(Solved) 6.10.3 Unmountable: Wrong or no file system after adding a precleared disk to the array. Need Help Please!

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm having a very difficult time believing that my luck is this bad, but here I am with yet another issue trying to do something as simple as adding a disk to my array. 

I originally had 9 array disks in 6.9.2 before I had multiple drive/hardware/bios issues. I removed one disk that failed in slot 4. I left slot 4 empty while I started to reconfigure unraid using a clean boot drive with 6.10.3. I set up my two cache pools, plugins, and configured all my settings, but left parity disks out for now. I figured why rebuild parity until I have everything set correctly including replacing slot 4 disk that had been empty. 

Here's where things go bad.

I stopped my array.

Clicked on slot 4.

Picked a new precleared disk (sdf).

Started the array. 

Immediately saw this:

458733152_Screenshot2022-07-03222744.thumb.jpg.574eb4e30edc1c3132d7d49f7fd9e064.jpg

I scrolled down to then find unraid wanting to format ALL of my data drives:

1014720029_Screenshot2022-07-03222920.thumb.jpg.37df7124a7d16f06d016fd84a59b92bd.jpg

The disk I added is Disk 4. It was precleared and I even verified that the preclear signature was there using the Preclear plugin before adding the disk to my array since some time had passed and I couldn't remember if I precleared that specific disk. 

My array was working perfectly before I attempted to add the new disk. I even ran the Fix Common Problems after I adjusted all my plugins, docker, and settings to verify there were no issues. 

I freaked out and immediately stopped the array. I never clicked on the checkbox to format the drives. 

After stopping the array and trying to unassign the disk I just added, Disk 4, unraid showed an error stating that Disk 4 was missing and the button to Start the array was grayed out because of 'Too many wrong/or missing disks'.

I'm really hoping that all I need to do is use the New Config option under Tools, but I'm not sure that's the right move to do at this point. 

So I'm attaching my Diagnostics and hoping someone could help me recover from my horrendous luck. 

threadripper19-diagnostics-20220703-2246.zip

Edited by FQs19
Topic Solved
1 minute ago, trurl said:

How is this new disk connected? Did you add any of those nvme drives as part of your reconfiguration?

Something definitely crashing and it seems related to your motherboard.

I believe that disk is connected to my LSI 9300-8i. I don't want to power down the server and pull the disk to verify just yet. So if it's not connected to my LSI HBA, it's connected to the motherboard.

The NVME drives were all original to unraid from prior to all my problems. I formatted them after starting with a clean 6.10.3 boot drive and reconfiguring everything. 

I will mention that when I started New Config after booting up with 6.10.3 clean boot drive, I left Slot 4 unpopulated, because I knew I was going to add a disk to that slot after preclearing a new disk. 

6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Some strange crashes, including the Unraid driver, rebooting should fix the problem for now.

I didn't even notice the crashes until trurl mentioned them and I looked in the logs. 

I saw no problems when using the gui or adding data to my array prior to trying to add the disk. 

During all of my troubleshooting over the past couple months, I needed Asus to fix a problem in their motherboard's bios. If I disabled the Intel LAN and WiFi controllers, the boot process would go through a couple errors, but eventually boot after 4 mins. Specifically the errors were CPU Code 7 then TEST CMOS. 

They eventually provided me with a special firmware that stopped those errors from happening. I thought everything was finally fixed, but I started having issues with the onboard 10GbE port. It would sometimes not connect to my switch unless I pulled the SFP+ module then re-inserted it. 

At this point, I'm guessing this motherboard is actually bad. I'll contact Asus again and see what they say. The motherboard is still under warranty, but the problem is that there aren't any new ones available. I actually can't find any new TRX40 motherboards for sale at a reasonable price. So I basically spent over $2000 for two components that I can no longer use. 😞

So after I restart the server, should I just use the New Config tool to add all of my data disks including the new Slot 4 disk at once or are there other steps I need to take first? Before I shut it down, I wasn't able to remove the new Slot 4 disk and start the array. 

Thanks for taking a look JorgeB. 

49 minutes ago, FQs19 said:

So after I restart the server, should I just use the New Config tool to add all of my data disks including the new Slot 4 disk at once or are there other steps I need to take first?

As long as it doesn't start crashing again you don't need to do anything, all disks should mount except disk4 that will need to be formatted, if they don't post new diags.

• Thanks 1

After restarting my server, unraid correctly showed only Disk 4 as unmountable and gave me the option to Format only that disk.

I formatted the disk and it appears there was no data corruption on the other disks.

Whew...

2095736917_Screenshot2022-07-04134047.thumb.jpg.39e2c6f09c85aaf7991e0a1dea416f8a.jpg

I'm definitely going to request a new motherboard from Asus since I'm still under warranty. Really hope they have a new one to send me. 

Thanks for everyone's help. 

• Like 1
  • FQs19 changed the title to (Solved) 6.10.3 Unmountable: Wrong or no file system after adding a precleared disk to the array. Need Help Please!