(Solved) Parity-Sync running extremely slowly...currently at 8MB/sec Unable to find out why.

Go to solution Solved by FQs19,

5 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Perfect, if all disk in same size will speed up too.

Excellent. Maybe I'll start replacing my array disks with 7200rpm disks when I need to.

Thanks again for the help. I'm ready to get this server back up and running after several months of troubleshooting and a case change. 

Just waiting for my new power supply to replace my current one, then I can start working on rebuilding my Plex docker and all the damn metadata. That'll take me weeks to do, maybe even months if I don't get time off from work. hahaha

On 7/13/2022 at 2:42 AM, JorgeB said:

No, but look for "Power Supply Idle Control" (or similar) and set it to "typical current idle" (or similar).

I couldn't find anything that was similar to Power Supply Idle Control  nor did I find anything that said typical current idle. 

I have a new motherboard that I will test in the next couple weeks. Hopefully it'll work properly. I'll also look for the same settings on that board which is an MSI AMD Pro Series TRX40 Pro10G. 

• FQs19 changed the title to (Solved) Parity-Sync running extremely slowly...currently at 8MB/sec Unable to find out why.
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally switched to a new motherboard. This time I'm using the MSI TRX40 Pro 10G. 

I thought everything was working well until I had two issues pop up. 

The first is more of an annoyance. When booting my system, I can not change the default Boot Selector Mode. 

I have unRAID set to boot into GUI mode, but when the Boot Selector screen comes up I can't change the selection to anything else like Memtest or No GUI. The keyboard won't recognize any inputs from any keys. I've tried everything including different keyboards, different USB ports including USB2 and USB3, changing the BIOS USB settings, and I even tried flashing my boot drive with a clean version of 6.10.3. Nothing helped. So I gave up and will live with it. Here's the forum post for that issue:

The second problem is exactly like this post about not being able to Disable Global C-State Control. If I set Global C-State Control to Disabled on this MSI motherboard, the parity check runs very slow around 10MB/s. 

Once I change Global C-State Control to Auto, the parity check runs at 180MB/s.

So my question is, do you think that there's actually a problem with my AMD 3960x CPU?

Because I can not believe that two separate motherboards would have the same issue of not being able to Disable Global C-State control, especially since there are other unRAID Threadripper users that have it disabled with no issues.

I don't have Diagnostics to post since I'm way to tired of dealing with this and working. 

Plus, I tried to remove a drive from my array following the Preserve Parity Method, but obviously did it wrong because when I checked Parity with Corrections Enabled, it started running slow at only 89MB/s because it was writing corrections only to the second Parity disk. So right now I'm running a Parity Sync after running a New Config and don't want to stop the Parity Sync to grab Diagnostics showing the problem. 

26 minutes ago, FQs19 said:

when the Boot Selector screen comes up I can't change the selection to anything else like Memtest or No GUI. The keyboard won't recognize any inputs from any keys. I've tried everything

Really trouble, still I never have such problem.

26 minutes ago, FQs19 said:

So my question is, do you think that there's actually a problem with my AMD 3960x CPU?

Not likely, but really no idea.

May be you need ask other person which use TRX40 platform.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Thanks 1