MACVLan vs IPVLan a discussion.....

aglyons

22 hours ago, Waddoo said:

Yes, in-fact it just crashed recently...

Sorry to hear that.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone if this whole thing is a bug or if this ipvlan stuff is the permanent fix. I was unable to implement the dual NIC thing and simply changing to ipvlan rendered my system pretty much inoperable.

However, for the last week or so, it's been up with no sign of macvlan errors in the syslog. (knock on wood)

5 minutes ago, nraygun said:

Sorry to hear that.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone if this whole thing is a bug or if this ipvlan stuff is the permanent fix. I was unable to implement the dual NIC thing and simply changing to ipvlan rendered my system pretty much inoperable.

However, for the last week or so, it's been up with no sign of macvlan errors in the syslog. (knock on wood)

So turns out, in Unraid version 6.10, there is a change/update to this. I am running unraid 6.9.X for context.

The Unraid version after what I am currently running [link](https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Release_Notes/Unraid_OS_6.10.0#Docker):  > The new ipvlan mode is introduced to battle the crashes some people experience when using macvlan mode. If that is your case, change to ipvlan mode and test. Changing of mode does not require reconfiguring anything on the Docker level, internally everything is being taken care of.  Sigh, maybe it's time to upgrade sooner than later.

39 minutes ago, Waddoo said:

So turns out, in Unraid version 6.10, there is a change/update to this. I am running unraid 6.9.X for context.

The Unraid version after what I am currently running [link](https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Release_Notes/Unraid_OS_6.10.0#Docker):  > The new ipvlan mode is introduced to battle the crashes some people experience when using macvlan mode. If that is your case, change to ipvlan mode and test. Changing of mode does not require reconfiguring anything on the Docker level, internally everything is being taken care of.  Sigh, maybe it's time to upgrade sooner than later.

I tried changing the mode without reconfiguring anything and not only did the containers not resolve host names, but my host server also does not resolve host names.

I put it back, then tried to setup a second physical NIC but the interface would not show up in the containers.

So I put everything back and have been running OK since. For a while there, the macvlan errors were happening pretty often.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@aglyons

I did a rollback because my ipv6 didn't work at all since I upgraded to 6.12.4. I contacted the support and their answer is to wait another release, indeed.

But when I came back to 6.12.3 I also had to switch back to macvlan because with IPVLan all my containers have the same Mac address and my ubiquiti UDM isn't able to detect them as "separate clients". So I couldn't route them individually anymore (because they don't appear in the drop menu in the interface of the UDM).

Did you find a solution ?