LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Yaaaaaaay!

Got it working in Native M1015 mode as a RAID0 array under ESXI 5.1 U1.

Basically it was my bios settings screwing with me.

I had to enable the  CSM compatibility settings to allow for the following:

Set Storage controller to Legacy OpROM for going into the WebBIOS to configure your RAID array

Set Storage controller to UEFI First for normal operation when booting into ESXI 5.1 U1. This setting will prevent ESXI from hanging at the megaraid_sas point at load time.

For the record my mobo is a Asus P9X79 WS with latest BIOS at time of writing (3401)

Also applied the latest ESXI Megaraid driver. Downloaded it from lsi.com. This should be optional, only the above BIOS settings are important.

I will do a proper write up with pics and post the URL.

loiphin :)

UPDATE: Here is my post about what I did:    http://www.loiph.in/2013/05/getting-ibm-m1015-raid-controller-to.html

Registered to provide the answer.

megacli -AdpAllInfo -aAll

Got my 2 H310's flashed.  Is it normal to have the bios say Adapters disabled by user?

Lastly, add the SAS Address back to teh card:

sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx

That's it.  I now have an H310 that I can passthrough in ESXi.  :)

John

Hi John

Where did you find the SAS addy for the H310? The other cards have a sticker but the H310 does not? don't want to wipe the card until I have the address..

Thanks

Mondo

When you cold boot your server at the LSi post can't you hit CTRL-C and does it enter the LSI configuration or does it bypass and just boot your server?

Just bypass.  I tried CTRL-C and it didn't go into any menu like when it was with the Dell BIOS.  Did I miss a step or was this intentional by other posters for faster boot?

Thanks.

Ok, try the following, power off the server , remove ALL USB sticks from server. Cold boot, and hit CTRL-C at LSI post. Post your results.

Removing the USB boot drive allowed it to go into the SAS config.  Status is disabled, Boot Support [Enabled OS Only].

I currently don't have any drive connected.  Just ordered my sas/sata cable.

Right so this is an issue many have. In order to setup one OR more cards, one must be able to enter the bios configuration of the SAS controller (on many MBs it will not enter the sas config if you have USB sticks connected, when you hit CTRL+C it states entering configuration but it will not).

One cards bios, controls all the cards global config. If you go in the global config, I believe it ALT+N (it will state on the bottom of the screen what the key strokes are) this is where you enable/disable cards and wach cards boot order (0 = first card). varies statement have been made on this; I can tell you my version, at least one card should be enabled, all cards should have their bios and FW flashed. Then it's up to you to configure if you want it to initialize the drives and enable the ports. Some feel its a long process and prefer unRaid does it. I don't agree and too lengthy to explain right now. I will update the OP one day, as I have new scripts to make the process fast/easier and UEFI support and P16 firmware packaged just haven't posted yet. Have been test all sorts of stuff and it stability.

You can then enter each cards config and setup drive spinup delays, timeouts, etc. and if one or more are in IR mode, then raid volumes. As an example my first card is in IT mode and have a RAID 10 volume for my ESXi datastore. My other 4 port card with an expander hanging off it (taking up 2 ports off the LSI card) for a total of 24 drives to unRAID.

Thanks -will give that a go Monday

Got my 2 H310's flashed.  Is it normal to have the bios say Adapters disabled by user?

That's it.  I now have an H310 that I can passthrough in ESXi.  :)

John

Hi John

Where did you find the SAS addy for the H310? The other cards have a sticker but the H310 does not? don't want to wipe the card until I have the address..

Thanks

Mondo

Ok did that but the SAS addy I get back does not follow the format that everyone else's seems to. Instead it starts with 590b11cxxxxxxxxx (Dell Perc H310)

Just checking that is OK before I go any further?

Thanks

John

I followed the instruction listed on post, but have hit a roadblock...Sure its something simple, but I'm lost.

Equipment: LSI 9212 4i4e card

Trying to flash on Win 7 32 bit using 2008 chipset(either P10 or P11). Then card is present under Device manager (listed as LSI adapter, SAS2008 Falcon-Storport) with up to date driver.  However when runnning List Sdapter under then Flash utility I get "no LSI adapter found"

Any ideas??

Thanks

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I've running dual br10i (flashed to IT mode, BIOS 6.36.00.00) the machine started playing up a little today and post reboot I'm seeing;

Unable to load LSI Logic Corp. MPT BIOS

MPT BIOS Fault 10h encountered at adapter PCI(01h,00h,00h)

any tips, loaded up SAS Flash with that as the only card in the system and; No LSI SAS adapters found

any tips?

