USB died and restore is messing shares

gxs

Hi.

My server had a Usb failure and I had to set a new one. I had a backup but now I'm experiencing all loads of issues. 

All my users and shares are showing and are set (read/write are as they should be) but I can't see the shares on the network unless I set them for all to see (public). As soon as they are set to secure or private they just don't show up under shares. 

Can anyone help?

Edited by gxs
1 minute ago, itimpi said:

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you post your systems diagnostics zip file so we can see exactly what you have set

I planned to do that but I had loads of problems since I'm working from a phone while my wife took me shopping.  🤣

I have added the file

19 minutes ago, gxs said:

but I can't see the shares on the network unless I set them for all to see (public). As soon as they are set to secure or private they just don't show up under shares. 

Try clearing your credentials on Windows (Credential Manager).  Windows has a number of not-so-helpful "features" designed to make things easier for users which actually have the completely opposite effect

I have tried that. I have also tried from my phone. Same results. 

Setting the share to public shows it immediately. Setting it to anything other than that it just hides it. I have tried using a different user and just assigning another folder to see if it would show it but it doesn't. 

Edited by gxs

Edit: Problem solved (sort off). It seems that I need to change all the passwords on users. Even though I can log on I don't see the files. But when I have changed the password to the same one I use the folders reappeared.

Which file holds the passwords so that I can try and replace the file without changing all the users?

2 hours ago, gxs said:

Edit: Problem solved (sort off). It seems that I need to change all the passwords on users. Even though I can log on I don't see the files. But when I have changed the password to the same one I use the folders reappeared.

Which file holds the passwords so that I can try and replace the file without changing all the users?

Looks like it's smbpasswd but the passwords are not stored in plain text. That's perhaps a pain for you right now, but probably a good idea in general.

Just now, ChatNoir said:

Looks like it's smbpasswd but the passwords are not stored in plain text. That's perhaps a pain for you right now, but probably a good idea in general.

I have found it. It was in shadow but the file was empty. It seems that Unraid backups omit passwords. Good for general backups but I guess a pain for wireguard tunnels and user passwords. :)