LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

What versions of unraid is everyone using that works with flashed lsi firmware?

I got the flash part of this thread. But there's so many variations I'm a little confused on the right version of unraid to use.

What version of unraid is optimal to run and with which lsi fw version?

Thanks.

What versions of unraid is everyone using that works with flashed lsi firmware?

I got the flash part of this thread. But there's so many variations I'm a little confused on the right version of unraid to use.

What version of unraid is optimal to run and with which lsi fw version?

Thanks.

I use 5.0b12a. The m1015 was flased with madburgs files

Thanks pro stuff.

Is there anything special about down grading from r14 to r12?

Im running 3 m1015's flashed with p13 (p14 was released after I flashed them).

I am running on 5.0Beta12.

I can confirm from experiance  that betas 13 & 14 do not work with LSI cards.

Thanks pro stuff.

thank you sir.....

what isn't working other then spin down?

Thanks pro stuff.

Spin down/Spin up causes nearly all the drives to RED-ball, drop out of the array, and generate thousands of false read-errors. This throws your entire array into one big cluster-fuck. It's not a good thing to happen for the sake of your data.

Hi, hopefully some experienced people here can help a noob out ... 

Am building a new NAS server for home, where usage will be mainly laptop backups and media streaming storage. I like the ZFS concept so had intended to use RAIDz, but in any case RAID5 or equivalent under some system.

Have MB = Asus E35M1-I, with 1x PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot [wired for 4 lanes electrically] into which I want to plug a card to support 8x SATA2 HDD and am trying to decide between IBM BR10i and M1015, which are both readily available as new system-pulls on EBay for about the same money.

Critical for my intended application is that the HDDs can spindown after XX [programmable] minutes of inactivity so the machine can go to silent standby.

Q1: Will either of those cards in IT-mode support this function?

Q2: How would this be implemented in practice, respectively?

Q3: Due to my having only 4 PCI-e lanes to connect to, would the M1015 be any faster/better than the other if I stay with SATA2 drives of max. 2TB?

Q4: Which OS or system is advisable for someone with modest Linux skills to administer?

LSI SAS1068E chipset

1) LSI SAS 3081-R

2) IBM BR10i

3) Intel SASUC8I

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI SAS1068E chipset with the provided zip

FW:1.32.00.00, BIOS 6.34.00.00 / 20-DEC-10 (LSI P20)

Both IT/IR mode available

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P20).zip - 3.8 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P20)Linux.zip - 4.5 MB (unRAID)

FW:1.33.00.00, BIOS 6.36.00.00 / 22-AUG-11 (LSI P21)

Both IT/IR mode available

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P21).rar - 1.46 MB (Windows)

LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P21)Linux.rar - 2.02 MB (unRAID)

Linux Driver: MPTSAS - supports the LSI SAS1064, SAS1064A, SAS1064E, SAS1066, SAS1068, SAS1068E, and SAS1078 chipsets. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Added as of 5.0Beta6a

Drive Spin Down Support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: Will only offer 2.2TB out of 3TB (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

*** Note: Multiple controllers all post under one MPTSAS Bios, there are global setting that affect all controllers and individual settings per controller available ***

Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a Supermicro H8DA3-2 with an integrated LSI 1068E controller.

The supermicro support states that the only firmware available (and supported) for this controller are SR and IT.

Given the fact that my firmware is quite old (1.20.00.00-IT), can I flash my controller with the posted IR firmware to have IR mode enabled?

Thank you

Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a Supermicro H8DA3-2 with an integrated LSI 1068E controller.

The supermicro support states that the only firmware available (and supported) for this controller are SR and IT.

Given the fact that my firmware is quite old (1.20.00.00-IT), can I flash my controller with the posted IR firmware to have IR mode enabled?

Thank you

While newer firmware might seem like a good idea, keeping Supermicro support is probably better. Unless you are experiencing a problem which is addressed by the newer firmware releases, in which case an email to Supermicro is in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry for this question but in first post stand "3TB Drive Support with this card: Will only offer 2.2TB out of 3TB (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)". Could this card full work with 3tb hdd since 5.0beta7 ?

Greets

Eisi

You CAN put a 3TB drive on that card, but it will only see 2.2 out of 3 TBs

I posted this in the more general SATA Controller Cards section but since this is a rebranded LSI card I have I thought maybe here would be better??

