480 milion errors. But unraid says im using 301GB of space? is not everything lost?

Ruski
Go to solution Solved by Ruski,

Hello,

I have ran in to a bit of a problem to say the least. I have a unraid server with just a boot ssd and a 2tb hdd for storage, its not protected or anything. I rarely use it and i put some backup stuff on there.

After a month i scanned it and went to bed and woke up to 480 milion errors. Windows is not showing any files and krusader isn't showing any files in my storage folder. But unraid tells me in using 301GB of space on the drive? does this mean not everything is gone or am i too late

If u can help me it would be greatly appricated.

Friendly regarts,

Ruski

unknown2.jpg

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unraid doesn't boot from ssd.

My fault. USB as boot device and a Ssd as pool device

1 minute ago, Squid said:

The data drive dropped offline, then reconnected itself.  Reseat the cabling both ends to it.  How is it connected?

Its connected by a SATA DATA cable and SATA power. Do i reseat them both on the pc and the drive?

1 minute ago, trurl said:
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller [0104]: Intel Corporation SATA Controller [RAID mode] [8086:2822] (rev 05)

RAID controllers are not recommended

How can i turn those off? i didnt even know it used them or that i even had them. This server is just a old computer i reused

6 minutes ago, Ruski said:

I think i fixed it. (ill mark it as Solution when the check is ready but its taking a while)

I stopped the array.
Unassigned the drive.

Reassigned the drive.

Started the array.

So far 50% no errors

Your diagnostics showed no parity assigned and no disk assigned to disk1. Your first post implied you didn't have parity, so there is no way you can rebuild anything, which is what those steps you posted are designed to do.

Post new diagnostics and a screenshot of Main - Array Devices

• Solution
7 hours ago, trurl said:

Your diagnostics showed no parity assigned and no disk assigned to disk1. Your first post implied you didn't have parity, so there is no way you can rebuild anything, which is what those steps you posted are designed to do.

Post new diagnostics and a screenshot of Main - Array Devices

image.thumb.png.e4e209024fa724fb3b17d99cf6173902.png

The scan is complete and it has 0 errors now. and all the files are back.

What i did was shutdown the system, Reconnect the cables, Turn system back on. Then i ran a check it still had 488 milion errors.

Then in main i stopped the array. The devices list popped up i deselected WDC 2TB and scrolled down it said i cant start it cuz missing drive (makes sense) then on disk 1 i just reselected WDC 2TB. Started the array and checked 0 errors and the files now work

So i dont know how it fixed it but it did. diagnostics are in attachments

imkonas-diagnostics-20220204-0920.zip