LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

I have just bought a IBM M1015 for my new unRAID server. As soon as I receive the card I am going to flash it the usual HBA FW - but!

If I one day want to use another OS than unRAID, say windows server 8 maybe, is there then anyway I can reverse the process and get back the original IBM RAID FW?

Yes. The same way. Almost all the instructions tell you how.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Though as far as RAID cards go, its not the fastest.

Ive found it just as fast or faster to leave in IT mode and have the OS do software raid.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

just tried flashing my Br10i and got the following output:

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS 1068E(B3):

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Checksum Passed: 00000000

Verifying NVDATA Compatibility. . .
	NVDATA Versions Compatible

Product ID and Vendor ID do not match.
	Would you like to flash anyway [y/n]? 
	Valid BootLoader Image verified.

Flashing IT Firmware over IR Firmware!
	Would you like to flash anyway [y/n]? 

Beginning Firmware Download

Firmware Download: SUCCESSFUL!

Verifying the image flashed correctly. . . 

Firmware Flash: SUCCESSFUL!

Resetting Adapter:
	Adapter Successfully reset.

Executing Operation: Flash BIOS Image

Validating BIOS Image. . .

BIOS Header Signature Valid.

Checksum Passed: 00000000

BIOS Image compatible with the SAS Controller.

Attempting to Flash BIOS Image. . .

ERROR: Failed to Upload Firmware!
	BIOS Flash: FAILED!

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SASFlash.

Can anyone advise what I should do next?  Does this leave my card in a useable scenario, with firmware flashed but bios not?

• 2 weeks later...

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015

2) Intel RS2WC080

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

Only iMR mode available.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)

Linux Driver: megaraid_sas - supports the LSI SAS1078, SAS1078 GEN2, SAS1079 GEN2, SAS0073 and SAS0071 chipsets. Though is is an old version indeed. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Driver not included at this point.

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

Please read the __READMEFIRST.txt file so you are clear as to all the steps and why it is important not to skip any steps.

Converting it follows all details in the post above for the LSI SAS2008 chipset (firmware release, support, etc.)

I have today assembled the last few pieces of my new unRAID and thought I should start installing - but wanted to get my IBM M1015 into IT mode before I started.

Used the guide mentioned here - but when I have extracted the zip mentioned in the readme to my usb sticks root - it refuses to boot up...

Any one have an idea what I do wrong?

My unRAID is the one here>

I have today assembled the last few pieces of my new unRAID and thought I should start installing - but wanted to get my IBM M1015 into IT mode before I started.

Used the guide mentioned here - but when I have extracted the zip mentioned in the readme to my usb sticks root - it refuses to boot up...

As Johnm said in your UCD thread.  You need to use the HP USB tools and make it bootable before extracting these to it.

As Johnm said in your UCD thread.  You need to use the HP USB tools and make it bootable before extracting these to it.

I did it, just as it showed in the provided png image - after that I extracted the zip to the drive but the machine refused to boot from it.

I did it, just as it showed in the provided png image - after that I extracted the zip to the drive but the machine refused to boot from it.

It could be a bios setting I suppose but otherwise I haven't had any problems getting my systems to boot from USB thumb drives.  Make sure it shows up in the bios as bootable and is first in the boot list which I'm sure you have already.  Maybe try to make it bootable again.  Sorry out of ideas.

It could be a bios setting I suppose but otherwise I haven't had any problems getting my systems to boot from USB thumb drives.  Make sure it shows up in the bios as bootable and is first in the boot list which I'm sure you have already.  Maybe try to make it bootable again.  Sorry out of ideas.

This time I tried again, but tested the USB stick on a Lenovo laptop were it booted just fine.

When I move it to the NAS, were I first of all reset all BIOS settings and made sure the USB was 1st boot, I only get a black screen...

Would it be possible to install XP or Ubuntu and flash from in there? If so, what files would I need to flash via those OS?

I just bought an M1015 at ebay (prices are highly variable...)

Can I flash a M1015 directly to P13 by replacing the IT firmware "2118it.bin" in batch file to the new version from LSI website?

anything else needs to be changed? "mptsas2.rom"?

Has anyone tried the new P14 version?

Are the changes needed to flash P14 same as P13?

This time I tried again, but tested the USB stick on a Lenovo laptop were it booted just fine.

When I move it to the NAS, were I first of all reset all BIOS settings and made sure the USB was 1st boot, I only get a black screen...

Would it be possible to install XP or Ubuntu and flash from in there? If so, what files would I need to flash via those OS?

There was someone that posted how to use the UEFI bios on the X9SCM to flash M1015 to IT mode but the thread (if it isn't in a prior post on this thread) escapes me.  You might try looking through earlier posts in this thread or searching for it.  I am apparently search challenged because I never seem to find the posts I'm looking for.

If you read back up this thread, you will see that it is possible to run the flash utility from within unRAID.  This is how I've always flashed my USAS2-L8i.