I am trying to get 2 cards working in my system.  Mobo (biostar tz77xe3) will only detect one and only if I put it in the top PCI-E slot.  I know both cards are good because I tested them in the top slot and both can get to SAS bios.

Green blinking light is on regardless of slot, it just doesn't show up in bios boot or only 1 shows up in SAS config util.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

LSI SAS2004 chipset

1) LSI SAS9211-4i

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS2004 chipset with the provided zip.

FW: 10.00.02.00 / BIOS: 7.19.00.00 / 15-JUN-11 (LSI P10)

Both IT/IR mode available.

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P10).zip - 2.32 MB (Windows)

After you expand the zip file, please read the file "__ReadMeFirst.txt" before doing anything!

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P10)Linux.zip - 3.16 MB (unRAID)

FW: 11.00.00.00 / BIOS: 7.21.00.00 / 22-AUG-11 (LSI P11)

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P11).rar - 1.94 MB (Windows)

After you expand the zip file, please read the file "__ReadMeFirst.txt" before doing anything!

LSI SAS2004 Controllers(P11)Linux.rar - 2.88 MB (unRAID)

Linux Driver: MPT2SAS - supports the LSI SAS2004, SAS2008, SAS2108, SAS2116, SAS2208, and SAS2308 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0Beta6a

Drive Spin Down Support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

*** Note: Multiple controllers all post under one MPT2SAS Bios, there are global setting that affect all controllers and individual settings per controller available ***

LSI SAS2008 chipset

1) LSI SAS9211-8i

2) SuperMicro X8SI6-F with onboard SAS2008 controller

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P10).zip - 2.59 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P10)Linux.zip - 3.43 MB (unRAID)

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P11).rar - 2.21 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2008 Controllers(P11)Linux.rar - 3.16 MB (unRAID)

Linux Driver: MPT2SAS - supports the LSI SAS2004, SAS2008, SAS2108, SAS2116, SAS2208, and SAS2308 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0Beta6a

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

*** Note: Multiple controllers all post under one MPT2SAS Bios, there are global setting that affect all controllers and individual settings per controller available ***

*** Note: If combined with any other MPT2SAS Controller/s (ex. (1) LSI SAS2116 and (1) LSI SAS2008 they post under one MPT2SAS BIOs ***

LSI SAS2116 chipset

1) LSI SAS9201-16i

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS2116 chipset with the provided zip.

Only IT mode available.

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P10).zip - 2.28 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P10)Linux.zip - 3.12 MB (unRAID)

Only IT mode available.

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P11).rar - 1.97 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS2116 Controllers(P11)Linux.rar - 2.91 MB (unRAID)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0beta6a

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB support)

*** Note: If combined with any other MPT2SAS Controller/s (ex. (1) LSI SAS9201-16i and (1) LSI SAS9211-8i they post under one MPT2SAS BIOs ***

LSI SAS2 Series Flash via ESXi 5.0

Package includes ALL files to flash via ESX 5.0:

1) LSI SAS2004

1) LSI SAS2008

1) LSI SAS2116

LSI P10

LSI SAS2series Controllers(P10)ESX5.rar - 2.61 MB (ESXi5.0)

LSI P11

LSI SAS2series Controllers(P11)ESX5.rar - 2.4 MB (ESXi5.0)

After you expand the zipped file, please read the file "_ReadMeFirst.txt" before doing anything!

Note: Not for beginners

Hello.

I have the following two cards, and would like to start using unRAID;

- Intel® RAID Controller RS25DB080 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid/raid-controller-rs25db080.html?wapkw=intel+raid+controller+rs25db080)

- Intel® RAID Expander Card RES2SV240 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid/raid-controller-res2sv240.html?wapkw=intel+raid+expander+res2sv240+)

Would any of the quoted firmwares be the best way to go? Or can you professionals recommend any other ways? My card has LSI SAS2208 ROC.

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

I have the following two cards, and would like to start using unRAID;

- Intel® RAID Controller RS25DB080 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid/raid-controller-rs25db080.html?wapkw=intel+raid+controller+rs25db080)

- Intel® RAID Expander Card RES2SV240 (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid/raid-controller-res2sv240.html?wapkw=intel+raid+expander+res2sv240+)

Would any of the quoted firmwares be the best way to go? Or can you professionals recommend any other ways? My card has LSI SAS2208 ROC.

Thanks in advance.

I cannot comment on the SAS card but your expander has got a firmware too...see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25412.msg221179#msg221179

• 2 weeks later...