Force Read Only Array Mount with Old Parity Drive

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Kevin T said:

do I just do the New Config process again?

Nope, you just replace disk1 with a 6TB, you could cancel the first rebuild to the old parity, replace it it with a 6TB disk, start the rebuild and cancel after a minute, and that would be enough to see if xfs_repair now works, if yes you can than complete the rebuild.

I was trying to follow the Parity Swap instructions but I preferred a Spaceinvader One video instead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMlR0TMeKsI) .  I let it run for about 1 1/2 days (it ran through the percentage over time) but what is weird is I saw it say Reading next to the old parity 5TB in Disk 1 but never saw it say Writing next to the newer 6TB parity as the video showed and now it is saying "Copy will copy the parity information to the new parity disk.  Once copy completes, the array may be Started, to initiate Data-Rebuild of the disabled disk."  So did it copy or do I have to do it again, it just has the option to select "Yes, I want to do this" and the button says Copy (and no Start button).

2022-1022_unRAID-Main.jpg

Edited by Kevin T

It got done copying the parity to the 6TB disk a few minutes ago, I attached a current screenshot, notice the message about Disk 1 being reconstructed and available for normal operation?  If I highlight over the triangle next to Disk 1 it says device contents emulated.

I'm just being cautious and again the original Disk 1 was the same made/model/size that is currently inserted for Disk 1 so do start the array as is and see what happens or do you think I have to use a 6TB for replacement for DIsk 1.  Do I need to run xfs_repair at any point to check?

I also attached another current diagnostics just in case.

Web Capture 2022-1023_unRAID-Main2.jpg

unraid-diagnostics-20221023-2311.zip

When I ran xfs_repair -n /dev/md1, it gave several "bad agbno" and "imap claims in-use inode XXX is free, would correct imap" messages among other things, but now attempting xfs_repair -v /dev/md1 it is just doing this:

root@unRAID:/boot# xfs_repair -v /dev/md1
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
        - block cache size set to 142528 entries
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
zero_log: head block 3492062 tail block 3492060
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
of the filesystem before doing this.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I don't want to do something wrong at this point, the array is started but unRAID is saying Unmountable disk present (Disk 1).  I think you said on the previous (newer) parity drive I had to run -L but it only found about half the files and I'm hoping this parity drive version is more complete so I'm not sure if there's a way to try to mount it or has unRAID already tried that?  So what commands do I do at this point and do I do it while the arrary is running or stop it and put in maintenance mode?

Web Capture 2022-1025_unRAID-Main2.jpg

Edited by Kevin T

I ran it with -L, then after it completed, stopped the array and restarted it for data-rebuild which shows the drive at 5TB and the XFS filesystem but there is nothing on the drive other than a lost+found directory with hardly anything in it and an empty appdata directory, total space used is only 8.18GB with 4.99TB free, so practically everything is gone.

Any other options?  I really thought with this being the parity drive replaced before issues started that most of everything would be recovered, so I'm really shocked and upset that it was basically empty.

Web Capture 2022-1025_unRAID-Main3.jpg

Edited by Kevin T

That's weird, it was working when it was pulled unless something went bad along the way, was my original 5TB shot during the parity copy?

Not sure what I'm going to do now.

The new 6TB Disk 1 is still only showing as 5TB and it didn't auto expand like they normally do when swapped, is there something I have to do to expand it?