[Support] manuel-rw Docker Support thread

manrw

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 2:13 PM, VelcroBP said:

I'm not finding any info in either documentation regarding an existing configuration option for permissions or how to add them to the template. I'm probably overlooking it. 

Did you have any luck getting permissions working?

I tried adding --user 99:100 as a post argument, and it's still not working.

I have to reset permissions on my downloads folder before other containers can interract with the files.

It makes sharing/contributing next to impossible, as well.

Edited by nmkaufman
59 minutes ago, nmkaufman said:

Did you have any luck getting permissions working?

I tried adding --user 99:100 as a post argument, and it's still not working.

I have to reset permissions on my downloads folder before other containers can interract with the files.

It makes sharing/contributing next to impossible, as well.

Hi,
I'd like to emphasize that I'm not the image author but only created the template.
This means I generally can't help with any modifications that do not exist in my default template that I provide.

That being said, I think you have multiple options to fix the container permissions:

• Ensure that the directories are owned by the docker user. This is usually "nobody". You can also add this user to a group on your host machine and permit write & read to this user. The application shouldn't need execute.
  • It seems that the container runs on root via default: https://github.com/slskd/slskd/blob/master/docs/docker.md . You could ensure that root can write & read on these directories.
  • In the worst case, you could permit all users to write & read. This is considered bad practice and is not recommended. However, it might not be too bad if no parts of your server are exposed.

If you still have trouble, I would suggest reaching out to the author of slskd. Keep in mind that they usually don't know "Unraid" or other distributions and they expect you to provide the docker run command (you can obtain this from Unraid). I hope this helps.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, manrw said:

Hi,
I'd like to emphasize that I'm not the image author but only created the template.
This means I generally can't help with any modifications that do not exist in my default template that I provide.

That being said, I think you have multiple options to fix the container permissions:

• Ensure that the directories are owned by the docker user. This is usually "nobody". You can also add this user to a group on your host machine and permit write & read to this user. The application shouldn't need execute.
  • It seems that the container runs on root via default: https://github.com/slskd/slskd/blob/master/docs/docker.md . You could ensure that root can write & read on these directories.
  • In the worst case, you could permit all users to write & read. This is considered bad practice and is not recommended. However, it might not be too bad if no parts of your server are exposed.

If you still have trouble, I would suggest reaching out to the author of slskd. Keep in mind that they usually don't know "Unraid" or other distributions and they expect you to provide the docker run command (you can obtain this from Unraid). I hope this helps.

I will play around with it, this weekend.

I believe the problem is that it's creating files, owned by ROOT, while other containers use NOBODY, by default.

It's not setting permissions that allow other users to access the files.

The easiest solution would be to set the UMASK, but I tried passing a UMASK environmental variable to the container, and it didn't seem to work. I did see a reddit thread where someone claimed this worked, though, so I'm going to further experiment.

Edited by nmkaufman
17 minutes ago, nmkaufman said:

I will play around with it, this weekend.

I believe the problem is that it's creating files, owned by ROOT, while other containers use NOBODY, by default.

It's not setting permissions that allow other users to access the files.

The easiest solution would be to set the UMASK, but I tried passing a UMASK environmental variable to the container, and it didn't seem to work. I did see a reddit thread where someone claimed this worked, though, so I'm going to further experiment.

Sounds good 👍.

If you still have any trouble after that I would suggest that you open an slskd issue.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 6:21 AM, Maitresinh said:
 shares:
  - directories: "/musique"

is working fine. Thanks

That's all you put in your config.yml and it works???  I've been messing with this for days and still get the error:

Failed to scan share /Media/Music: Could not find a part of the path '/Media/Music'

I've tried it all the way from /mnt/user/Media/Music and still get the same error no matter what configuration I use.  Your full path is /musique and that's all???  You didnt' add some PATH to the original docker container or anything like that?  Just edited the YML?

Edited by CoZ
On 3/2/2024 at 5:06 PM, manrw said:

Please note that you must mount your directories to inside the container using a path mode (prefer read-only if possible). Then reference this path using the config.

This might be my issue.  Why does the docker container template not have those PATHs "built into" the template?  Should the template not have a blank entry for Downloads and Incomplete and Music folder that the user than fills in like other docker templates???