Firmware P14 has been released recently - some interesting "defect" fixed specially for SATA drives:

Example: SCGCQ00280727 (DFCT) - (Sata Only) Executing Start Stop Unit to move SATA Drive from Standby to Active doesn’t work

Perhaps this will finally allows for a real release 5.0

Firmware P14 has been released recently - some interesting "defect" fixed specially for SATA drives:

Example: SCGCQ00280727 (DFCT) - (Sata Only) Executing Start Stop Unit to move SATA Drive from Standby to Active doesn’t work

Perhaps this will finally allows for a real release 5.0

Nope! :(

My testing with P14 shows that it doesn't fix the problem we have with recent Linux kernels.

However, Tom has just released a testing version of RC6 which does fix the problem! :)

Can I flash a M1015 directly to P13 by replacing the IT firmware "2118it.bin" in batch file to the new version from LSI website?

can someone with P14 please answer.

Thank you

can someone with P14 please answer.

Thank you

I do not use the files posted on the first page so cannot comment ot the flashing procedure under Windows.

However one can safely copy/overwrite the firmware file and the BIOS file from any newer revision over the exiting ones and update right to the latest one.

Keep in mind that 2118it.bin is the original firmware file name for LSI9211-8i and 2108it.bin is for LSI9210-8i - they are functionally identical but the device name will change. Do not forget to overwrite the correct BIOS file too- always named mptsas2.rom

If you have a previous version one does not need to go thru the whole procedure - update is done with one line command only:

sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

I use the new firmware and skip the bios all together.

Is these a reason to use the bios for these controllers?  The boot up time is way faster and the controller works fine without it.

Is there a reason to use the bios if you don't want to change settings on the controller?  I use megacli if I want to tweak settings on the controller.

No, as i recall you needed to change 3-4 files. otherwise you end up with a mismatched flash.

what I did was used the "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11)" file on page one, then i downloaded the "upgrade-M1015-P12" file found later in the thread and i replaced the files in "upgrade-M1015-P12" with the P14 files. and it went just fine.

there is some talk that the P14 files might be needed for unraid for the LSI bug fixes. I do not think this is confirmed yet. I see no reason not to go to P14 now.

I believe i had to replace the dos version of sas2flash.exe and everything in the "sasbios_rel" folder also.. 

otherwise you get an error later that the SAS card version is incorrect or not found. I had that error back when i flashed to P13.

I was able to recover

The bios and firmware is on the LSI support site and the LSI channel support site. No credentials are required and the release notes are included too.

There's also an option to sign up for a free channel support site which gives you access to submit support cases which are typically answered in about a day.

Download the firmware package and read the release notes. If you've got a IBM card the same information and firmware is open to the public.  Compare the fw and bios. The release notes should tell you what will and won't work.

That's where the right versions are paired with corresponding bios.

No, as i recall you needed to change 3-4 files. otherwise you end up with a mismatched flash.

what I did was used the "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11)" file on page one, then i downloaded the "upgrade-M1015-P12" file found later in the thread and i replaced the files in "upgrade-M1015-P12" with the P14 files. and it went just fine.

there is some talk that the P14 files might be needed for unraid for the LSI bug fixes. I do not think this is confirmed yet. I see no reason not to go to P14 now.

I believe i had to replace the dos version of sas2flash.exe and everything in the "sasbios_rel" folder also.. 

otherwise you get an error later that the SAS card version is incorrect or not found. I had that error back when i flashed to P13.

I was able to recover

Been looking thru the posts but haven't found the link for the P14 files.  Any help?

More particularly: http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/Host%20Bus%20Adapters/Host%20Bus%20Adapters%20Common%20Files/SAS_SATA_6G_P14/9211_8i_Package_P14_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

Something I'd not spotted before ... don't know whether it is new .. is the sas2ircu tool.

Apparently intended for configuration of the array in IR (RAID) mode from the host environment, it's not of tremendous use in an unRAID system.  However, the 'DISPLAY'  command gives some interesting info.  If you identify the 'Slot #' for each bay in your drive cages, you can find out what drive is in each bay - Type, Model Number, Firmware Revision, Serial Number, GUID.  The 'Manufacturer' field is suspect, but manufacturer is included in Model Number.

I had hoped that the 'LOCATE' command might do something useful, but it doesn't appear to turn on any lights in my configuration.

I'm trying to flash my IBM M1015 (46M0861).

I installed it into the server see that bios come up on boot up.

I then try to run sas2flash and get: "  No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!"

Looking through this thread I tried all versions of sas2flash with the same results.  My unRaid box uses the ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) mother board.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try next?  My only other machine with a PCIE2.0 slot is my HTPC, would prefer not having to take it out of the rack to flash this card.

Anyone have success flashing with this motherboard?

What should I see in the syslog that shows if the card was recognized by unRaid?  I don't see anything along the lines of "LSI", or "M1015", I also don't see the drive that is attached the to card in the devices list.

thanks,

dave

Running: 5.0-beta14