Windows 10 VM completely freezing after 6.11.1 upgrade

On 10/16/2022 at 12:10 PM, johnsanc said:

@SimonF - I will try to reproduce that and provide the logs, however they look the same as the ones I provided in my diagnostics. There is nothing useful in the logs when the freeze occurs at all.

Is there any way to enable better debug logging to capture info about the freeze?

Also can others following this thread also please try just leaving in the memory backing config and NOT any of the virtiofs stuff to see if you also still observe the freeze?

<memoryBacking>
    <source type='memfd'/>
    <access mode='shared'/>
  </memoryBacking>

In this situation I did not experience any lock-ups with my VMs. I had eneable VirtioFS in my Xubuntu VM but could not mount any of the shares using cmd line. So I left it and used SMB for a few days. It wasn't until I learned I could add them in fstab and have them automount that the VM started freezing. Happened again last night with a brand new install of KDE Neon but without any of the Fstab edits or shares mounted. Always occurs when the VM is idle. Hasn't happened when I am using it . At least not yet.

Edited by RhinoMedia
On 2/1/2023 at 8:09 AM, dja said:

An interesting note: I have a Win10 VM running fine with everything turned on and enabled. Not one freeze. The only difference I can spot is TPM. Is this possibly the cause?

Hi there,

I am experiencing intermittent lockups with a Win10 VM too. More so when the system is idle, but also when using it occasionally. How do you disable TPM? Is this an XML config option? Or were you trying to pass it through?

I am passing through an NVME drive, an NVIDIA GTX3070 and the mainboard USB hub so I can use keyboard, mouse etc. All seems to work....right up until it locks up.

On 2/13/2023 at 9:28 AM, xavierda said:

Hi there,

I am experiencing intermittent lockups with a Win10 VM too. More so when the system is idle, but also when using it occasionally. How do you disable TPM? Is this an XML config option? Or were you trying to pass it through?

I am passing through an NVME drive, an NVIDIA GTX3070 and the mainboard USB hub so I can use keyboard, mouse etc. All seems to work....right up until it locks up.

where you able to solve this, sound similiar to my issue.
i have an win10 vm which is not so performant, then i followed some win10 gaming vm tutorial , this one is really performant, but it freezes when idle.

I know the main topic says Windows 10 but I'm having the same issue with an Ubuntu VM

I've got an Xubuntu 22.04 LTS VM. It uses 6 cores (12 threads) and 32GB of RAM. The Vdisk size is 250GB. It's the daily driver I use for stuff I do with Plex. I used VirtioFS to map four of my shares to it by editing /etc/fstab so they auto-mount. When the VM is idle and I'm not sure how long it remains idle before this happens, all the CPUs will max out to 100% and it locks up. There is nothing in the logs (Unraid or the VM logs) and the only way to fix it is to stop the VM and then start it again. It is fine while I am using it. It only happens when it is idle. If I change the VM drive settings to 9P Mode and modify the mappings in fstab the same thing happens. I have to set the xml from

<memoryBacking>

<source type='memfd'/>

<access mode='shared'/>

</filesystem>

back to its default to prevent it from freezing. I really hope there is way to resolve this. VirtioFS is just so much faster than SMB or 9P for accessing shares from a VM.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:28 AM, xavierda said:

Hi there,

You will need to create a new VM and select SeaBios in the BIOS section. This removes the TPM option as a drop-down option. 

You don't need to install a new OS for the new VM,  just remove the existing VM without deleting the disk files and point the new VM to the original disk image file(s). 

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I reup this thread because it seems that the Freeze problem on Windows 11 VMs is still not solved.

For my part my configuration is based on Ryzen 3900x and X570 Aorus Master, total of 64gb of RAM of which 32 passed to the VM.

In Q35 7.1 and OVMF TPM

RX5700XT passtrough with no vnios attached (no need)

After a few hours, the same symptom as all the others, I tried plenty of fixes, nothing works (disable Hyper-V, modified the XML according to some semblance of resolution found etc.) nothing to do, it always ends up crashing over few hours.

My last modification was to switch my disks from Virtio to SATA, nothing changed

No Unraid share was activated, the virtio service is cut on my virtual machine, it's to understand nothing more ...

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to chime in, tried virtiofs for the first time ever today and gosh performance is SO much better than 9p but after coming back to my ubuntu VM it was locked, all cores pegged at 100%. Trying again with a Manjaro VM but I dont see it being any better. Hoping there was a fix but I dont see one yet... I hope this gets resolved because the performance for me with virtiofs vs 9p is night and day! 

2 hours ago, foop09 said:

I just wanted to chime in, tried virtiofs for the first time ever today and gosh performance is SO much better than 9p but after coming back to my ubuntu VM it was locked, all cores pegged at 100%. Trying again with a Manjaro VM but I dont see it being any better. Hoping there was a fix but I dont see one yet... I hope this gets resolved because the performance for me with virtiofs vs 9p is night and day! 

What CPU are you running? There is a virtiofsd page here: