"SimpleFeatures" Plugin - Version 1.0.11

Started troubleshooting the current mail client SF comes with for the time being. I will explain what I did to hopefully help others troubleshoot there configuration.

My smtp setup is an MS Exchange environment. I allow anonymous users to relay off the internal transport server but they must reside in a specific internal network range. This is for hardware devices that need to email alerts and cannot be configured with any credentials. If you try to specify credentials then they must be over TLS. So to make a long story short the socat OPENSSL dont work with exchange TLS on port 587, at least I could not (This is the message I always get: socat[15762] E SSL_connect(): error:140770FC:SSL routines:SS L23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol). So I needed up setting up "Use SSL" to NO, and left the "Username" and "Password" fields blank. So this is an example of an anonymous setup using plain SMTP port 25.

Now to help you guys troubleshoot your possible situation I recommend the following as speeding_ant takes your parameters you inputted into the GUI and runs them as followed.

Terminal into your unRAID server. Log in.

Option #1 (When SSL is not necessary nor credentials (anonymous)) Type at the console:

echo -e "test email" |bashmail --smtp %FQDN_of_smtpserver% --port 25 --from %email_address_you_want_displayed_email_is_coming_from% --rcpt %email_address_you_wish_to_have_receive_this_email%

Option #2 (When SSL is not necessary) Type at the console:

echo -e "test email" |bashmail --smtp %FQDN_of_smtpserver% --port 25 --from %email_address_you_want_displayed_email_is_coming_from% --user %Either_account@domain_OR_Domain\account% --pass %the_accounts_password% --rcpt %email_address_you_wish_to_have_receive_this_email%

Option #3 (When SSL is nessasary (u cannot establish a secure session without an account) Type at the console:

echo -e "test email" |socat exec:"bashmail  --from %email_address_you_want_displayed_email_is_coming_from% –user %Either_account@domain_OR_Domain\account% --pass %the_accounts_password% --rcpt %email_address_you_wish_to_have_receive_this_email%”,fdin=6,fdout=6 OPENSSL:”%FQDN_of_smtpserver%”:”%SMTP_SSL_Port%

This should help out to see what is failing (DNS resolution, Credentials, smtp ports, etc…). The reason I did not see anything in the syslog was the script lines end with “>/dev/null 2>&1” its what I think is suppressing all messages to troubleshoot in the syslog..

So now I have one more for speeding_ant, because I have no Parity drive I automatically receive an “Array fault” email Alert which is correct, but there are issues that need a bit of fixing.

1) For “Disk Temperature Status”in the email it moved the actual Disk1 up as if it was a Parity Drive, Disk2 moved up as Disk1 and so on.

2) All disk temps are being stated as “Not-Reported” they are not spun down (they are on SAS controllers)

3) For “Disk SMART Health Status” they are all being stated as “Not-Reported”

4) Its showing the disks are sequential 1-12, when they are not. The mdcmd log lower in the email clearly shows were the disks are.

Attaching a txt file of the email for review.

unRAID_Status_Array_Fault_Email.txt

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just pop right in here and rightly point out that I didn't code or create unraid_notify. I just implemented it as a part of my plugin. As my efforts were really just to get a decent looking gui, I am looking for people to create/modify the existing script.

Eventually, SimpleFeatures will just become a gui and framework with additional features like email/ups notifications just being individual packages. These will be maintained by people with far more programming prowess. This should be the way to go, but without a default package manager this can't happen just yet. I do have a day job too, so my casual package isn't going to turn into full time development.

I might start working on a design guideline, with some CSS / jquery resources to assist quick development. I've also got my code to convert config files to an HTML form, and back again.

Creating a plugin? It's very easy. PHP is able to execute shell commands, and relay the result. You create a menu .page file, and unRAID will create the menu for it. All you need is some way of editing a conf file via HTML (already done), setting a cron scheduler (easy, as you can edit files in PHP, and execute shell commands), and / or adding and checking that a package is being run on the go script.

Cheers, and I appreciate the feedback from all.

I received this error when I tried the 3rd option:

2011/06/25 16:14:38 socat[24916] E SSL_connect(): error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

Too lazy to troubleshoot today, hahah. But, I would like to install openssl (not just the libraries), and see about fetching the certificate from google and somehow referencing that for socat to use.

Its all good, no worries, I just posted for does who may have other situations or mail providers to be able to troubleshoot (not is the blind) and possible be able to see what there exact issue is and with that maybe able to make an adjustment to get it to work, like i did for my situation for the time being until the ssmpt addon can be added to SF. But the alert emails are not bring back correct drive #'s and no temps which is a different issue that needs to be tackled. You meantion you did not create that script, would you know who did or were you got it from?

Hi! I've done a few more CSS tweaks, like make the entire link in the menu bar clickable (thanks defected). Also gave the syslog modal a maximise button, which will close the modal and open a new window. Fixed some issues with the System Info modal, the More Info button still doesn't lead anywhere yet.

*EDIT*

See first page for new release.

Cheers!

Using IE8

The green (+) addition to the syslog is HOT, nicely done.

Menu bar (log, Info) are clickable in any area now as you stated.

CPU: in sys info is wrapping, dont know if that's what you were expecting, screenshot attached for your review. My other suggestions still stand. I sent you a pm or 2 to offer assistance were I can, not sure if they reached you. Thanks for this update.

