[6.9.2] Scheduled parity check found 320 errors. Should I be worried?

Hey everyone! Fairly new to unRAID and looking for some guidance. My scheduled parity check with correcting enabled found 320 errors. Not sure what kind of errors they are as my disks are all showing 0 errors in the main tab. I'm re-running a noncorrecting check now to validate. Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

deathstar-diagnostics-20220227-1625.zip

Edited by prymordial
  • prymordial changed the title to [6.9.2] Scheduled parity check found 320 errors. Should I be worried?
22 minutes ago, trurl said:

You have csum errors on cache. Have you done memtest? Bad RAM might also explain sync errors. You shouldn't even try to run a computer if the RAM isn't perfect.

I have not. Although, I  put 2 new kits of memory in the server about a month ago. I haven't noticed any issues with the server outside of the errors that the parity check called out recently.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Unclean shutdowns often cause a small number of sync errors.

Do you know why you had unclean shutdown?

Yes I do. I'm an idiot and cut the power to that section of the house and completely forgot about the server.

The second parity check finished this morning and is showing 549 errors now. I just did a clean shutdown to start the memtest.

Also, I believe I found what was causing the memory errors. I had done some OCing on my RAM while this mobo was still being used as my gaming rig. I thought I had applied the optimized defaults but I guess not. I reset those back to default, applied XMP and now running a memtest.

Will follow up with my findings in the next day or so. Thanks again!

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

XMP is an over clock.

I know and I should have clarified a bit more 😅

I had done some manual tuning to the timings and clock speeds on an older set of memory while I was still using those parts in my gaming PC. I then moved those parts over to my new server build. Mid-January (prior to the unclean shutdown), I bought two 32GB kits of memory to add to my server as a replacement to the old 16GB kit. I was in the bios, thought I had hit apply optimized defaults and shut down the server. I dropped in the new kits and thought everything was right as rain. Jumping into the bios again this morning, I discovered those manual timings were still being applied as if it were my previous set of memory. That's when I realized I didn't load the defaults when I replaces the memory, haha. I reset everything back to stock settings in the mobo, made the adjustments I needed (boot order, fan curve, etc) and applied the XMP profile to the current set of memory so that the all the timings were set to the specs that the kit is rated for. Hope that clarifies a bit more about the steps that I've taken to get to this point.

Right now, the memtest has been running for about 30min and showing as 16% passed with no errors. I plan on running this test for the 24 hours to validate that everything is ok with my memory.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Get an UPS

Way ahead of you. I bought a UPS the day that I cut the power like a fucking idiot😆 It's all set up to cleanly shut the server down. I don't remember what I set it to, but I do know that it's all configured and I'm able to monitor it from the web UI

Edited by prymordial
1 hour ago, prymordial said:

applied the XMP profile to the current set of memory so that the all the timings were set to the specs that the kit is rated for.

Many times the RAM is rated for a higher speed than the CPU / chipset is. You should verify that your motherboard / CPU is rated to run at those speeds for that combination of memory size and layout. The motherboard will happily try to run at whatever speeds you tell it, regardless of whether it's stable.

Usually it's the CPU that's the speed limiting factor, NOT the memory chips.

55 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Many times the RAM is rated for a higher speed than the CPU / chipset is. You should verify that your motherboard / CPU is rated to run at those speeds for that combination of memory size and layout. The motherboard will happily try to run at whatever speeds you tell it, regardless of whether it's stable.

Usually it's the CPU that's the speed limiting factor, NOT the memory chips.

This is looking more and more to be my issue as I have NEVER run my Ryzen 2700+Asus B450-F with 64GB and all 4 slots filled. After about 90min of memtest, I started getting tons of errors. I stopped the test, dropped the speed to 'Auto' which runs at 2666Mhz. New memtest has been running about 90min now and 0 errors. Fingers crossed I'm on the right path! Thanks again everyone for the help and letting me think out loud :)

Here's where I'm at with this so far - I corrected my memory speed to match 1866 per the link that JorgeB provided. I set the "Power Supply Idle Control" to "Typical Current Idle." Once I set the memory to 1866, I let memtest bake in for another 12 hours and returned 0 errors (I only ran this second round of testing because at 2666 I had no reported errors). Server is back up and found 154 errors with a non-correcting check and now running a correcting check. I've been monitoring the logs as well for any additional csum errors which I have not seen any. I plan to run another non-correcting check this evening to validate that the errors have been resolved.

Thanks again for everyone's help! :)

Sorry for the delay y'all but here is where I landed. My latest parity check has reported 0 errors after fixing them. I reduced my memory speed down to 1866 per the link above. Additionally, I believe I found what was causing the csum errors on my cache drive - a corrupted file. I deleted the file from the cache drive and have yet to see any further errors of this nature. I think my server is finally in a good, stable state.