Parity-Sync stops after 1.5% and never progresses

I just built my first Unraid server and am having a hard time tracking down the problem. I created a new array (six 14Tb drives) and have a 14Tb parity disk. The sync starts and within 4-5 minutes it has gone from 0.1% to 1.5% and it just stop progressing. Unraid shows it's still running but the only thing that changes is the estimated completion time, it has gone from 15 hours to 533 days.

I've done a full memory check (32Gb), letting it run overnight and had 4 full passes with no errors. Everything is brand new, even the drives.

Any help would be appreciated, here's the syslog, it seems to start having problems at about line 2773.

parity-check-progress.png

syslog.zip

Version 6.9.2 did not help, in fact, made it worse. It ran for 18 minutes and I got:

Aug 27 08:24:31 Home-Server kernel: traps: emhttpd[2500] general protection fault ip:14ab5d246554 sp:14ab5cb85be8 error:0 in libc-2.30.so[14ab5d1e1000+16b000]

At this point I think it's a hardware incommutability.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unlikely that it would be incompatible with 3 very different kernels.

Thanks @JorgeB. From what I've seen in the logs it always seems to be a GPF. If the memory has tested good, what else might cause those?

I do have (2) LSI 9207-8i controllers, could it be a driver problem with those? I'm pretty sure I have some other hardware RAID cards that can be set to JBOD, perhaps I should try those next?

Edit: I could also connect a few drives to the SATA ports on the motherboard and try to make a parity set.

Edited by RWayneRoss
2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Don't think so, those are very common with Unraid, I have some myself.

Do you have another board/CPU combo you could test with?

I do. It's a bit older than this setup, which might be good in this case. I'll put it together and give it a try. It'll take a day or more as I'll be tied up most of today with other duties.

• Like 1