Getting Started with Sickbeard and Couchpotato

fonzie

I'm about to get into newsgroups and need a little advice before delving in.  I want to have SABnzbd+, Sickbeard and Couchpotato running on my unRAID 4.7 server that has a cache drive.

-Which is a good newsgroup provider (around $10 U.S.) that will be compatible with these programs?

-Are the instructions on the Wiki page the most current and recommended process for installing these programs?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Install_Python_based_servers#Install

-Any advice, warnings, info that can be given to me before I start this process will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

fonzie

I went with astraweb a couple of weeks ago but they sucked. They said they were having problems but I was getting a lot of missing blocks.

Installing,... idk im having problems with my SAB install so I'm not the best to give advice.

I've been using usenetserver and had good luck. I think a year is about $96US.

Those instructions will work for downloading, just change the wget line for SAB to 0.6.6 to get the latest version. The set-up part has changed somewhat so that page won't be too much help there.

There are unMENU package for these apps now.

Peter

I'm considering going with Astraweb, but on Sickbeard's site it says:

"It currently supports NZBs.org, NZBMatrix, NZBs'R'Us, Newzbin, Womble's Index, NZB.su, TVTorrents and EZRSS"

...so does Astraweb work with Sickbeard?

also, I've heard that there can be problems of spinning down disks when you have Sab/Sicbkeard/Couch Potato installed on your unRAID macchine.  Is this still an issue?  What can be done to remedy it?

I'm considering going with Astraweb, but on Sickbeard's site it says:

"It currently supports NZBs.org, NZBMatrix, NZBs'R'Us, Newzbin, Womble's Index, NZB.su, TVTorrents and EZRSS"

...so does Astraweb work with Sickbeard?

also, I've heard that there can be problems of spinning down disks when you have Sab/Sicbkeard/Couch Potato installed on your unRAID macchine.  Is this still an issue?  What can be done to remedy it?

Sickbeard is talking about NZB indexing sites. Astraweb is a newsgroup provider.

I'm about to get into newsgroups and need a little advice before delving in.  I want to have SABnzbd+, Sickbeard and Couchpotato running on my unRAID 4.7 server that has a cache drive.

-Which is a good newsgroup provider (around $10 U.S.) that will be compatible with these programs?

-Are the instructions on the Wiki page the most current and recommended process for installing these programs?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Install_Python_based_servers#Install

-Any advice, warnings, info that can be given to me before I start this process will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

fonzie

I've used several newsgroups but ended up with SuperNews. I loved Giganews I think they are the best but I couldn't afford their high price. It was like $29/month!!! That's crazy for these days.

I'm wondering why no one is using the direct download providers (eg Fileserve, Filesonic, Megaupload etc).  Typically they are only around $5/mth.  They are fast (basically any downloads will fill whatever speed pipe you have). There is very little in the way of crap files too (ie 99%+ files are what they say they are).

Once you get to know a few good link sites the whole process of searching and downloading is incredibly easy (HDArena.org for example, also many downloads will include a bookmark link file to other good link sites).

The best download application for this is jdownloader.

I've used torrents and newsgroups in the past, but I've been (very very happily) using direct downloads for the past couple of years, which has led to my only complaint which is that I'm now addicted to anything High-Def/Bluray, and my library fills up fast.  So thank goodness for Unraid and it's scalable storage solution!

Anyway, am I missing something (as to why everyone seems to be going with other technologies)?

I want to move to newsgroups because it has the automation aspect that I think is just incredibly useful.  I make my wishlists for movies and shows and it will simply download them (in the quality I desire) whenever they become available, with me not even having to be near a computer.  This is the reason I am moving from torrents to newsgroups (and everyone praises newsgroups so I need to give it a shot)

So about the disk spinning down issues, can anyone address that?

• 1 month later...

I want to move to newsgroups because it has the automation aspect that I think is just incredibly useful.  I make my wishlists for movies and shows and it will simply download them (in the quality I desire) whenever they become available, with me not even having to be near a computer.  This is the reason I am moving from torrents to newsgroups (and everyone praises newsgroups so I need to give it a shot)

So about the disk spinning down issues, can anyone address that?

The issue with disk spin-down is due to logging and other such background uses the servers make.  For instance, if SickBeard looks for new shows every hour, then the spin-down of the disk it is on would never trigger.  I've handled this by installing them on my cache drive and not really caring about the fact it is spun-up all the time.  Other people have solved it with RAM disks, but that is more complex.  The other option is to search less frequently.

I've been with Giganews for 4-5 years now.  I do pay for their $29/mo plan, but this is unlimited encrypted downloads with over 1000 days of binary retention and IIRC ~50 connections. It also gets me the Vypr VPN service that I have used a few times while overseas.

As others have said, you need the provider first, then they will allow you to grab items from the indexing sites.

I'm using supernews and usenetserver right now.  Both were 10 a month for unlimited traffic.  I am basically trying both out for a month and will cancel one before the second month begins.  Since getting sab/cp/sb installed on a machine without any memory problems both news providers have worked perfectly.

I actually have them setup on a random frankenputer sitting in the corner with unraid on it and just 1 drive.  I honestly did that just so I could use the plugin scripts for unraid beta 11 or higher from the forums rather than install a full normal os and install the apps normally.  It's a bit slow unraring but it's not like it's tying up any needed resources.

Brian

Archived