LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Hello, I am new here, no practice with flashing. I will appreciate very much for help.

I installed Dell Perc H310 on the Asus P5-W-64-WS-Pro motherboard, and installed driver on Win-7/64 (Windows boots from HDD, attached to one of SATA mainboard interfaces). And used the H310 as a simple SATA controller, no RAID. Yesterday something made me tempted and I run flashing of my Dell Perc H310 using something I found on Internet: MERGED_20.10.1-0119_SAS_2008_FIRMWARE_Image_APP-2.130.364-1847.zip

During reboot I saw typical message, generated by the H310, but...the end of message was like: no response, controller not present. Not possible to get inside the H310 config using Ctrl-R. Windows boots OK,but H310 disappeare.

Question: how to fix my H310 ?

I will appreciate very much any hint.

:) :) :)

Yesterday I was able to flash the controller from DOS, all steps result: successfull!

My old nice almost forgoten DOS dejavu ...

The method You point out, is described very clearly, good job, I had no problems.

Win-7/64 Device Manager shows that it is a 6 Gbps SAS HBA.

Not necessary to install driver after new installation of Win 7/64.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,

a

P.S. The only "problem": SAS Address have not been in the ADAPTERS.TXT file, and on a sticker on the controller card I found a strange sequence of characters, strange because of G and H characters, so I used  SAS address from your example: 500605b001f31fa0.

Andrzej, good to hear that it worked for you.

You probably lost your SAS address when you flashed the first time.

Be careful with the Windows driver!

If you use big drives (>2,2 TB) make sure to test that you can use the full capacity.

There is a bug in some drivers that come with Windows that will result in data loss once you

write above 2,2TB!

You can try by filling up the drive or use HDSentinel that will warn you if there is a addressing

problem with your SATA driver.

Just a quick question. I just got my PERC H310 yesterday and flashed it following the instructions.

I got as far as flashing the DELL IT with both the LSI P7 and LSI P16 failing to flash. Is using the DELL IT fine for unRAID or do I have to find some way to flash LSI P16?

Thanks Fireball3 and everyone else in advance.

Hi,

newbie here, I just want to share my result/steps on flashing my card( LSI SAS 9211-8i) to IT mode with you all.

H/W:

motherboard: X9SCM-iiF version 2.0a build date 9/17/2012

cpu:  xeon E3-1230v2

card: LSI SAS 9211-8I

usb thumbdrive : kingston DTSE9, 16GB

Steps taken:

0. create usb dos boot drive, using the hpflash utility and win98boot.zip(for boot image)(link  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html)

1. copy contents of SAS2008.zip(from http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29059-sas2008-lsi92409211-firmware-files/) to the usb drive 

2. download the latest bin and rom(P17 from LSI) and copy them into the usb drive

3. boot from the USB drive

4.  Run following at the prompt

Megarec -cleanflash 0

5.  Reboot

6.  Attempted to run the "sas2flsh -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom", but got the following:

"ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program."

7. Read the following reference(http://brycv.com/blog/2012/flashing-it-firmware-to-lsi-sas9211-8i/), download the efi version of flash utility from LSI, copy the efi utility into the usb drive

8. Reboot to UEFI shell

9. run 'map' to find out the device mapping for the USB

in my case, it is 'fs0'

10. Mount the usb as follows:

mount fs0:

11. Change current directory to the usb drive:

fs0:         

12. List the files in the usb:

ls

13. run the following:

sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

14. I then ran

sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address,500605b********* is the code on the green sticker on the card without the "-")

15. run the following command and  confirm the "firmware product id" for IT mode : 0x2213(IT)

sas2flash.efi -list

Note that  I did not run the  "sas2flash.efi -o -e 6"  command(before step 13), which apparently would set for 6Gb/s access.  Shutdown the machine.  Connect a Segate ST1000DM003 to the card.  Reboot, hit CTRL-C to get into the LSI Config Utility v7.33.00.00 (2013.07.18).  The Negotiated Link speed and Maximum link speed are shown as 6 Gbps(under SAS Topology section).

The only odd thing I noticed so far is that when I do the "sas2flash.efi -list" command above, the value for "board assembly" and "board tracer number" is "N/A".    I did not run the 'list' command before flashing the card, so I do not know what values these parameters should hold.    Should I worry?  If you know the answer, please post.

