LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

need the UEFI version of sas2flash for my X9SCM-F-O

sas2flash.efi is no longer in "Installer_P12_for_UEFI.zip"

it was forcibly removed out of the zip file by LSI's own Microsoft Forefront Protection installation:

----------------

FILE QUARANTINED

Microsoft Forefront Protection for SharePoint removed a file since it was found to be infected.

File name: "Installer_P12_for_UEFI.zip->sas2flash.efi"

Malware name: "Suspicious!SA"

----------------

anyone have a copy of sas2flash.efi they can share?

Finally found sas2flash.efi by digging through all of LSI's downloads.

As of current time, the file still exists in:

Installer_P13_for_UEFI.zip

Installer_P10_for_UEFI.zip

via this search: http://www.lsi.com/Search/Pages/downloads.aspx?k=sas2flash.efi

Installers numbered P8, P9, P11, and P12 have the text file with the quarantine message in place of the .efi file.  No good!

Anyway, in case the sas2flash.efi file is removed again in the near future, I've made a copy available here:  http://www.mediafire.com/?z66is5rrdui6rc3

• 3 weeks later...

need the UEFI version of sas2flash for my X9SCM-F-O

sas2flash.efi is no longer in "Installer_P12_for_UEFI.zip"

it was forcibly removed out of the zip file by LSI's own Microsoft Forefront Protection installation:

----------------

FILE QUARANTINED

Microsoft Forefront Protection for SharePoint removed a file since it was found to be infected.

File name: "Installer_P12_for_UEFI.zip->sas2flash.efi"

Malware name: "Suspicious!SA"

----------------

anyone have a copy of sas2flash.efi they can share?

Could you give me the exact procedure how to flash a M1015 on a X9SCM? Incl. BIOS and motherboard settings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Please help - I have HP xw9400 Workstation with onboard LSI 1068E(B1) SAS IR controller (connected as PCIe x8).

Trying to flash it to IT mode, but so far all I get is Error: Can't flash 2MB firmware into 1MB flash

Where can I get right firmware?

It is strange as the IR firmware is always larger than the IT firmware:

Anyway the link is here - http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/Host%20Bus%20Adapters/Host%20Bus%20Adapters%20Common%20Files/SAS_SATA_3G_P21/SAS3081ER_%20Package_P21_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

As you have B1 chip you must use 3081ETB1.fw

• 2 weeks later...

Hello madburg,

Thanks for helping out by producing the zip files. 

I have a Dell S300 card with LSI 1068E B3 chip.  I tried the appropriate zip package (P21) both in DOS and Win7 x64, and both times I got a 'card not detected' error.  The card does work and has been working great, except that there is no Spin-Down, which is what I am after. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

madburg,

I'm trying to figure out if your  "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)" is an appropriate flash software to reflash my current M1015 to IT mode ?

Just bought an IBM M1015 (Megaraid SAS9240-8i), and ran the ".1.bat" (MegaCli.exe) files (from the P10 above on a floppy diskette) to query my new card for the following details:

Versions

================

Product Name    : ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller

Serial No      :

FW Package Build: 20.10.1-0107

Mfg. Data

================

Mfg. Date      : 05/04/12

Rework Date    : 00/00/00

Revision No    : 02F

Battery FRU    : N/A

Image Versions in Flash:

================

BIOS Version      : 4.30.00_4.12.05.00_0x05160000

Preboot CLI Version: 03.02-020:#%00009

WebBIOS Version    : 4.0-57-e_46-Rel

NVDATA Version    : 3.09.03-0037

FW Version        : 2.130.354-1664

Boot Block Version : 2.02.00.00-0001

Noticed the P11 version is rar file and not a zip file and I think LSI is up to version 14 or 15.  So I'm just not sure what is the right flash version to use.

madburg,

Thanks for your excellent info on how to flash these HBAs, a really useful guide.

OK, so I have successfully flashed the M1015 from an old ASUS A8N motherboard with usb-boot to the P10 version of the LSI firmware (no BIOS).

Now I just need to install it into my Asrock Pro 4 M (Ivy i5-3550) running ESXi 5.1 and get the M1015 setup in passthru.

Is there any benefit to updating the firmware to a later version ?

What update method, software, and which of my 2 motherboards should I use ?

BIG PROBLEM

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy.

I followed all of the instructions in the readme file and flashed the P11 firmware, everything went through very smoothly.

I finally booted the machine, the LSI thing comes up, and right when WHS is supposed to boot the monitor just switches to no signal! And nothing is happening! Computer won't boot!

I can't even get into the BIOS SETUP!

I get to the message "Press ctrl+C" to enter LSI config utility or something and then the screen goes blank and won't even boot into BIOS!

Also, the green light on the actual card is blinking green and I could enter the control utility by pressing ctrl+c. I went in and disabled boot support, but it still won't POST

I flashed using LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip

Just curious, did anyone manage to successfully flash a Dell Perc S300 controller to the LSI SAS1068E firmware?

