[GUIDE] INSTALL DSM 7.1 ON UNRAID 6.10.3 (2022)

viktortras

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, viktortras said:

How did you do that? Did you follow the instructions? Give me more details about the error.

Enviado desde mi SM-N975F mediante Tapatalk

Thanks for your help.

I have followed exacrtly your steps and added 2nd disk manually by /dev/disk/by-id/ata-xxxxxxxxxxxxx instead of adding a vdisk. Till the end no errors were warned. At the iniatial setup page it told no disk was detected though I checked again the "controller=1" was correct.

===========================================================================================================================

menuentry 'RedPill DS918+ v7.1.0-42661 (USB, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'RedPill DS918+ v7.1.0-42661 (SATA, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'Tiny Core Image Build' {
Updated user_config with USB Command Line : withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS918+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x0001 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=001132E53953 sn=1780PDN021755 vid=0x46f4 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=1000 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=16
Updated user_config with SATA Command Line : withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS918+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x0001 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 synoboot_satadom=2 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=001132E53953 sn=1780PDN021755 vid=0x46f4 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=1000 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=16
Machine is VIRTUAL Hypervisor=KVM
Cleaning up files
Caching files for future use
Found /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds918p_42661.pat, copying to cache directory : /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles
Saving user session for future use. Saving current extensions  -> OK !
Saving current user_config.json  -> OK !
tc@box:~$

=================================================================================================================

I have tried adding a vdisk and it is working now, but passing through a physical disk is no luck.

Edited by francishe
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, francishe said:

Thanks for your help.

I have followed exacrtly your steps and added 2nd disk manually by /dev/disk/by-id/ata-xxxxxxxxxxxxx instead of adding a vdisk. Till the end no errors were warned. At the iniatial setup page it told no disk was detected though I checked again the "controller=1" was correct.

===========================================================================================================================

menuentry 'RedPill DS918+ v7.1.0-42661 (USB, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'RedPill DS918+ v7.1.0-42661 (SATA, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'Tiny Core Image Build' {
Updated user_config with USB Command Line : withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS918+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x0001 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=001132E53953 sn=1780PDN021755 vid=0x46f4 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=1000 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=16
Updated user_config with SATA Command Line : withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS918+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x0001 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 synoboot_satadom=2 syno_port_thaw=1 mac1=001132E53953 sn=1780PDN021755 vid=0x46f4 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=1000 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=16
Machine is VIRTUAL Hypervisor=KVM
Cleaning up files
Caching files for future use
Found /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds918p_42661.pat, copying to cache directory : /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles
Saving user session for future use. Saving current extensions  -> OK !
Saving current user_config.json  -> OK !
tc@box:~$

=================================================================================================================

I have tried adding a vdisk and it is working now, but passing through a physical disk is no luck.

Hello,

You can use the new auto method, it's easy to install and without so much problems. Tested.

Here is the link:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/63486-automated-redpill-loader-arpl/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MoogleMan said:

Hi,

I managed to install version 7.1 ....

Does anyone know if you can make a clone of the flash drive so you don't have to repeat the process. ?

I have tried but I think there is a dependency with the VID and PID of the new USB and I don't know where to modify it.

Thank you

If it is for the same hardware yes else you need to setup the bootloader again with the correct model version etc

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried it several times with different USB cloning software and it has not worked for me with any. It detects it as a new installation, it does not recognize the previously installed.

In the installation we have to execute: "./rploader.sh identifyusb". It seems to be useful to replace the VID and PID of the flash drive.

Could it be because when cloning the VID and PID they should change to those of the new penDrive?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I managed to clone the USB flash drive with a DS3622xs+ install.

I share it:

1.- I have made an image of my flash drive, with Synology installed and working, to a bin file with this program: https://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html
2.- Then with the program "GetFlashInfo.exe" (usbdriveinfo.zip), I have extracted the VIP and PID of the new USB. There are other ways to know the VIP and PID manually online.
3.- With OSFMount I have mounted the bin of the flash drive image with the installation of our version of sysnology. We choose partition 0 (zero), and uncheck read only.
4.- In the [x]:\boot\grub\ directory, there is a file with the name "grub.cfg".
5.- We edit the "grub.cfg" file and replace the VIP and PID with the new ones from the new flash drive. There are two.
6.- We save the changes. We disassemble the bin.
7.- We record this bin on the new USB drive.
8.- We unmount the new USB drive
9.- We tested the new drive on our NAS.