Cheers,

Hi,

newbie here, I just want to share my result/steps on flashing my card( LSI SAS 9211-8i) to IT mode with you all.

H/W:

motherboard: X9SCM-iiF version 2.0a build date 9/17/2012

cpu:  xeon E3-1230v2

card: LSI SAS 9211-8I

usb thumbdrive : kingston DTSE9, 16GB

Steps taken:

0. create usb dos boot drive, using the hpflash utility and win98boot.zip(for boot image)(link  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html)

1. copy contents of SAS2008.zip(from http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29059-sas2008-lsi92409211-firmware-files/) to the usb drive 

2. download the latest bin and rom(P17 from LSI) and copy them into the usb drive

3. boot from the USB drive

4.  Run following at the prompt

Megarec -cleanflash 0

5.  Reboot

[...]

..if this is a "real" 9211-8i HBA already, IMHO there is no need to cross-flash and no reason of using the Megarec-utility hence.

You should be able to switch between IT and IR firmware by using the sas2flash utility alone.

..if this is a "real" 9211-8i HBA already, IMHO there is no need to cross-flash and no reason of using the Megarec-utility hence.

You should be able to switch between IT and IR firmware by using the sas2flash utility alone.

Thanks for the advice -- as indicated in my post, I am a newbie :-[. I got my card off ebay for $130 USD.  The card came in a retail box with LSI logo, artworks and etc.  The box contains one sheet of paper describing how to exchange the mounting bracket and the rest of the doc(well other sheet of paper) is written in chinese:)(with a copyright time stamp of 2009-2010).  So, for all I know, the card looks to be legit:).  How does one tell if the card is a legit 9211-8i?

Thanks again for your reply.  I will try your suggestion when it is time to update the firmware.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice -- as indicated in my post, I am a newbie :-[. I got my card off ebay for $130 USD.  The card came in a retail box with LSI logo, artworks and etc.  The box contains one sheet of paper describing how to exchange the mounting bracket and the rest of the doc(well other sheet of paper) is written in chinese:)(with a copyright time stamp of 2009-2010).  So, for all I know, the card looks to be legit:).  How does one tell if the card is a legit 9211-8i?

...simplest way of finding out about the "nature" of the card is to plug in into a slot and make it POST.

Try to enter the BIOS of the card (usually CTRL-C upon prompted to do so) and see what FW is on it.

If it is a HBA it should run an IT or IR FW...if it is a MegaRAID "non-HBA" card, it will run a MegaRAID FW (in which case you'll need to cross-flash).

Just a quick question. I just got my PERC H310 yesterday and flashed it following the instructions.

I got as far as flashing the DELL IT with both the LSI P7 and LSI P16 failing to flash. Is using the DELL IT fine for unRAID or do I have to find some way to flash LSI P16?

Did you have any doubts/difficulties in understanding the instructions?

Can you give some more details on the fault when flashing P7?

Did you try once more - from scratch?

ok so im of the if it aint broke don't fix it brigade, but wondered if there is anything significant i should be worried about in P16 and P17 LSI firmware versions, as my M1015 IBM MegaRaid cards are currently cross flashed to P15 and working happily.

so has anybody found any issues with P15?

Did you have any doubts/difficulties in understanding the instructions?

Can you give some more details on the fault when flashing P7?

Did you try once more - from scratch?

Sorry for not responding earlier. Just to follow up, unRaid seems to work fine using the DELL IT firmware.

When I tried to flash P7 or P16, I get the same error message as SB had on page 42 of this thread.

I've performed a few Parity checks and no problems were reported. All my 3TB HDs were detected and speeds are as expected. HDs all spin down as it should. UnRaid syslog reports it as a DELL HBA 6gb/s.

I should do a preclear just to be safe, but I've been using it for the last few days and nothing bad has happened yet.

Thanks FB3 for the help and the scripts.

Good to know that unRAID also works with the Dell IT firmware.

(Dell probably uses the LSI core and just adds the branding)

Can you please provide a link to the mentioned post?

I changed the default setting of displayed messages in the forum

so this thread has only 11 pages on my side.

I wonder why some controllers flash with no problems and others don't...

Can you please provide a link to the mentioned post?

