2 disks disabled with read errors

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

10 hours ago, HAMANY said:

don't have enough space in the drives, what will happen?

This question suggests some fundamental misunderstandings about how the parity array works in Unraid. Each disk is an independent filesystem that can be read all by itself. Each file exists completely on a single disk, there is no striping. Nothing automatically redistributes files on array disks to other array disks ever.

New Config doesn't do anything to any of the data drives, it just rebuilds parity based on the currently assigned data drives. Space isn't a consideration since nothing is changed on any data disk, and parity is always completely full of parity bits.

Since you want parity to be rebuilt based on all the disks including those unassigned disks, they all have to be assigned to the array.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Overview#Parity-Protected_Array

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, trurl said:

This question suggests some fundamental misunderstandings about how the parity array works in Unraid. Each disk is an independent filesystem that can be read all by itself. Each file exists completely on a single disk, there is no striping. Nothing automatically redistributes files on array disks to other array disks ever.

New Config doesn't do anything to any of the data drives, it just rebuilds parity based on the currently assigned data drives. Space isn't a consideration since nothing is changed on any data disk, and parity is always completely full of parity bits.

Since you want parity to be rebuilt based on all the disks including those unassigned disks, they all have to be assigned to the array.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Overview#Parity-Protected_Array

Thanks. True, I misunderstood the when I saw the options under "Preserve current assignments". I thought if I select "all", the emulated data + disk data will both be restored to my drives.

Anyways, I've done what @JorgeB mentioned and everything worked as expected, the parity sync is in progress.

Thank you all @JorgeB, @trurl, @itimpi. I will mark this issue as resolved.

Lessons learned:

- Avoid SATA power splitters

- Avoid motherboard SATA ports and get SAS HBA 

• Like 1