UPGRADE: i9-13900K / MSI MAG B660M MORTAR

Hello fellow Unraid users,

I am planning on upgrading my current server to something with more power.
Currently running 32 containers. Including Plex Media Server. But I notice when I want to use a VM (Ubuntu) the cpu will spike to 80% without even doing something in the VM. My Idea is to run OBS in a VM but it isn't doable because the cpu will max out. Will my upgrade be any help?

Current build:

• Intel® Core™ i3-10100 CPU
  • PRIME B460M-A
  • 32 DDR4 RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

New Build:

• Intel® Core™ i9-13900K
  • MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi DDR4
  • 32 DDR4 RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

I am aware of the higher power consumption. So I will have to Upgrade my PSU from SeaSonic 550 to a 850.

Any help, tips and or advice are welcome :)
  • 2 weeks later...

You may want to check around on the b660 chipset with 13th gen cpu.  I thought I read there were some issues with power consumption and overheating.  Something about not being able to adjust pl1/2 settings.  Unless you already have it I’d think going for a z790/690 would make more sense for the added pcie lanes.

• 3 weeks later...

B660 only has x16 lanes to the first PCIE slot, x4 PCIE lanes to the first M.2 slot and x4 PCIE lanes to the chipset that everything else that plugs into the board will run through. 

You need to count up the amount of PCIE lanes all your hardware needs to run at full bandwidth then choose a MB that has enough. Otherwise a lot of things will share bandwidth through the 4 chipset lanes. It will work but... 

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, dank2021 said:

I have this board and can not seem to get unRAID to boot. Any help would be appreciated I think my boot settings aren't correct just goes to the bios every option I have tried so far.

Have turned off fastboot. Does usb flash drive show in boot options?

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...