Cache only folders show unprotected...?

unread
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

i have 2 SSDs (raid 1)

image.png.dc5bbc29fc26c07b13e90100ccbf9b17.png

image.png.07271ab6af9588deaa67321b861c804c.png

But it still shows the folders as unprotected...? 

image.png.bf1dfc0185f28719c06268fd286c356e.png

image.thumb.png.dc29bcd98d0486ab0ef22222a062f3c2.png

usually this should happen when th ere are still files left on mnt disk 1 or disk2, but there isnt

root@XXX:~# ls /mnt/disk1
BACKUP/
root@XXX:~# ls /mnt/disk2
root@XXX:~# 

root@XXX:~# ls /mnt/cache/
CARAT/  appdata/  domains/  isos/  system/

image.png

Edited by unread
7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Yellow color in the dashboard means cache only shares, only on the "Shares" tab it means unprotected.

I'm having this issue as well and it shows unprotected on the Shares tab with the warning triangles. I have two mirrored "Raid 1" btrfs cache pools set up (one with a pair of SSDs and one with a pair of conventional drives) and Unraid considers some of the shares using them to be unprotected. The "System" share using the same cache is happy. Why? Please see the attached screen shots.

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 10.48.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 10.48.01 AM.png

24 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Is the array protected with parity and without any disabled disk? If not any share that has files there will be unprotected.

The main array currently has a missing disk. But, if you'll note, the shares are set to "Yes" meaning they shouldn't care about the Unraid array as data will never be stored there. And the "System" share is happy with the situation despite being set to "Yes" on the same cache. This very much seems like a bug in the latest version of Unraid?

Just now, JorgeB said:

That doesn't matter, what matters if the share has data on the array or not, you can check by clicking on "compute" for that share.

The shares flagged as "unprotected" have no data on the array. They were created recently and have always been set to "Yes" for cache only hence have never had data on the array unless there's some bug in Unraid that writes data to the array even when you create a share that's supposed to always use a cache pool? This really seems like a bug?

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

So that confirms what I said, share has files in the array, 6 Bytes is likely just the folder, you can delete it or change the share to cache=prefer and run the mover and after that it will show protected.

Delete it how? I don't see any obvious things to delete in my array? And why was a folder created in my array in the first place when this share was created to ONLY USE CACHE from the very start? This seriously seems like a problem that needs to be addressed? It's easily re-created. This isn't some fringe weird issue. It's something anyone can recreate in a few easy steps. Unraid seems to be broken if it's writing things to the array for newly created shares that are supposed to only use cache. Can you explain how I have this wrong?

2 hours ago, dev_guy said:

They were created recently and have always been set to "Yes" for cache only hence have never had data on the array unless there's some bug in Unraid that writes data to the array even when you create a share that's supposed to always use a cache pool? This really seems like a bug?

No, you chose "Yes" which is "put on cache, then move to array". It's "Only" that never moves to the array.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dev_guy said:

The main array currently has a missing disk. But, if you'll note, the shares are set to "Yes" meaning they shouldn't care about the Unraid array as data will never be stored there.

Actually the Yea value means the data WILL be stored on the array if mover gets a chance to put it there. so if the array is not currently protected then the warning triangle makes sense.

It sounds as if you may not quite understand how the values for the Use Cache setting operate as the Yes setting does NOT mean you want it kept permanently on the cache.   Using the help built into the GUI for this setting can help clarify how this setting operates.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Actually the Yea value means the data WILL be stored on the array if mover gets a chance to put it there. so if the array is not currently protected then the warning triangle makes sense.

It sounds as if you may not quite understand how the values for the Use Cache setting operate as the Yes setting does NOT mean you want it kept permanently on the cache.   Using the help built into the GUI for this setting can help clarify how this setting operates.

Thank you @itimpi @Kilrahand @JorgeB as you are correct and have hopefully provided the answer. It doesn't explain why the System share, which is also set to "Yes" is green and protected, but I agree I should have chosen "Only" if I want the shares to stay on the cache. I have more testing to do.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:48 PM, ChatNoir said:

I would guess that the files in that share are always in use when the system is started and the Mover is never able to move them. The docker image for example.

Thanks @ChatNoir. The System share was also set up when the main array was fully intact while the shares flagged as unprotected were set up after the main array was missing a drive. While I've been using Unraid for several years, have two licenses on two servers, I'm only recently starting to make several changes and exploring some new things. I appreciate all the great people here who are very willing to help even when people like me make mistakes. It's one of the best aspects of Unraid. 

Edited by dev_guy
  • Like 1