I hope it helps you all.

Edited by MoogleMan
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

i used this commands:

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

./rploader.sh serialgen DVA3221

./rploader.sh satamap now

./rploader.sh identifyusb now

./rploader.sh build dva3221-7.1.1-42962

./rploader.sh backup now

sudo reboot

And this customizing:

image.thumb.png.a9fbaa90cc5ccf41add4ad68fe367460.png 

And it's still getting me this:

image.png.bf455547f19958ebe5cfd60ed38b8e68.png 

Keine Laufwerke erkannt <--DE/EN--> No drives recognised

Anyone any ideas? Thank you very much in advance. 

Cheers

image.png

1 hour ago, alphaboy22 said:

Hi there,

i used this commands:

And this customizing:

Cheers

image.png

Use the ARPL loader, its better and more customizable, you will have your installation ready in 10minuted without this error. 

This error is related to disk assignation

• Thanks 1
On 3/30/2023 at 9:43 AM, alphaboy22 said:

Hi there,

i used this commands:

And this customizing:

Cheers

image.png

I use same commands and DVA3221 (for surveillance station). Works perfect.
Did you set the controller for vdisk2 to =1 in the XML?

On VM create:

X Uncheck "Start VM after creation"

X Edit again vdisk2 in the advanced xml template (top right corner) to controller='1' (if we don't do this tiny red core will not detect the disk properly when doing the satamap and will not install DSM correctly and will ask you to reinstall the *.pat infinitely)

unraidvm1.thumb.JPG.af1b9bd3b643305d07bec02a58a7f826.JPG

XML vdisk2:

controller.JPG.85027c27f10b54dc913b3674be5be302.JPG

dms.thumb.JPG.b5855127b983574e33c29c48e3a3110d.JPG

Edited by EliteGroup
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, EliteGroup said:

I use same commands and DVA3221 (for surveillance station). Works perfect.
Did you set the controller for vdisk2 to =1 in the XML?

On VM create:

X Uncheck "Start VM after creation"

X Edit again vdisk2 in the advanced xml template (top right corner) to controller='1' (if we don't do this tiny red core will not detect the disk properly when doing the satamap and will not install DSM correctly and will ask you to reinstall the *.pat infinitely)

unraidvm1.thumb.JPG.af1b9bd3b643305d07bec02a58a7f826.JPG

XML vdisk2:

controller.JPG.85027c27f10b54dc913b3674be5be302.JPG

dms.thumb.JPG.b5855127b983574e33c29c48e3a3110d.JPG

Hi @EliteGroup,

yeah ... this helped! Thank's a lot!

Cheers

Doesn't matter what I do, I cannot boot a 7.0.1 with ARPL loader. Tried v1.1 beta 2 and even old v1.0 beta 3.
Tried virtio-net + e1000 network card type.

Nothing helps. I can ping it after booting for like 3-4 seconds and then it gets stuck.

How do I get the logs?

EDIT: logs can be read using `cat /dev/pts/1`. Change ID to yours (from unraid vm logs)

Edited by uraid

I got DSM running great with the the ARPL loader thanks to the comments in this thread.

Wondering if it is possible to expand storage later with another “drive” (virtual or otherwise) or if anyone has tried that.

Is it as simple as adding another Drive to the VM settings?

32 minutes ago, casperse said:

Hi All

I have been running the v. 7.1.0 and I did a full backup of the VM folder on my Uraid.

Tried the upgrade to 7.1.1 and it failed, so I copied the old VM's over the existing and started my Synology up again.

But for some reason I now hangs during boot any ideas?

image.png.e5f0284bcbea7f2576ec74787eec464b.png

I found that if I remove my second virtual disc "/mnt/user/Photos_backup/vdisk_photo.qcow2" then it boots?

Any Idea on how to fix this?

I would hate to create a new disc and move all the files to it again!

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache_appdata/domains/XPEnology_DS3617xs_DSM_7/tinycore-redpill.v0.8.0.0.img' index='3'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='usb'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='usb-disk2'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache_appdata/domains/XPEnology_DS3617xs_DSM_7/vdisk1.qcow2' index='2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata1-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='1' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/Photos_backup/vdisk_photo.qcow2' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata1-0-4'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='1' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>

• 2 months later...

