB/s per lane.  That's plenty for any spinning disk.  You should not attach SSDs to it anyway as it does not support TRIM operations.

There are lots of tests and benchmarks that show that 3.2 GB/s is the real-world maximum for all lanes (accounting for overhead) despite the higher stated theoretical limit of 500 MB/s per lane.

I have an H310 in my server.

Edited by Hoopster

10 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

The H310 is a PCIe 2.0 x8 card.  You can expect a max bandwidth of ~400 MB/s per lane.  That's plenty for any spinning disk.  You should not attach SSDs to it anyway as it does not support TRIM operations.

There are lots of tests and benchmarks that show that 3.2 GB/s is the real-world maximum for all lanes (accounting for overhead) despite the higher stated theoretical limit of 500 MB/s per lane.

I have an H310 in my server.

Can I have Port A going from SFF-8087 to SATA and Port B going from sff 8087 to 8482 with no issues?

I have 4 SAS drives and 6 SATA drives currently which I need to move into my new server, current server has 6 onboard SATA but new one disables SATA 5 and 6 when an NVME drive is connected.

Edited by Spies

12 minutes ago, Spies said:

Can I have Port A going from SFF-8087 to SATA and Port B going from sff 8087 to 8482 with no issues?

I'm no expert in that as I have never tried it.  Both of my cables are SFF-8087 to SATA.  However, I don't see how the card would care about what is on the other end of the SFF-8087 connector be it a SATA or SAS drive.  

Perhaps someone who has tried a combination of drive connectors on this or any other card can chime in.

Perhaps the Dell H310 Data Sheet will be of assistance. It does say it can handle SATA and SAS drives.

Edited by Hoopster

9 hours ago, Spies said:

Yes, you can have SATA and SAS devices at the same time.