Anyone care to offer some guidance?  So I bought one of the IBM ServeRAID M1015 cards as suggested on E-Bay from a seller who flashed it with the IT mode firmware as recommend believing that it I could put it in my second PCIe 2.0 slot on my Biostar TP45 HP motherboard.  Unfortunately when I put the card in it doesn't seemed to be recognized in any fashion.  No errors, so bios options, no hard drive present when computer boots  -  nada.

In looking at the manual for the card under the install instructions it notes that some PCIe 2.0 slots will work only with graphics devices *ugh*  Assuming I just haven't overlooked some BIOS setting, how does one determine if such a slot is in their motherboard?  The specs at Biostar's web site simply says "2 x PCI-E x16 2.0 Slot (CFX x8)"

If I look to replace the motherboard, what sort of slot am I looking for?  The card itself is PCI-E 2.0, does that mean it will/won't work in a motherboard that has on board graphics and a single PCIe x16 slot?

Would any of these motherboard definitely work or not work with the M1015?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130305

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121373

Even though none says PCIe 2.0?

Follow up ...

I did find the manual to this motherboard and see that is says both the PCIe slots are reserved for Graphics cards.  Wish I'd have know this was a potential problem before I bought the card.

Any thoughts on the links to potential replacements, or any other LGA 775 Core 2 Duo motherboards at Newegg that would work with the IBM ServeRAID M1015 would be appreciated.

I posted this in the more general SATA Controller Cards section but since this is a rebranded LSI card I have I thought maybe here would be better??

Anyone care to offer some guidance?  So I bought one of the IBM ServeRAID M1015 cards as suggested on E-Bay from a seller who flashed it with the IT mode firmware as recommend believing that it I could put it in my second PCIe 2.0 slot on my Biostar TP45 HP motherboard.  Unfortunately when I put the card in it doesn't seemed to be recognized in any fashion.  No errors, so bios options, no hard drive present when computer boots  -  nada.

In looking at the manual for the card under the install instructions it notes that some PCIe 2.0 slots will work only with graphics devices *ugh*  Assuming I just haven't overlooked some BIOS setting, how does one determine if such a slot is in their motherboard?  The specs at Biostar's web site simply says "2 x PCI-E x16 2.0 Slot (CFX x8)"

If I look to replace the motherboard, what sort of slot am I looking for?  The card itself is PCI-E 2.0, does that mean it will/won't work in a motherboard that has on board graphics and a single PCIe x16 slot?

Would any of these motherboard definitely work or not work with the M1015?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121373

Even though none says PCIe 2.0?

More expensive but I would bet any of these will work with M1015.  The X7SBE does but only has a single x8 PCIe slot and is 2nd most expensive.

Follow up ...

I did find the manual to this motherboard and see that is says both the PCIe slots are reserved for Graphics cards.  Wish I'd have know this was a potential problem before I bought the card.

Any thoughts on the links to potential replacements, or any other LGA 775 Core 2 Duo motherboards at Newegg that would work with the IBM ServeRAID M1015 would be appreciated.

A few suggestions:

1. Flash the motherboard with the latest BIOS, then set the default configuration, save it, reboot, go into the BIOS again and disable any unused hardware features - Floppy drive, serial and parallel ports, audio, firewire, IDE controller if you are not using any of the older IDE HDs. Save this one.

2. Make sure that all the jumpers JPE1 to JPE8 and also JPE9 are set to CrossFire mode - (all of them are in position 2-3 closed) - reference page 21 bottom right - in this way you "enable" the second PCIe x16 slot to be functional and working at x*8 speed. By default they are in position 1-2 to provide your video card with max bandwidth and the second PCIe x16 slot is disabled.

Try now - your M1015 should work.

3. If no luck again - swap the controller with the video card and try again (Controller in the Master PCIe, video card in the Slave PCIe).

4. If no luck again  and if you only plan to use max of 16-18 HDs you can try to look for an older PCI only video card - people usually trow these in the garbage - but it may be possible to avoid buying an new MB

However I am 99% sure that everything will work after steps 1 and 2

Good luck and let me know.

PS. Use only Beta 12/12a or the new just released RC2