LSI2308 in new unraid build.

Guys, i just puchased an old SM based 24 port system and installed a trail version of unraid. Its got an 8 port LSI2308 which doesnt seem to pass thru any drives i've been trying so went into LSI bios and it seems to be configured in IR mode?? Am i right in thinking that this needs to be changed and if so, any ideas how? Seemingly thats a raid mode and i need a pass thru, jbod mode in order to present discs to unraid, yes? Am i talking garbage here, if so tell me now, i just need this to work ... thanks!!

Should have said that this is an onboard lsi2308 not an external card. Does that make a difference? It's being presented as LS2308-IR in the lsi bios. There's also an external lsi 16 port card, same problem, which accodates the total of 24 drives. How do I change the presentation to jbod though, suppose that's my question. I've not done this before ...

34 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Should have said that this is an onboard lsi2308 not an external card. Does that make a difference? It's being presented as LS2308-IR in the lsi bios. There's also an external lsi 16 port card, same problem, which accodates the total of 24 drives. How do I change the presentation to jbod though, suppose that's my question. I've not done this before ...

Perhaps something in this video will be helpful.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:47 PM, Squid said:

IT Mode is ideal.  But IR mode should work but you'd also need to create the array in the BIOS of the card (as JBOD, or multiple arrays with only a single drive)

Bios of IR mode doesnt have a JBOD option unfortunately, only raid, of which raid0 would seem the closest fit but that just presents one large disk not directly attached indidvidual disks unfortunately. And, the fans are LLLOOOOOUUUDDD. Where can i get a 120x120x38 quiet set of fans ;>))

20 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Wow H, that's some video and way over MY head. All i gleaned was that it shuld be possible to flash to IT mode but never having done anything like that before i chickened out at the first hurdle. Too many cli commands there for me and comprehension of what to do and when was never my strong point. Thanks any way. 

There are several threads in these forums and on the Internet about cross-flashing LSI chipset based cards to IT mode.  I bought a SAS2008 card on eBay and followed the instructions to successfully flash it to IT mode.  It may seem daunting but it can be done by following the documented steps.

I did not watch that whole video so I can't comment on the technical expertise required to do what it shows. I linked it only because it was showing how to cross-flash an onboard LSI 2308 controller since that is what you have.

3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

There are several threads in these forums and on the Internet about cross-flashing LSI chipset based cards to IT mode.  I bought a SAS2008 card on eBay and followed the instructions to successfully flash it to IT mode.  It may seem daunting but it can be done by following the documented steps.

I did not watch that whole video so I can't comment on the technical expertise required to do what it shows. I linked it only because it was showing how to cross-flash an onboard LSI 2308 controller since that is what you have.

Yeah, it seems daunting. I'm not sure whether the term cross-flashing is applicable though. The board has LSI-2308 onboard but in IR mode, which i understand to be raid mode. I just need it to be in IT direct attachment mode, yes? Is that 'cross-flashing' still as i dont see why i'm flashing at all, seems i just need a mode change. I assume its because there isnt a FW appropriate for the 2308 so it needs to be off a 2208, am i reasoning correctly?? Help, as always,  greatly appreciated.

Right. I've had a read but am still slightly confused. My existing controller is already a sas2308 so i'm looking for an IT firmware also for a sas 2308, yes?  That video seems to be bringing an existing sas 2208 up to the level of a sas 2308 so there's a lot of editing that i dont need?? That's where i'm at. Alongwith locating the tools and identifying where to run these from. I'm assuming i boot from a dos usb stick?