Allow others access to unRAID?

Paak

I've had a lot of family members ask me if it was possible for them to access my unRAID and watch movies or download stuff from it.  At first I just blew them off and said NO, but then my mom asked about doing it to get pictures of my daughter and now I'm a little curious if it is possible or not.  Maybe just give them READ only privileges (wouldn't want someone accidentally deleteing something)? 

I've had a lot of family members ask me if it was possible for them to access my unRAID and watch movies or download stuff from it.  At first I just blew them off and said NO, but then my mom asked about doing it to get pictures of my daughter and now I'm a little curious if it is possible or not.  Maybe just give them READ only privileges (wouldn't want someone accidentally deleteing something)?  

Are you talking about over the internet, or on your local LAN?  There is a huge difference and I do not suggest opening unRAID up to the world.

My suggestion would be to put photos up to something like Picasa Web or the like for them to download from there.

I've had a lot of family members ask me if it was possible for them to access my unRAID and watch movies or download stuff from it.  At first I just blew them off and said NO, but then my mom asked about doing it to get pictures of my daughter and now I'm a little curious if it is possible or not.  Maybe just give them READ only privileges (wouldn't want someone accidentally deleteing something)? 

Are you talking about over the internet, or on your local LAN?  There is a huge difference and I do suggest opening unRAID up to the world.

My suggestion would be to put photos up to something like Picasa Web or the like for them to download from there.

Actually I think you meant "don't suggest opening..." above.

Are you talking about over the internet, or on your local LAN?  There is a huge difference and I do suggest opening unRAID up to the world.

Actually I think you meant "don't suggest opening..." above.

Thank you for pointing that out.  My auto correct/expand application delete the "not" in "do not" for whatever reason.

I ment opening it up to over the internet, I don't plan on doing it but was just curious if it was possible.  That was one of many things I told my family: not possible, doing so invites other people to snoop through it, yada yada yada.  Just curious if it was possible or not.

You can, but you would have to port forward your outside connections on your router to your unRAID server. However if you do that anybody would be port forwarded to your router. Loved ones and even those you don't love.

I personally use a PogoPlug for that. Meaning its a little electronic device I have on my network that dangles out there and allows others to connect to it. I upload photos or whatever I want and I can connect to it on my network as a P: drive.

Of course there is always DropBox or several other file sharing sites if you don't want to buy hardware.

I'd use a seperate box (virtual machine, real machine, etc) have that box mount a share, and share it utilizing ftp, torrents, dc++, whatever you want. Ensure security on that box is good, and only allow the ports required for whichever filesharing client you prefer in. Some routers will allow you to setup a port from only *subnet* or *specific ip*.

Archived