SysInfo_1.png.2882cce2a09f4662a93aa563353a9150.png

How about adding "overflow:hidden" to that <div> in the System Info, so that the scroll bar disappears? Will definitely clean that up--at least when the System Info is displayed. What does the green + show? Syslog, as madburg stated? At that point, yes, a scrollbar would be necessary, but is that space appropriate for logs?

What does the green + show? Syslog, as madburg stated? At that point, yes, a scrollbar would be necessary, but is that space appropriate for logs?

Not sure what you mean, speeding_ant keep the same original view of the syslog he created, but added an addition (+) by clicking the (+) it closes that modal view and launches the syslog in a new browser window, just as Tom had, to be able to monitor the log while performing actions on the original browser page. My 2 Cents, well done.

try it u might like it LOL

How about adding "overflow:hidden" to that <div> in the System Info, so that the scroll bar disappears? Will definitely clean that up--at least when the System Info is displayed.

He knows better what he is writing/trying to achieve, but I agree no scroll bar would be nice and if possible (like I meantioned before) auto size the box, so no wrapping or scroll bar would be needed, would be cool. His "more info" may need to have a scroll bar once he is done depending on the amount of info he will be bringing back and the font size, I'm guessing.

I am not sure what browsers he is shooting to support but in some "overflow:hidden" does not always work.  It has been a while since I tested on a lot of browsers but I remember that being an issue at one point.

If he is shooting to support IE8 & 9, firefox 3.X & 4, Safari, Chrome, and Opera 11 then it should work just fine.  I think it was with older version of IE that the "overflow:hidden" did not work.

I don't remember, but in my own developments, I'm not supporting IE6 anymore.

It may sound arrogant, but screw anyone who still uses a 10 year old browser. They're open to a lot more problems than <div>s not being lined up correctly. IE7 isn't great, either, but is a little better than 6. Windows should force updating to at least IE8 now.

It may sound arrogant, but screw anyone who still uses a 10 year old browser. They're open to a lot more problems than <div>s not being lined up correctly. IE7 isn't great, either, but is a little better than 6. Windows should force updating to at least IE8 now.

Could not agree more.  I was on a team doing a re-write of a web app for a big company and they wanted support for IE6 and IE7.  IE7 was not to bad to add support for, but having to support IE6 added SO MUCH extra time to development it was not funny.  Every time I went into IE6 to test layout, flow, etc I wanted to throw my computer across the room and shoot myself.

I like to go by EOL when possible. Unfortunitly MS will support IE6 (SP whatever) on XP SP3 until April 2014 for their Extend Support paying customers ($$$$$) but if I am not mistaken it has ended for everyone else. Corporations which get stuck with an app or 2 from their great vendors will not work in a higher browser version and dev for an update is at a snails pace, this will be highly unlikely for any unRAID user. IE 6 was a pretty bad (being nice here) version. So its safe to say from a home/tech user using IE, if we can get things to work/look nice from IE7 on up that would be acceptable to most.

Cheers for the many comments already. Agree, green button looks better black. Not sure how to differentiate it though.

In regards to overflow, it works on all current browsers. I'll find a decent solution :)  Modals don't easily resize HTML to fit, so I'll do my best.

Madburg, what browser are you testing in? In my IE 8 test environment, testing shows the Server titles in the headers aligned right. I'm definitely not testing for support below IE 7. I use a lot of CSS3 to make things a little prettier. If you're not using a modern browser, you miss out essentially. No reason why not to use Firefox or Chromium. However, layout is very simple so it should display ok on most browsers.

Next beta will have the first part of SSMTP configurable.

Could not agree more.  I was on a team doing a re-write of a web app for a big company and they wanted support for IE6 and IE7.  IE7 was not to bad to add support for, but having to support IE6 added SO MUCH extra time to development it was not funny.  Every time I went into IE6 to test layout, flow, etc I wanted to throw my computer across the room and shoot myself.

:D  I know what you mean! I hate IE 6 with a vengeance, I literally stabbed through an LCD screen with frustration at it once. It owes me $$$.

Cheers for the many comments already. Agree, green button looks better black. Not sure how to differentiate it though.

The green (+) looks just fine to me otherwise you would end up with 2 black icons no? a (+) and a (X) and they would bleed no?

Madburg, what browser are you testing in? In my IE 8 test environment, testing shows the Server titles in the headers aligned right.

I am using IE8, I am not sure I follow you when you say "Server titles"? The unRAID server name, desc, and version are aligned right. But the graphic with "Server", "Description", "Version" with the horizontal green line is not aligned right, it is over to the left by the Lime-Tech logo. Is that what we are talking about...? My screenshots show it, and I though you already stated you were aware and looking into what can be done. Or you are referring to something altogether different, if so can you explain some more.

One thing that would be nice on the main page is a line showing the total free space...  I know you can go to the shares to see, but would be nice there also.

What do you think of a "Mini Stats" section on the main page? Would show just the array total size, like the top of the Stats page?

What do you think of a "Mini Stats" section on the main page? Would show just the array total size, like the top of the Stats page?

Was looking for a free space indicator, since I'm too lazy to add up the free space on all the disks :).

Anything else extra is cool too.

• Squid locked this topic