Hi,

When i update to 6.12, my VM with DSM 6 died ... so i tried to go on DSM 7 with ARPL then ARC but i got a strange issue (same on both), everything is fine until it needs to format the disk when installation DSM, and it fails at 0%, i cannot do anything esle. Controller is set to 1.

<devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/DSM7/arc.img' index='2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='usb'/>
      <serial>vdisk1</serial>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='usb-disk2'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/DSM7/vdisk2.img' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <serial>vdisk2</serial>
      <alias name='sata1-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='1' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>

Does anybody already seen this ?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 5:16 AM, viktortras said:

Installing DSM 7.1.0.-42661 on UNRAID 6.10.3

I have been trying to install DSM 7.1 on my unraid server for the last night. After some problems and testing I have created this guide to install DSM 7.1 on unraid working perfectly.

This is my vm config:

983366734_dsmonunraid1.thumb.jpg.d41bb2d47124a5ac1e449297251e3895.jpg

STEP 1-Virtual machine creation: 

•     Download tiny core from https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill
  •     Select CentOS VM Template and apply correct options from the attached image.
  •     Select Q35-6.2
  •     Select 3.0 (qemu XHCI)
  •     Load tiny red core as vdisk1 USB by selecting manually (you can create previously the name of the folder for the VM inside /domains and upload the tinycore img )
  •     Create secondary disk 50G or whatever you want (this is your data storage for synology) as vdisk2 SATA
  •     Select Network model: e1000
  •     Save.
  •     Uncheck "Start VM after creation"

•     Edit again vdisk2 in the advanced xml template (top right corner) to controller='1' (if we don't do this tiny red core will not detect the disk properly when doing the satamap and will not install DSM correctly and will ask you to reinstall the *.pat infinitely)

STEP 2-Start VM and connect via SSH

•     Start VM and load tiny red core
  •     Once the OS is loaded, open the terminal and enter ifconfig to find out the ip of the machine
  •     Connect via ssh (with Putty) to the obtained IP address.

user: tc
        password: P@ssw0rd

STEP 3-Run the following commands:

•     To update tiny red core with the latest data 

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

•     To generate random mac and serial numbers (copy mac address generated to set on unraid vm template later)

./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ (or whatever version you want, you can see all versions available with command info ./rploader.sh)

•     To map the connected disks

./rploader.sh satamap now

•     To record the vid/pid from usb

./rploader.sh identifyusb now

•     To install NIC drivers (sometimes it loads the e1000e module instead of the e1000 and it doesn't work, adding this command will make sure that the e1000 module for the NIC is loaded correctly)

For e1000 Network Card run:

./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/e1000/rpext-index.json

NOTE: change version according your selection for CPU and DSM version

For virtio-net Network Card run:

./rploader.sh ext apollolake-7.1.0-42661 add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pocopico/rp-ext/master/v9fs/rpext-index.json

NOTE: change version according your selection for CPU and DSM version

•     To build the image

./rploader.sh build apollolake-7.1.0-42661

STEP 4-Download your .pat for your correct cpu architecture from official repo or mega download for this version apollolake , we will need it to install DSM later.

https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/7.1/42661-1/DSM_DS918%2B_42661.pat - Offical repo

https://mega.nz/file/5YI2yCYL#oNR6Cq5FmIdySL1cdUm_8vm2A-BSuj2NqbP_7ywTe_A - DSM 7.1-42261 apollolake 

STEP 5-Edit VM settings on advanced xml mode and install *.pat

• After doing all the above we shut down the machine.
  • Edit the virtual machine on xml advanced mode (if we change mac address in normal editing mode you will lose controller="1" option set for vdisk2 we did previously so you will have to set it again everytime you change and/or save a setting from normal mode, try to edit always in xml advanced mode), look for MAC address and set the MAC generated by tiny red core.
  • Save.
  • Start VM
  • Select the first option USB and leave it a few minutes like below image until we find it with synology assistant

redpill.thumb.jpg.e55369c5a460bc5449ea5d8dcfe72a23.jpg

• Open WebGui and install *.pat

We now have DSM 7.1 working on unraid.

There is other method with SATA boot but I have to test it better.

Hope this guide help someone.

Regards.

THX....

works perfect!!!