We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Server Unavailable due to Networking Problem?

Go to solution Solved by IT_Feldman,

Good day all,

I'm having another problem with my server that I can't seem to figure out. Saturday night I was having issues accessing my containers and streaming video, but I could access the Unraid GUI just fine. The next day I was still having problems so I did a Reboot and the machine was not accessible again.

It seems to come back online just fine but it's completely inaccessible over the network. I've booted into it in Safe Mode with a GUI so I could play with it and I can see it all locally, but even when it's online I still can't reach it by its IP. To clarify, I have tested that other devices plugged into the same switch/router are accessible and can be pinged so I don't believe it's a problem with my home network devices.

When I boot it up normally, I get the following kinds of messages:
Warning: simplexml_load_file(): !&# D; in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamic.docker.manager/scripts/fixDescriptions on line 12

Warning: simplexml_load_file():     ^ in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamic.docker.manager/scripts/fixDescriptions on line 12

Warning: simplexml_load_file():  - If you'd like (to'par worD proTect ygur sites,$ynu cAn use htpasscd, Rqn the in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/fixDescriptions on line 12

Warning: simplexml_load_file():     ^ in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamic.docker.manager/scripts/fixDescriptions on line 12

Finally, when I check the Tools -> System Logs, I don't see much. There are some lines about:

device eth0 entered promiscuous mode

br0: port1(bond0) entered disabled state

But I don't know what those mean really, so I can't be sure if they're part of the problem.

Thank you in advanced!

EDIT: Attached the exported syslog zip file to the thread. This was taken from Safe Mode as there was no other way to access the machine, and was unfortunately captured after the reboot had occurred.

cerberus-diagnostics-20220725-0941.zip

Edited by IT_Feldman
24 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Try booting with a trial key, just to check if it's flash/config related.

I recently overwrote my license key on my flash drive when I was having prior problems and it stated I can't change it again for a year. If I use a trial key in place of that, and try to get my actual key back on the drive will I have a problem? Also.... how do I get a trial key for testing?

43 minutes ago, IT_Feldman said:

I recently overwrote my license key on my flash drive when I was having prior problems and it stated I can't change it again for a year. If I use a trial key in place of that, and try to get my actual key back on the drive will I have a problem? Also.... how do I get a trial key for testing?

It is only the automated licence transfer that is limited to once a year.  If you have set up the MyServers plugin you can get a copy of your licence via that route.  Alternatively email Limetech explaining this giving the details of the email used for the current licence and they will normally promptly email you back a copy of your licence.

Okay, so I've attempted to troubleshoot this with a different flash drive I had lying around but I'm not making progress.

First off, I imaged the flash drive with a newly downloaded creator tool and plugged that into my server. I was met with a prompt to login so I figured the first boot process was going well. When I followed the instructions to get to the new server (I.e., http://<server-name>/local), it wouldn't connect. I rebooted the server into the OS with GUI, but I never got the GUI to appear (in Safe mode, or regular).

So I attempted to try and copy some items from my original config folder on the new drive such as all the folders, the .cfg files, etc.. (all but the Network and key files) to see if it made a difference and I'm still having the same problem.

Did I do something wrong?

Okay.... so, I swapped network cables just for shits. This shouldn't have made a difference since everything is new and is never touched but lo and behold I can reach the initial landing page of the server with the new, empty flash drive (although not http://tower.local - but by IP). So I tried the old Flash Drive and I still can't see, or get to anything. I don't even get to the login prompt from the command line interface, just all those same "Warning: simplexml_load_file():" issues.

Does this mean the Flash Drive is messed up? Or are the plugins the problem?

The last time this happened I made a backup from the GUI and it created a zip folder. Since I can't do that now is it fine to just copy the config folder from the source drive as-is and paste that overtop of the new drive's config folder? Or will I lose something?

I worry about re-configuring the server because I don't want to lose my RAID or the data on it. Will keep this thread updated with the results

4 minutes ago, IT_Feldman said:

Since I can't do that now is it fine to just copy the config folder from the source drive as-is and paste that overtop of the new drive's config folder?

As long as it's up to date it's fine.

4 minutes ago, IT_Feldman said:

I worry about re-configuring the server because I don't want to lose my RAID or the data on it.

That's the easy part, you can even keep the old array config, certainly it's not that causing the issues.