I tried flashing mine with both the firmware packages provided by madburg in the topic kickoff:

- FW:1.32.00.00, BIOS 6.34.00.00 / 20-DEC-10 (LSI P20)

- FW:1.33.00.00, BIOS 6.36.00.00 / 22-AUG-11 (LSI P21)

But no cigar so far, the card is not detected by the batch file.  :-\

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

BIG PROBLEM

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy.

I followed all of the instructions in the readme file and flashed the P11 firmware, everything went through very smoothly.

I finally booted the machine, the LSI thing comes up, and right when WHS is supposed to boot the monitor just switches to no signal! And nothing is happening! Computer won't boot!

I can't even get into the BIOS SETUP!

I get to the message "Press ctrl+C" to enter LSI config utility or something and then the screen goes blank and won't even boot into BIOS!

Also, the green light on the actual card is blinking green and I could enter the control utility by pressing ctrl+c. I went in and disabled boot support, but it still won't POST

I flashed using LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip

I had the same problem in my p35 board.

What i did was redo the entire process but on step 5 not flash the bios only the firmware.

i.e

instead of

sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom

do

sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118ir.bin

this will cause your controller no to display anything at boot time but still work as a controller in unraid (also boots faster this way).

I think I bricked my Controller card. LSI C1068E

I ran the IT version of the firmware. It installed successfully.

However the batch file hung on "restarting card"

Windows now still see's the card but insists its no longer working properly with a "!" next to it. The card no longer shows up on POST as well..

Yikes! any possible way to revive this card?

I can't re-run the batch or restore from backup since Windows is now confused.

(as is the controller card)

HELP! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Madburg,

Thanks for all your help. I was able to do as you suggested but UNRaid / Linux does not see the controller card either.

Therefor the Windows Scripts and Linux Scripts do not work.

I talked to SuperMicro Support as the contoller is built into their motherboard.

They told me I am out of luck and need to send the MOBO in for "REPAIR".

They said there is NO way to re-flash the SAS bios since it is not showing up in P.O.S.T. or BIOS.

The Motherboard does not even detect the onboard LSI C1068E.

They also suggested if I do not want to send in the MOBO for repair to buy an expensive external SAS card.

Any OTHER ideas or brute force (besides smashing the MOBO) ideas to reflash the controller?

thanks!

I got a M1015 off of feebay and flashed it on my asus pb5-vm do motherboard using the p11 f/w dos method under 5 rc8a. It is installed in the video card slot. I have it up and running a parity in my 15 disc unraid. I have a few questions though.

1: I'm only getting 74 mb's in the parity check. I thought it would do around 120mb's. my data drives are all 1tb wd eacs the parity is a wd 1.5tb faex

2: I have looked in my main to do this "In myMain, you can add the custom drive attribute "smartopt" and set it to "-A" on each drive connected to the controller." But I don't see where this is done. Can someone give this simpleton a step by step on how you do this so I can get my temps to show correctly.

3: With my 2 old slow promise controllers I did not have syslog errors but with the M1015 I get these errors,

Dec  7 17:35:38 Tower kernel: ata8.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x700100 action 0x6 (Errors)

Dec  7 17:35:38 Tower kernel: ata8: SError: { UnrecovData Dispar BadCRC Handshk } (Errors)

Dec  7 17:35:38 Tower kernel:          res 50/00:00:26:f4:8e/00:00:01:00:00/e0 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error) (Errors)

Dec  7 17:42:09 Tower kernel: ata8.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x700100 action 0x6 (Errors)

Dec  7 17:42:09 Tower kernel: ata8: SError: { UnrecovData Dispar BadCRC Handshk } (Errors)

Dec  7 17:42:09 Tower kernel:          res 50/00:00:26:c8:e5/00:00:04:00:00/e0 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error) (Errors)

Dec  7 17:48:49 Tower kernel: ata8.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x700100 action 0x6 (Errors)

Dec  7 17:48:49 Tower kernel: ata8: SError: { UnrecovData Dispar BadCRC Handshk } (Errors)

Dec  7 17:48:49 Tower kernel:          res 50/00:00:26:f4:50/00:00:08:00:00/e0 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error) (Errors)

Dec  7 17:50:27 Tower kernel: ata8.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x700100 action 0x6 (Errors)

Dec  7 17:50:27 Tower kernel: ata8: SError: { UnrecovData Dispar BadCRC Handshk } (Errors)

Dec  7 17:50:27 Tower kernel:          res 50/00:00:26:b4:26/00:00:09:00:00/e0 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error) (Errors)

Dec  7 17:50:34 Tower kernel: ata8.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x700100 action 0x6 (Errors)

Dec  7 17:50:34 Tower kernel: ata8: SError: { UnrecovData Dispar BadCRC Handshk } (Errors)

Dec  7 17:50:34 Tower kernel:          res 50/00:00:26:10:34/00:00:09:00:00/e0 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error) (Errors)

Can anyone help with these issues? My unraid has served me well since 2008. I just want to be sure it is running as well as it can with the upgraded controller.

Thanks in advance