I changed the default setting of displayed messages in the forum

so this thread has only 11 pages on my side.

Here's the link to the error I get when I try to flash P7, its post number 617.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg267337#msg267337

Just a last piece of info, I bought the Perc H310 to use in ESXi 5.1 in pass through to unRAID VM. Not sure if that info is relevant or not as to why it works for me in unRaid. I used an AMD Sempron CPU to flash the H310. All my other PCs/ESXi machine gets the Failed to initialize PAL error. Oddly all my machines can boot without the electrical tape work around. I have no idea on how or why it works. I just use the scripts created by you and others.

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, you can probably unbrick your D2607 by using a motherboard that allows the disabling of loading option rom at the boot process for the PCIe slot the card is connected to.

Bringing back this topic.

I got the parts together to run a Supermicro X7SBA serverboard that supports disabling of option rom.

Unfortunately this won't stop the D2607 to kick in and block the POST.

My next experiment will be something like this.

Hot swapping the controller  8) .

I was ready to do it but the X7SBA won't boot with a fully functional Perc H310!???:o

I get a repeating long beep like "memory fail"... opened a ticket with Supermicro support.

First I have to solve this issue because I don't have a functional D2607.

Then I will boot with the H310 and hot swap against the D2607.

Hello

At the moment I have a 9690SA-8i. But this controller is quite old ;-)

So i have one Question.

Is it possible to "unlock/flash" a Fujitsu D2607-A21 GS 1 Raid Controller?. I found out that it should be a SAS MEGARAID LSI 2008 Controller?. I can get the DS2607-A21 for about 70$. The D2607-A21 only supports at the moment Raid 0 and Raid  1.

http://www.fujitsu-ersatzteile.de/it-pi-n-SAS_MEGARAID_LSI_2008_S26361_D2607_A21_1_R791_-pId-276033200201408036.html

Christopher

Just registerd to this website so I can say Thanks for all teh discussion. I was lurking and trying a bunch of ways to flash my LSI 9211-8i.

I had many issues flashing the 9211-8i card. Used a bunch of websites.

Final solution was to move to a PCI 2.0 slot and the sas2flash utility started working.

For Flashing the LSI 9211-8i from IT to IR firmware.

Tried a Rufus built FreeDos with the SAS2flash apps (3 of them).  - No go.

Tried a MSDOS boot disk - No adapters present

Tried the Ultimate Boot CD - UEFI Loader - No Adapters present

Moved card to another PC,  tried in Windows - Error about not being able to erase memory, even as Admin.

Back to fist PC,  created another UEFI disk - Received error - ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program

Happened to read on TweakTown link below

Had this weird feeling to change the card to another port. I was originally in the PCIe 3.0 x16 port,  changed to a PCIe 2.0 x8 port and voila!  The card showed up at POST, loaded up the shell and ran the sas2flash.efi and was able to flash the card from IR to IT mode.

Usefull Links

http://blog.monsted.dk/?q=node/5

http://www.rootedconsulting.com/2013/05/20/lsi-it-and-ir-firmware-update/

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/52097-z77-extreme4-how-boot-efi-shell.html

Thanks for sharing eeze!

@Kampfwurst

You should be able to flash the D2607 with this instruction.

Make sure you fully understand the procedure.

You have to deviate from the H310 instruction as stated by reddi.

Get the H200 sbr from here.

Then make sure you replace the empty.sbr with this one. (either rename it to empty.sbr or modify the batch file)

Feedback would be nice!

Edit:

If your current controller (9690SA-8i) is still working, just keep using it. It's a good card.

You have to decide what you want to do with that controller!

In this thread we are mainly discussing about how we can get controllers to work with

unRAID.

So in our case we want the controllers to "just" pass through the drives to the unRAID OS

without RAID features. unRAID will provide the RAID-like features.

In fact, we need a HBA (host bus adapter) and not a RAID controller for this task.

But we are lucky that we can buy certain RAID controllers and flash them with IT (initiator target) firmware so that they work just like HBA's.

If you want to set up a RAID5 you cannot run unRAID like it is supposed to.

Check the specs of the card you want to buy if it supports RAID5 out of the box.

Most will do unless it's a real HBA.

With a limited budget you should be patient and frequently check on ebay for a good

shot. I managed to get my 4 H310 cards for 30-40€ each.